What Lego set did you buy today?

Bought this lot on EBay recently:

s-l1600.jpg

Finished inventorying and rebuilding them - very clean and no pieces missing. Manuals included. Paid $175 and used $10 in EBay Bucks to bring the price down to $165.

I have all of these still MISB in my personal inventory (except the Mini which I already built). Given that the F40 is heading towards $300 territory on FBA, I figured it was worthwhile picking these up for ~$40 each used. The MISB sets will end up on FBA or EBay in the near future (though for the T1 I am not sure when that will be, and how long it will take for the millions of copies amassed by resellers since 2011 to disappear).

I loved the builds - lots of interesting tricks used in putting these cars together. Previous owner was a collector and was meticulous about sticker placement, which is a plus.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Phil B said:

Bought this lot on EBay recently:

Finished inventorying and rebuilding them - very clean and no pieces missing. Manuals included. Paid $175 and used $10 in EBay Bucks to bring the price down to $165.

I have all of these still MISB in my personal inventory (except the Mini which I already built). Given that the F40 is heading towards $300 territory on FBA, I figured it was worthwhile picking these up for ~$40 each used. The MISB sets will end up on FBA or EBay in the near future (though for the T1 I am not sure when that will be, and how long it will take for the millions of copies amassed by resellers since 2011 to disappear).

I loved the builds - lots of interesting tricks used in putting these cars together. Previous owner was a collector and was meticulous about sticker placement, which is a plus.

That Ferrari is worth $300?  I picked one up years ago for $50 used w/ the manual.  Even have a 2nd sticker sheet.  When I tried to sell it for $75 recently, had zero takers.

13 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

That Ferrari is worth $300?  I picked one up years ago for $50 used w/ the manual.  Even have a 2nd sticker sheet.  When I tried to sell it for $75 recently, had zero takers.

yeah, I've been in the market to get the F40; here's the low down:

basically used in great condition (good stickers) goes for $65-$95...shipping cost is a big variable

new, you can get it NISB fro $120-$150 on BL plus tax and shipping

BL should be the standard for pricing...Amazon pricing for the non-mainstream sets is often times a reseller's wet dream price

8 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

yeah, I've been in the market to get the F40; here's the low down:

basically used in great condition (good stickers) goes for $65-$95...shipping cost is a big variable

new, you can get it NISB fro $120-$150 on BL plus tax and shipping

BL should be the standard for pricing...Amazon pricing for the non-mainstream sets is often times a reseller's wet dream price

Cheapest New offering (US Only) on EBay is $299 w Free Shipping (There is one for $161 with bidding at $90 but it only claims to be Brand New, seems to be a used set though). Lowest Used (excluding auctions currently in progress) is $111.

FBA is $249.99 at the moment

"Normal" customers do not know about BL so that is no comparison.

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Phil B said:

Cheapest New offering (US Only) on EBay is $299 w Free Shipping (There is one for $161 with bidding at $90 but it only claims to be Brand New, seems to be a used set though). Lowest Used (excluding auctions currently in progress) is $111.

FBA is $249.99 at the moment

"Normal" customers do not know about BL so that is no comparison.

Just did a search for NEW on ebay...not a single one sold for over $200...NOT A SINGLE ONE

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

4 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Just did a search for NEW on ebay...not a single one sold for over $200...NOT A SINGLE ONE

In the meanwhile, the BuyBox for New on FBA has moved to $258. Sales rank #1053 in Building Toys, 26568 in Toys overall. Which means it sells pretty well for a large set.

On 7/26/2019 at 11:51 AM, Phil B said:

In the meanwhile, the BuyBox for New on FBA has moved to $258. Sales rank #1053 in Building Toys, 26568 in Toys overall. Which means it sells pretty well for a large set.

let's choose to disagree on how one defines the current market value.

Since I mostly sell on Ebay and cannot on Amazon...I don't really consider Amazon prices as the price I might get....but I do a reality check on BL for sets i am buying on ebay. That said, Amazon does "Set the market price" for non-Ebay for a given time when comparing to mainstream retailers. There's no black or white and the goal post moves pending on the time, set, phases of the moon, etc.

I appreciate the discussion

3 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Since I mostly sell on Ebay and cannot on Amazon...I don't really consider Amazon prices as the price I might get....but I do a reality check on BL for sets i am buying on ebay. That said, Amazon does "Set the market price" for non-Ebay for a given time when comparing to mainstream retailers. There's no black or white and the goal post moves pending on the time, set, phases of the moon, etc.

Your arguments make sense in the generic case - but since this was a one-off purchase (there aren't more of these "4 creator car set" listings for the same price available), and since the purchase was made by me, who has MISB versions of each car on the shelf, and who has access to FBA, the prices I quoted are accurate as a justification for my purchase of the listing in question. If I list my MISB 10248 F40 on FBA now, I will clear ~$200 minus my purchase price (~$80). Similarly, I will make money on selling the other sets, since I got all of them for significantly below RRP. I'm sure I will end up paying nothing for these 4 cars once the smoke clears, hopefully with some extra money to boot.

That's where I was coming from. And ignoring that, $40 each for these cars in "Used but complete with stickers and instructions" state is IMHO a good price to pay regardless, hence why I posted my purchase in this thread.

• Like 2

Defining market price is easy...just look at the price you can sell as an item for in a given MARKET.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

Defining market price is easy...just look at the price you can sell as an item for in a given MARKET.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

• Like 1

I got both sets super fast! However one box had holes and tears and dents, the other came with one bigger dent and some smaller smashes. Both boxes had some creased corners. After a lot of negotiation. I got $16 of a refund back. So I goth both sets for a total of $70 or $35 a piece! 

Two more purchased for the amusement park collection (bit on the Carousel with $40 off in VIP but added on the 3-in-1 to get the bag and blanket promo).  I still need to build a table for it I'm thinking 4' x 8' with a train encompassing the park.  Next up is the Creator Expert Roller Coaster and I think I'm good!

20190816_213200.jpg

• Like 6