New Feature: Brickpicker Community Blogs

Great! one question though. Does this mean that what Ed posted on the review contest thread does not apply anymore? I mean, we can now then start posting our articles ourselves directly instead of you guys having to convert them?

I believe that Ed said something about this...  :question:

Great! one question though. Does this mean that what Ed posted on the review contest thread does not apply anymore? I mean, we can now then start posting our articles ourselves directly instead of you guys having to convert them?

No. Jeff and I will edit and reformat any blogs/articles turned in previously for the Evaluation Corner and Brickvwsting Blog. If you want to give a try with this new blog system, feel free. Just let me know a particular blog was written for the contest and I will check it out and approve it.

I believe that Ed said something about this...  :question:

He did, but at the time he said that the blog option was not at the point we could use it. I just want to double check if that has changed.

You can post them in here if you want.  But doing tables are a nightmare.  I basically do them in an HTML editor and select the HTML mode in here in order to do it.  You can not add tables through the editor.  The new version 4.0 that is coming will allow it.  So can it be done yes, is it a pain in the butt, yes.  If you do content with text and images, you can do that with ease here.  I will help anyone that needs it to do their articles.  One day it will be easier.  There is no ETA on the next version, so I didn't want to prolong this until then.

No. Jeff and I will edit and reformat any blogs turned in previously for the Evaluation Corner and Brickvwsting Blog. If you want to give a try with this new blog system, feel free. Just let me know a particular blog was written for the contest and I will check it out and approve it.

Yes Ed is correct.  We will take care of the ones that have already been submitted, but any new content should be done in this system and we will work it out if extra work/formatting needs to be done.

Got it. All of my articles so far, and the ones I have planned, contain charts so I guess I will keep submitting them to Ed then. If I do think about one that does not need anything other than text and images, I will for sure try to do it in the personal blog.

You can post an image of a chart if so desired.

There are three basic types of Blog articles:

1. Evaluation Corner(LEGO set(s) analysis, breakdown and comparison)

2. Brickvesting Blog(anything LEGO related and interesting)

3. Personal Blog(Your own personal LEGO investing and collecting ideas, thoughts, photos, experiences,etc...)

The EC and BB articles are worth 500 Brickpoints for approved blogs and will be posted in their appropriate sections of the site.  As most already know, these are larger and more in depth blog articles.  

The Personal Blog will be worth 250 points when you begin one and 10 points for each additional approved blog post thereafter.  You will also get 3 points for comments left from other members.  Any exceptional Personal Blogs approved for this section of the site will  get 250 points in addition to the 10 giving for the continuation of the blog.  This should be an ongoing type of thing.  A paragraph or two, here or there on LEGO related issues of the day.  Jeff and I will review every one.  

You need to tell us where you want them to be placed and we will review them, edit them if needed and approve/decline them.  We will put them in the proper location on the site.  If you have any questions...ask away.  

I just published Fcbarcelona's first Personal Blog article on a phenomena called "The December Effect."  This is a perfect example of a quality "Personal Blog" which will receive 250 Brickpoints.  Fcbarcelona also received 250 Brickpoints for starting a personal blog and will receive 3 Brickpoints for each comment on his blog.  Yesterday, Quacs released his blog about the Top Myths of LEGO Investing.  Quacs used the blog editor to submit the article and because of the length and in depth nature of the article, we moved it to the Brickvesting Blog.  He received 500 Brickpoints for the effort.  

These are two examples of members using the new Blog editor and feature to produce quality site content.  Give it a shot... :hunter:

I am currently converting one of the EC articles using the new blog feature and have run into a couple of issues. This is my longest article and I am doing the charts for each set using excel and then uploading them to photobucket so I can link them from there to here. This was working really well until I got to a little half of the article, because now when I click the "preview post" button some of the latest images are just showing the links and not the actual images.

Also, for some reason when I select the Quote option it is also not showing on the preview, but as with the images it does appear while I am editing the article. And lastly, is there a way to "save" progress like in the review section? I am at the moment just hitting submit and keeping it as a draft that way until I finish.

Are you allowed to make small blog entries the size of a forum topic or so, which do not count for the contest but are more about what you are doing with Lego at the time?

Yes, I think that's the Personal Blog feature that Jeff mentioned earlier.  Once you're done creating a personal blog entry, you just PM Ed or Jeff to let them know it's ready to post.  They will review to make sure it's appropriate and then make it live.

Are you allowed to make small blog entries the size of a forum topic or so, which do not count for the contest but are more about what you are doing with Lego at the time?

The goal of the community blogs is yes, to talk about lego topics that are more personal to you.  Do we want a forum post that says "Just bought a new set" and that's it.  That will be deleted :) Its your chance to have a voice on an actively growing community. 

Look at the one by Legotrader on there, they just posted their first topic on the free shipping and gave an opinion on the matter and why it means something to them.   The idea is to build great lego content from the community.  Good lego topics, personal, business.  If you have a thing for custom minifigs, make them, design them.  Talk about your process, show images.   If you want to talk about your business of collecting/investing/buying/selling, then great.  We know people would love to hear your stories.

There are a lot on this site that know the world of LEGO. Each has their own set of experiences and that's what I know I would love to see the blog community turn into.  I know I would like people to know that Brickpicker is the place to go to for pricing, business, buying, selling, trading, etc.  We cover it all :)

I am currently converting one of the EC articles using the new blog feature and have run into a couple of issues. This is my longest article and I am doing the charts for each set using excel and then uploading them to photobucket so I can link them from there to here. This was working really well until I got to a little half of the article, because now when I click the "preview post" button some of the latest images are just showing the links and not the actual images.

Also, for some reason when I select the Quote option it is also not showing on the preview, but as with the images it does appear while I am editing the article. And lastly, is there a way to "save" progress like in the review section? I am at the moment just hitting submit and keeping it as a draft that way until I finish.

This is a question for Jeff...LOL

The goal of the community blogs is yes, to talk about lego topics that are more personal to you.  Do we want a forum post that says "Just bought a new set" and that's it.  That will be deleted :) Its your chance to have a voice on an actively growing community. 

Look at the one by Legotrader on there, they just posted their first topic on the free shipping and gave an opinion on the matter and why it means something to them.   The idea is to build great lego content from the community.  Good lego topics, personal, business.  If you have a thing for custom minifigs, make them, design them.  Talk about your process, show images.   If you want to talk about your business of collecting/investing/buying/selling, then great.  We know people would love to hear your stories.

There are a lot on this site that know the world of LEGO. Each has their own set of experiences and that's what I know I would love to see the blog community turn into.  I know I would like people to know that Brickpicker is the place to go to for pricing, business, buying, selling, trading, etc.  We cover it all :)

Does each little 'status' if you will, need to be approved before it can be posted?  I'm not talking about contest material.