What Lego set did you buy today?

What I am trying to say is that the concepts behind Bionicle, Chima, Nexo Knights etc. appeal to kids in the age 5-10 range. When my son looks at a LEGO catalog, he is drawn to these fiction themes with all their play functions. He likes SW too, but the more imaginative stuff attracts him. The conversations I typically overhear in stores like WM and Target go around the same lines.

I am not at all saying there is much investment value in these sets, but the sub-$30 sets are what I consider pocket-money sets, anything above that becomes "gift from (grand)parents" territory. And for pocket-money sets kids choose either the fantasy themes or Star Wars (also fantasy, but more respected by the AFOLs).

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Phil B said:

The "deal" is that you want to be in a store that hasn't updated its shelftags yet, because that deterrs the non-informed resellers and leaves more chances of finding good stuff on the shelf.

I find this happens more than you might think. For instance, there is a WM near me that has about 8 of the Captain Rex 75157 on the shelf, marked at $89. App and scanner says $59. I picked up one, but leaving the others in the off chance that they make it to $30, at which point I would scoop them up. If they aren't selling at $89 (already a good discount over RRP), reselling them might not be worth the effort. At $30, it's easy money.

Also found a random 60059 (Logging Truck) on the shelf, which I grabbed for $19.97. Seals marked 36R4, so might have found it's way back from a trailer.

4 minutes ago, Xmeric said:

Also found a random 60059 (Logging Truck) on the shelf, which I grabbed for $19.97. Seals marked 36R4, so might have found it's way back from a trailer.

That one was a hidden gem at some point. I think prices have dropped a little, recent sales on EBay have been around $50 shipped, but at some point it was pushing $75-$80. Nice find.

Just ordered a 31052 Vacation Getaways from Kmart. Original price was $66 less $12 surprise points (off $60) less $4 SYW points redeemed + $3 tax = $53 total. In addition, I'm getting a $10 statement credit from Amex (offer was spend $50, get $10 back at Sears online but it's working online for Kmart too), and I'm getting $24.50 back in SYW points as well. That's my best SYW magic in a while!

Edited by Jivepicnic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sfcommando14 said:

Still out buying, but I found 2x Ghosts for $95 each and a bulk lot for $40 that included this
0eaa5f4aac9d8f21ed068cdb29f9c95f.png
1ada198683ccd096f657afe092d29135.png

Holy hockeysticks, so jealous. I desperately need a Emerald Night for next-to-nothing. Oh, and I spot clone-brand bricks in that lot, so be careful with sorting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jivepicnic said:

Just ordered a 31052 Vacation Getaways from Kmart. Original price was $66 less $12 surprise points (off $60) less $4 SYW points redeemed + $3 tax = $53 total. In addition, I'm getting a $10 statement credit from Amex (offer was spend $50, get $10 back at Sears online but it's working online for Kmart too), and I'm getting $24.50 back in SYW points as well. That's my best SYW magic in a while!

I also ordered  some from Kmart via Sears.com, to use the Amex off ($10 back of $ 50 spending): Deli Corner $29.99, SW 75131 $10.69, and SW 75088 $10.69. However, I only got $10.5 in SYW points, do not know how you can get $ 24.5 SYW points.

4 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

If you're talking Target, it's been pretty wide spread. Sometime about two months ago, Series 5 started showing up by the case load at every target near me.

No this is in the UK, alot of the big retailers have nothing now, so you have to go to small independent toy shops to pick up remaining stock.

• Like 1

I also ordered  some from Kmart via Sears.com, to use the Amex off ($10 back of $ 50 spending): Deli Corner $29.99, SW 75131 $10.69, and SW 75088 $10.69. However, I only got $10.5 in SYW points, do not know how you can get $ 24.5 SYW points.

I also had some weird offer where I earned $14 in SYW points by spending a cumulative $285 or something like that over the past few weeks. This purchase put me over that threshold so I got those points too.

LEGO Star Wars Advent 75146 for $19.99 at local Kroger marketplace (only one in stock). For those interested Kroger Marketplace (at my local store) has most LEGO items 20% off.

Passed on opened (and resealed) Duplo 10810 Train (reduced to $18) and slightly damaged box LEGO Garbage Truck 60118 reduced to $11.   

If you have a local "Bargain Hunt" store you should check it out quickly. All toys are 50% off. There wasn't much left at my store. Picked up a LOZ Nanoblocks Saint Basils's Cathedral 9375 (1860 pieces) for $6. The build isn't great but I bought it for the parts.

Edited by ponderingzissou

There are higher buy-ins and there are lower buy-ins.  I think you'll make money at that price, but nobody can tell you how much and when.  Place your chips and let it ride.

Alright thanks found this and a atst (new set) ~25 and was considering purchasing them. Or multiples if I can. I know the atst would be a great buy at that price.

Here's my haul from my Christmas trip through Georgia . Told my wife if we made a few stops I could make some gas money. I guess I caught the Georgia Brick Pickers slippin'
Most everything was Bought for 25-55% off.
e35dc01c0139ac0af1591ec0f68c9443.jpg

Today I picked up about 3 dozen of those bowling poly bags. Will be good for goodie bags at least.

• Like 3