What Lego set did you buy today?

Got some of the older 2000 star wars technic sets for cheap on ebay today. 8000. 8001, and 8012 respectively. All of them slightly used but in very nice condition wit original boxes/instructions etc. Still looking for that elusive technic droideka (destroyer droid) at a decent price that won't bankrupt me.

Got some of the older 2000 star wars technic sets for cheap on ebay today. 8000. 8001, and 8012 respectively. All of them slightly used but in very nice condition wit original boxes/instructions etc. Still looking for that elusive technic droideka (destroyer droid) at a decent price that won't bankrupt me.

I have some of the Star Wars Technic sets in my collection, but I have yet to find the Destroyer Droid at a good price. If you really want it, I would advise buying a used that does not have the box. It could be slightly cheaper and you would finally get the set.

I got a lot of used Lego off Goodwill. I got burned on the last lot, but they ended up allowing me to return that one since the sets were glued together. Anyway, I was super excited that this new lot had Harry Potter 5378. It includes all of the minifigs (even Professor Umbridge) and the instructions. Plus there are a bunch of as yet unknown star wars sets in the box. I will hopefully double my money just on the Harry Potter set alone plus my daughter and husband got to build it together, which was really fun.

• Like 3

I got a lot of used Lego off Goodwill. I got burned on the last lot, but they ended up allowing me to return that one since the sets were glued together. Anyway, I was super excited that this new lot had Harry Potter 5378. It includes all of the minifigs (even Professor Umbridge) and the instructions. Plus there are a bunch of as yet unknown star wars sets in the box. I will hopefully double my money just on the Harry Potter set alone plus my daughter and husband got to build it together, which was really fun.

Nice find! How much did you pay for the lot? Do you just go in to Goodwill and they have Legos laying around? I've never gotten Lego there.
  • Like 1

Last year, I did a lot of buying on Goodwill.  And while I've had some fantastic finds - the coal tender and passenger car from Emerald Night, some HP sets (complete), Boeing 787 (10177), NIB Santa Fe Super Chief - I've also been burned a few times as well.  I've got a Friends Summer Riding Camp that's missing two whole bags (everything else is sealed).  I've got a Darkseid Invasion missing an entire bag (everything is sealed).  I had an Indiana Jones set that was advertised as "complete!" with no picture of the contents.  Got it home, and it was $5 of Lego junk.

Darkseid Invasion, I'm going to order the parts I'm missing.  It's obvious it was a salvage/damaged box, and that one of the bags was swiped or fell out of a hold in the box.  Fortunately, it's only part of the ship, and not the minifigs (which is what's important to me).  The Summer Riding Camp, I'm just going to inventory, and eventually order the missing parts.

Indiana Jones, I actually wrote them a letter, and told them how badly what was described differed from what was sent to me.  They were fine with that, asked me to send it back, paid the postage to send it back, and refunded me my entire amount.

It's up to you what to do.  If they didn't list it as glued, and they have pictures of it out, it's reasonable to say that it's not as described.  I get that they sell it "as is", but, there's also an expectation that you, as a consumer, would be getting Lego blocks, not glued Lego blocks.  It's a bit inherent in the product.  They have a responsibility, as a sell, to accurately describe, to the best of their ability, what they are selling.

It's reasonable to say that they might not be aware that a bag is missing, or parts are missing from bags.  But if they've handled the product, and put it on display for pictures, knowing that it's Lego (and yes, Goodwills are quite knowledgeable that Lego are valuable), then they owe it to you to make it right.

In my mind, it's a little different than eBay, since the one holding the auction is the seller.  They certainly rake in the dough - they overcharge (IMO) on shipping, and adding in a handling fee is really pretty ridiculous. 

It's ultimately up to you, though.  It depends on how much you spent.  $20?  Eh, oh well.  The money is going to a good cause.  Over $50?  If most of it is not salvageable, then you should consider contacting them.

Hey Alpinemaps, I decided to contact them and they told me to send the package back for a refund. However since they do not refund shipping and handling fees (which were about $30 or so) and I have to ship it back at my expense, I asked if I could keep the Lego that were not glued together and they said yes. I was on vacation last week, so I'll be sending the package back to them tomorrow. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1

Nice find! How much did you pay for the lot? Do you just go in to Goodwill and they have Legos laying around? I've never gotten Lego there.

It's goodwill online. I very rarely find any Lego at the actual stores. I am pretty sure the people who do the sorting in the back send it off to their regional headquarters to be auctioned on the goodwill website. I paid $140. My husband has banned me from online goodwill shopping for a while. ;-)

• Like 1