Retiring Soon - open speculation

This is one of the few LEGO sets I have on display in my collection.  I think it looks awesome in person and a lot of people take notice of it right away. 

Absolutely...I just put one on display a month ago and it stands out among all the sets and gets the most attention.

Is the R2 set a nice build? For some reason, it just doesn't appeal to me, and I don't buy sets I don't like. I want to get one, but keep holding off.

This is a must have for a star wars Lego fan. Really good build, great detail and displays well.

However, if you don't believe in the set then you should buy other sets. At that price point you can buy modulars, maersk ships or Orthanc towers instead. I only buy sets that I trust to increase in value and we can't buy everything.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Brickpicker mobile app

I'm sure I'm just blind, or its obvious in some other way. But I see people say how much amazon has left in stock and I'm not sure how you see that total, I know when it gets really low they do display it, but I never see it in the hundreds.

Add item to cart. Edit quantity in cart to 999. And voila

Add item to cart. Edit quantity in cart to 999. And voila

Word of caution though. If situation with SSD inventory numbers on Amazon taught us anything, then it is that these numbers might one morning not mean anything. One day you could add 999 SSDs and get to last checkout screen with entire 999 amount, next day we saw "only 9 left, more is on the way", but you still could add 999 to the card, you just could get to final checkout screen with only 9. And there are still no signs of "more is on the way", unless they meant June-July, if they meant anything at all

Dropping pretty fast.  I was watching yesterday to see if it was going to be refilled when lego went back to in stock but no such luck.  Until LEgo fills my back orders I will not buy anymore from them.  Too many back orders.  Amazon sucks at only two at a time.

The R2-D2 has been out 2 years this month,Like I said before if the set is going to retire its usually at the end of the year, so the set is a good seller and if it is retiring it will be at the end of the year, so look I have 23 going for 30 or so but I see no reason to Panic, and I would rather go to the Lego store and pay the extra $8.00 or so tax then to order them from Amazon or Walmart as the chances are high that the boxes will be damaged. Do picking up a Droid once a month or so is a good idea as you want to have this set as a money maker down the road. Ed

• Like 4

The R2-D2 has been out 2 years this month,Like I said before if the set is going to retire its usually at the end of the year, so the set is a good seller and if it is retiring it will be at the end of the year, so look I have 23 going for 30 or so but I see no reason to Panic, and I would rather go to the Lego store and pay the extra $8.00 or so tax then to order them from Amazon or Walmart as the chances are high that the boxes will be damaged. Do picking up a Droid once a month or so is a good idea as you want to have this set as a money maker down the road. Ed

Interesting note on the box condition Ed. Is that a preference of yours or do you get that complaint / demand from customers for mint boxes? I ask since the prevailing opinion on this site seems to be that box condition is irrelevant.

I agree with you, and prefer mint boxes myself, as I don't want to have to caveat all my auctions with "box may have some shelfwear" or worse have to individually ID which boxes are mint, which are 9/10 which are 5/10, etc.

Interesting note on the box condition Ed. Is that a preference of yours or do you get that complaint / demand from customers for mint boxes? I ask since the prevailing opinion on this site seems to be that box condition is irrelevant.

I agree with you, and prefer mint boxes myself, as I don't want to have to caveat all my auctions with "box may have some shelfwear" or worse have to individually ID which boxes are mint, which are 9/10 which are 5/10, etc.

I think at the end of the day, everyone wants the best boxes possible.  Why risk getting pancakes in the mail when you can go to the Lego Store (if you're by one) and get mint boxes.  R2 will be around until the end of the year, so panic buying is not necessary.  He thinks it's worth it to even though he's paying extra in terms of sales tax, since you're probably going to have to price your dented box a little less than the minty boxes everyone else is selling.

Whichever seller has better feedback .

If the buyer plans on opening, they don't care about the box. But to each their own.

Exactly what you said.  Feedback / and if you want to build it or not.  If I'm building it, I don't give two squats about condition of the box.  Hell, take it out of the box to see if shipping is cheaper if I'm building it.

Box condition is far from irrelevant........take two identical listings the only difference being box condition, which one are you gonna buy?

I think more need to be factored in than just box condition.

Those who think box condition gets the highest priority: when you have a lot of competitors selling the same sets on eBay, then buyers will of course go for the mint box if the price isn't too much higher.

Those who say box condition isn't a big deal: when the sets become rare and very very expensive (>500% earning) and you own one of the 5 or 10 sets on eBay, a different story.

A $20 difference for box condition is huge for a $100 set but nothing for a $1000 set. I do not think the difference between mint/worn boxes goes proportional to the selling price.

• Like 1

Identical meant feedback as well.........leave me alone I want to think I'm not the only box snob around these parts lol

I'm a total box snob to the point that I'll take a risk on a seller with way less feedback. I also pay more for a good box - anywhere from 10% on smaller sets to 5% on larger (hundreds of $) sets.

Sent from my iPod touch using Brickpicker

• Like 1

Identical meant feedback as well.........leave me alone I want to think I'm not the only box snob around these parts lol

I agree that if absolutely all things are identical other than box condition, then the better box would be chosen. I think in the grand scheme of things it isn't a big deal as there are far more people buying expensive, retired sets to open and build than there are looking to save them in the box. Given the choice, I always choose the best box possible, but I've learned over time that it just doesn't make that much of a difference in the end.

Box condition is far from irrelevant........take two identical listings the only difference being box condition, which one are you gonna buy?

If the set is highly desirable and offered at market price, BOTH will sell.  I will give you the one with better box will be sold 5 seconds before the one with crappy box. :)