What Lego set did you buy today?

6 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

sorry newbie here

yea clayface says retired on lego site?  https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Clayface-Splat-Attack-70904

so is 30-40% of a retired product any good?  jeez i have alot of learning to do

Hi there, Also a noobie too. 

From what I've learnt so far...don't buy sets that may be reproduced over and over again. Super Heroes sets have had numerous versions of the same sets and minifigs so they don't normally do so well as investment items. Also if the supermarkets are struggling to get rid of them (even at discount) then you may struggle to make money on the set (after selling fees). 

Even Star wars sets are being made and remade which is making them unsuitable for investment. 

Buying retired sets is good but just make sure they're the right ones. Nobody can predict the future though.

Good picks are usually sets with a short production span and that are quite unique. 

Good luck with it all, take your time and do your research, there's load of info in these forums.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Manse1001 said:

75185 @ 39 - Tracker
70904@18 (aren’t these retired now) ? - Clayface (retired)
75139 @ £29 - Battle on Takodana (retired)
75171@38 - Battle on Scarif - (retired)
75532@£30 - Scout Trooper Speeder Bike

Always worth mentioning set names to save others the trouble. All still seem a bit steap still, scout trooper is a nice set at £30 for personal build. Would probably skip the others.

The fact they are all 20 deep probably gives you the indication you need . . . .

Any doubt, look at eBay sold listings to gauge recently sold listings and see if there is any meat on the bone.

I went to tesco today to get the baby out of the wife’s hair for a while so spent some time with the self scanner. The prices displayed for most of the sale sets bear no correlation to what they scan for, I spent ages scanning pretty much every one, identifying the deals you did. I passed on everything apart from a friends set which was under half RRP for the little girl. However, I’ve just sold it at £15 profit within an hour ? oops!

Almost went for a few of the clayface splat attacks, but if I don’t like it, I don’t buy it. And I think it’s horrible!

7 minutes ago, richiej1979 said:

Hi there, Also a noobie too. 

From what I've learnt so far...don't buy sets that may be reproduced over and over again. Super Heroes sets have had numerous versions of the same sets and minifigs so they don't normally do so well as investment items. Also if the supermarkets are struggling to get rid of them (even at discount) then you may struggle to make money on the set (after selling fees). 

Even Star wars sets are being made and remade which is making them unsuitable for investment. 

Buying retired sets is good but just make sure they're the right ones. Nobody can predict the future though.

Good picks are usually sets with a short production span and that are quite unique. 

Good luck with it all, take your time and do your research, there's load of info in these forums.

thanks

see i thought 70915 The Batman Movie Two-Face Double Demolition would have been a good one @ £35 not been out that long, now retired. surely no chance of release again?

thanks for our replys guys

Edited by joneyyy1981

1 minute ago, joneyyy1981 said:

thanks

see i thought 70915 The Batman Movie Two-Face Double Demolition would have been a good one @ £35 now been out that long now retired. surely no chance the realese that again?

thanks for our replys guys

Maybe not exactly the same but there's been numerous Batman vehicles and those minifigures aren't that unique either. You've got to deduct 15% for fees and any postage costs too. Also make sure you look at sold listings only.

Again, I'm not the best person to give anyone advice but I'd steer clear on the Super Heroes sets for now.

Ninjago green dragon Polybag went to £2 at Tesco today so swooped a couple of stores for 105 in total.

Saw a random Sonic Dimensions pack dumped on the shelf, scanned at £7.50, which led me to a glorious clearance shelf.

• Wonder Woman, Superman, Fantastic Beasts, A-Team fun packs at £3.75
  • Sonic, M:I level packs at £7.50
  • Scooby Doo and Harry Potter team packs at £7.50
  • Potter and Ghostbusters story packs at £10 each.

Left the Bennys and the Emmets, swept the rest!

After not being able to find a 75149 Resistance X-Wing Fighter around me on clearance or on this site I bought one on BL.  As it turns out the seller lives 25-30 miles from me and offered local pick-up.  This is a small win for me because of not having to pay RRP/MSRP and no shipping charges.  Still dreaming about one for $30 at Walmart...Nothing but phantom stock and no The Phantoms on sale either.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LegoWalker4 said:

After not being able to find a 75149 Resistance X-Wing Fighter around me on clearance or on this site I bought one on BL.  As it turns out the seller lives 25-30 miles from me and offered local pick-up.  This is a small win for me because of not having to pay RRP/MSRP and no shipping charges.  Still dreaming about one for $30 at Walmart...Nothing but phantom stock and no The Phantoms on sale either.

See you Friday :)

• Like 6

Bought this for 110 at my local thrift store. Used, and guessing that it is all there.031776344af337c431956b6a2c1ee641.jpga31d80ffbd93267cf67092cc4d593b2d.jpg
T

Update- did a quick search on the contents and was pleasantly surprised to see all the baseplates, minifigures and other set - specific parts there. Hard to fathom someone dropping over $350 on a Lego set, building it, and then getting rid of it.
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, labfreak7 said:

Update- did a quick search on the contents and was pleasantly surprised to see all the baseplates, minifigures and other set - specific parts there. Hard to fathom someone dropping over $350 on a Lego set, building it, and then getting rid of it.

I've met a few people like that. They enjoy the building process a lot...the maintaining a collection part, not so much.

Guest TabbyBoy
45 minutes ago, CrabslayerT said:

Just grabbed a shield Heli Carrier BNIB for £196. Think I did OK with that

Well done, you should clear £10 after fees in a year's time ;-)

Guest TabbyBoy
46 minutes ago, andyposterfan said:

Not in London! 2 pints set me back £11.50 the other day!

That'll only get you 2/3 of a pint in Reykjavik!

I've just swung by Smyths in Farnborough and picked up what seems to be their last 71006 Simpsons House for £150. I'd normally not bother, but I have a £225 buyer lined up already who's collecting it over the weekend. The box has a tiny ding (I got a discount) and the buyer's OK with it.

5x 60107 Fire Ladder Truck for £4.49 each.