Sorting Used Lego

Quick question regarding sorting.  I have bins of Legos from when I was younger.  I was wondering if I should try to sort them by shape and color or try to make full sets out of them?  They're from '95-'01. Nothing super special from what I can recall.

Sorting a big pile of used Lego has been one of the big tasks I've done over the last year off and on.  When I moved house a few years ago (I had gone into a bit of a "mini-dark ages" at the time) I stupidly brokedown about 50 Star Wars Lego sets I had and put them all in one big box all mixed up!  :mad:   I have now just finished sorting through and rebuilding all the sets as I'm selling most of them.  It really was a mission.

My tactic was to sort the initial pile into seperate clear bags by colour or type. e.g. I had bags labelled small black, small white, grey plates, slopes, hinges, round parts, etc.  Just kind of what made it easier to find pieces in a smaller hunt.  Then I went through the inventory of parts for the set on Bricklink or Peeron and made up each one.

Good luck  ;)

Quick question regarding sorting.  I have bins of Legos from when I was younger.  I was wondering if I should try to sort them by shape and color or try to make full sets out of them?  They're from '95-'01. Nothing super special from what I can recall.

You should sort them by shape and color and then make full sets out of them.  Trust me, putting in a little bit of time on the front end sorting the parts will save you a ton of time on the back end putting the sets together if you are dealing with any significant volume of Lego.