E3 2013

Diabolos80

Guest ph4tb0i

it's BP! :P Buying this is pretty much trying to get an SSD and flip for Cafe Corner Money in 2 weeks, where you can return the product with a 100% refund and no money down. What's not to like about this? :D

Besides, flipping consoles is a once every 6-8 year event, so it's definitely fun to make a quick buck if/when you can. :)

Before all of you go out and stock up on these make sure you are looking at every angle.

When the PS3 came out, I waited in line with a huge group of people that I paid 50.00 each to stand with me and buy one. I ended up profiting about 250.00 a console after fees and shipping..It was the greatest flip of all time in my eyes. I also did the 360 but it wasn't nearly that much(not even half).

One thing you guys should know is they didn't do online pre-orders for PS3s. Not like this anyways. Also when the PS3 came out I worked at Best Buy and my store only received 20 consoles, and that was pretty high, some received 10. My cousin is currently a store manager at a Best Buy and he has stated that his Best Buy will get roughly 100 PS4's so that when they do the midnight release it isn't chaotic. Also the people who pre-ordered in store will have the opportunity to pick up at the midnight release as well.

I think Sony learned from their mistake with the PS3 and the amount of people who wanted them but couldn't get their hands on them in 2006. I suspect they will come prepared this time.

So, with that said you may find people still confused and willing to pay a premium on ebay for this...but I wouldn't count on the amount of profits you made/or missed out on as the PS3 and X-Box. Look at how many online retailers are pre-ordering this. Amazon is the key here, they ship their pre-orders out so that you receive it same day as its released.

Guest ph4tb0i

Before all of you go out and stock up on these make sure you are looking at every angle.

When the PS3 came out, I waited in line with a huge group of people that I paid 50.00 each to stand with me and buy one. I ended up profiting about 250.00 a console after fees and shipping..It was the greatest flip of all time in my eyes. I also did the 360 but it wasn't nearly that much(not even half).

One thing you guys should know is they didn't do online pre-orders for PS3s. Not like this anyways. Also when the PS3 came out I worked at Best Buy and my store only received 20 consoles, and that was pretty high, some received 10. My cousin is currently a store manager at a Best Buy and he has stated that his Best Buy will get roughly 100 PS4's so that when they do the midnight release it isn't chaotic. Also the people who pre-ordered in store will have the opportunity to pick up at the midnight release as well.

I think Sony learned from their mistake with the PS3 and the amount of people who wanted them but couldn't get their hands on them in 2006. I suspect they will come prepared this time.

So, with that said you may find people still confused and willing to pay a premium on ebay for this...but I wouldn't count on the amount of profits you made/or missed out on as the PS3 and X-Box. Look at how many online retailers are pre-ordering this. Amazon is the key here, they ship their pre-orders out so that you receive it same day as its released.

I think those are some very good points. However, it'll be interesting to see if any unexpected shortages (which, there always seems to be some way some how) will occur that will spike up demand. I have some preorders right now, but that's because there's absolutely no charge to my credit card until they ship the product; during which I can cancel all my orders if necessary. Since there's no risk in having a pre-order, I just figured I'd put a couple in and see how things shape up as we get closer and closer to christmas. 

You make good points. Although all of the predictions that I read about these consoles predicted that supply would not even come close to demand. But who knows. That could easily be bs hype.

Like I said b4, I'm essentially putting no money down, can cancel the pre orders at any time prior to shipping and then i have a 2 week window at the start of December to return them (with free shipping both ways). If it doesnt work out, I'm essentially out nothing (except my hopes and dreams!). I'm just keeping my fingers crossed!

Also, I ordered from Microsoft and their pre order was to receive the console "on release day". I don't know if amazon does ****** for this stuff but microsoft is 3.5% which I thought was pretty good.

Jeff, you make some really good points on the xbox one... For a rich guy :) Remember: requiring a broadband connection and requiring gamers to pay $60+ for every game seriously limits the console's demographic. Yes, a lot of gamers are tech-savvy hobbyists with disposable income. But a lot of them are not, too. Me, I like to rent games, so even though I've owned both current consoles since day one, this cycle I'll probably just stick to PS4.

Jeff and I go all the way back in the gaming world.  35 years almost.  Back to the Atari 2600 and 400/800 computers(Star Raiders, Caverns of Mars).  Magnavox Odyssey(Star League Baseball), Apple II(Castle Wolfenstein).  We were Battlefield fanatics.  I look forward to playing Battlefied 4 on the XBOX One.  I remember the original 360.  I bought Jeff's extra one for like $500 and we bought the original PS3 for $700+.  If there is a shortage, it could be a huge market, but I'm wondering if pre-ordering was the in thing 8 or 9 years ago?  In other words, I don't know if there was such a push or even the possibility to preorder on a mass scale for the last major console releases.

• Like 2

All of my extra money goes toward Lego :)

Lego investing is definitely more fun but really with this deal there is no money tied up (just credit for at most a few weeks). Combine that with the lure of a product that is made for a quick flip and I just couldnt resist! Basically there is no lego set that I will need to pass on bc of these pre orders.

Jeff and I go all the way back in the gaming world. 35 years almost. Back to the Atari 2600 and 400/800 computers(Star Raiders, Caverns of Mars). Magnavox Odyssey(Star League Baseball), Apple II(Castle Wolfenstein). We were Battlefield fanatics. I look forward to playing Battlefied 4 on the XBOX One. I remember the original 360. I bought Jeff's extra one for like $500 and we bought the original PS3 for $700+. If there is a shortage, it could be a huge market, but I'm wondering if pre-ordering was the in thing 8 or 9 years ago?

I have a friend who made a ton of money buying iphone 5s AT RETAIL and flipping them, even with pre orders. Not saying that will be the same case here. Just saying that I hope it will be!

Guys, you really might want to consider the PS4 preorder.. It's 399, Sony basically just slapped MS across the face with no new drm policies/constant online connection, and the thing is REGION FREE!

I heard or read some report that Microsoft can always lower its pre order price if Sonys price point is a problem. Don't know if this would actually happen, but it would be nice if it did!

With everything I said before....I can't wait for the PS4!!! Its good when pre-ordering from Amazon as they don't charge your card so essentially you really do have nothing to lose. Hopefully they do have a shortage and if that is the case some people can make a quick buck or two. Some people just don't know how to shop smart. I'm certain that everyone of us on this forum knows how to look for a good price though =)

I already pre-ordered both.  Let me ask, how many times do you unplug your xbox?  Does it really matter about the checks and the checks are actually to look for updates.  Did you see what they are doing with cloud computer and the games running while you are not playing.  I believe what they are doing is more innovative than negative.  My 360 has been plugged in for years and never moved.  I buy all my games and I am sure the used game thing will not be that big of a deal.  I just don't think they explained what they are doing with that.  Do you realize how much money publishers and developers lose on traded in games?  Gamestop is the one that made a fortune off traded in games, not the developer or publisher.

So in the end, I don't really care about the 24 hour check, I don't care if it checks every 10 minutes if it makes my gaming better and keeps the system up to date so I can just get on it and play.  The used games thing "may" be an issue, but I will give them time to see how they address it to the masses.  I will still have my XBOX360, so whether the old games work or not, it doesn't bother me either.  Chances of me going back to play any of them with all the new games that look amazing are very slim anyhow.

Thats why I buy both. I can enjoy the experience all the way around.  Get all the good games and not worry about what system it comes out on.  And never be a fanboy. Regardless of what happens, I think the gamers are the ones that will win all the way around.  Both these systems look outstanding.

I'll politely disagree here on the "always online" thing not being a big deal. Just ask any soldier deployed overseas if they would be ok with that...if they are in the Middle East or the Horn of Africa the answer will probably be no. If my 360 had to be online every 24 hours where I was in Iraq, I would have been royally screwed. Add to that people who live in rural areas or undeveloped countries, and you are effectively shrinking your demographic. If MS doesn't do something about this, the PS4 will win the fight in all of these regions, hands down. Granted, MS may not care because its a smaller user base, but its still never a good idea to limit your audience. I know they want to combat piracy and keep systems updated or whatever, but this is not a good trade-off.   

• Like 2

I'll politely disagree here on the "always online" thing not being a big deal. Just ask any soldier deployed overseas if they would be ok with that...if they are in the Middle East or the Horn of Africa the answer will probably be no. If my 360 had to be online every 24 hours where I was in Iraq, I would have been royally screwed. Add to that people who live in rural areas or undeveloped countries, and you are effectively shrinking your demographic. If MS doesn't do something about this, the PS4 will win the fight in all of these regions, hands down. Granted, MS may not care because its a smaller user base, but its still never a good idea to limit your audience. I know they want to combat piracy and keep systems updated or whatever, but this is not a good trade-off.   

To add to the "always online" argument, what do you do if your service just cuts out for no reason at all? I've had days where my service was down because they were updating servers, a power outage along the lines, or simply cause it didn't feel like working that day. Also gets tiring trying to get your PC to work at maximum efficiency or even play just one thing when it keeps doing background crap all the time.

Course that is more of a pet peeve for me, nothing compared to your situation, JoshTX.

And God Bless you sir for fighting for our country. :pogranichnik:

I think they will rethink this in the future and change how it works.  While under a perfect scenario it would be great, nothing is ever perfect.  Now that they know how the PS4 will do things, I am sure there is probably some think tank going on somewhere to counter this.  Hopefully they change it before release.