E3 2013

Diabolos80

E3 2013 is officially churning out all the news gamers have been waiting to hear. PS4 vs Xbox One! Looks like a good fight. And the games... I want Watch Dogs right now. But I'll probably play it on a PS4. If you haven't been paying attention to Microsoft lately, listen to this:

Xbox One will not universally support pre-owned game discs. This includes retail, rentals, and even your friend's copy.

It will require an internet verification once every 24 hours. So, you can't play it without broadband. No, not even single player.

The games may require installation to the hard drive or a cloud, at the publisher's discretion.

Xbox One is not backwards compatible with 360 software. No, not even Xbox Live Arcade games.

Kinect is still there. In fact, it's MORE there.

I didn't start this thread to groan about changes or to start a turf war. But that's the most interesting story so far. In other news: GTA V, Assassin's Creed IV, Arkham Asylum: Origins, Metal Gear Ground Zeroes, The Last of Us. I can't wait. Next!

Man, most of what you said about Xbox One (are they really going to call it that?) is why I'm glad I got out of console gaming right after the PS2 and stuck with PC and indie games. Oh, and Lego of course. You don't need to create an account to register your Lego set just to be able to build it and limited to do so only once unless you feel compelled to hassle with customer service to reactivate the licence of your $60 product for the umpteenth time every single time.

Ah whatever, I am curious still about this 'next' generation of consoles.

Guest ph4tb0i

alright, so as savvy investors who's picking up a couple to resell during the christmas time? :D

I know I want to get at least one xbox day one edition and maybe 2-3 PS4s and flip for a profit.. 

I already pre-ordered both.  Let me ask, how many times do you unplug your xbox?  Does it really matter about the checks and the checks are actually to look for updates.  Did you see what they are doing with cloud computer and the games running while you are not playing.  I believe what they are doing is more innovative than negative.  My 360 has been plugged in for years and never moved.  I buy all my games and I am sure the used game thing will not be that big of a deal.  I just don't think they explained what they are doing with that.  Do you realize how much money publishers and developers lose on traded in games?  Gamestop is the one that made a fortune off traded in games, not the developer or publisher.

So in the end, I don't really care about the 24 hour check, I don't care if it checks every 10 minutes if it makes my gaming better and keeps the system up to date so I can just get on it and play.  The used games thing "may" be an issue, but I will give them time to see how they address it to the masses.  I will still have my XBOX360, so whether the old games work or not, it doesn't bother me either.  Chances of me going back to play any of them with all the new games that look amazing are very slim anyhow.

Thats why I buy both. I can enjoy the experience all the way around.  Get all the good games and not worry about what system it comes out on.  And never be a fanboy. Regardless of what happens, I think the gamers are the ones that will win all the way around.  Both these systems look outstanding.

Guest ph4tb0i

Alright. Just pre-ordered 4 PS4s and 1 Xbox One. Worst case scenario they go back to Best Buy before the 14 day return period. Best scenario I'm getting profit to fund towards Lego! :D

My biggest question about the new XBOX One, is will they still release games compatible for 360?  I won't be buying a new gaming system for a long time, just don't play on it enough, but would hate to miss out on any new games I wanted because I didn't have a new $500 system. 

They said there are hundreds of games in development for the 360, so you will be fine.  This system will actually be more of a money makes for M$ because the costs are so much lower. This is also when parents buy more of the 360 because its so much more cost effective. There is plenty of life left in the 360.  World of Tanks looks fun :)

alright, so as savvy investors who's picking up a couple to resell during the christmas time? :D

I know I want to get at least one xbox day one edition and maybe 2-3 PS4s and flip for a profit..

I pre-ordered 8 xbox ones. Can always cancel/return if the market is not there. Hopefully I can flip them for a nice Christmas profit, but all I seem to be hearing is people complaining about the price. So I'm not that confident right now.

I pre-ordered 8 xbox ones. Can always cancel/return if the market is not there. Hopefully I can flip them for a nice Christmas profit, but all I seem to be hearing is people complaining about the price. So I'm not that confident right now.

The people complaining about the prices are the kids.  You already know there will be a legion of people that will want the upgrade.  I am happy XBOX is going with one SKU this time around and while I could care less for the Kinect, at least it will be universal, so developers will be able to have a solid base in which to build games on and not worry about the low end model. 

Once the hype machine gets going and more games start to show, people will go into frenzy mode as the holiday season nears

I got burned trying to flip when the Wii came out.  I later found out there were a bunch of west coast people in the industry who submitted fake bids and then never paid to try to discourage flippers.  By the time it was all sorted out the prices had dropped.  You probably won't have my bad luck but be careful.

Guest ph4tb0i

Guys, you really might want to consider the PS4 preorder.. It's 399, Sony basically just slapped MS across the face with no new drm policies/constant online connection, and the thing is REGION FREE!

I got burned trying to flip when the Wii came out.  I later found out there were a bunch of west coast people in the industry who submitted fake bids and then never paid to try to discourage flippers.  By the time it was all sorted out the prices had dropped.  You probably won't have my bad luck but be careful.

That's ridiculous if true.  That is why I really like Buy-it-Now with instant payment required on checkout.  I just looked and saw some PS4 pre-order auctions have closed for $200 and less.  I am sure those folks won't get their deal or worse they will be screwed out of their money.

Anyway, I think the re-sell on the Wii U was burned by the fact that supply was greater than demand.  The Wii U was available pretty much everywhere after launch.

I am thinking about getting 3-4 PS4.  

Jeff, you make some really good points on the xbox one... For a rich guy :) Remember: requiring a broadband connection and requiring gamers to pay $60+ for every game seriously limits the console's demographic. Yes, a lot of gamers are tech-savvy hobbyists with disposable income. But a lot of them are not, too. Me, I like to rent games, so even though I've owned both current consoles since day one, this cycle I'll probably just stick to PS4.

They said there are hundreds of games in development for the 360, so you will be fine.  This system will actually be more of a money makes for M$ because the costs are so much lower. This is also when parents buy more of the 360 because its so much more cost effective. There is plenty of life left in the 360.  World of Tanks looks fun :)

Ok, as long as they continue to make 360 compatible for a while, I will be happy.  Just got this a couple years ago and don't want to upgrade yet.  Will the new Kinect be compatible with a 360 system?  I'm not a huge fan of the one we have, it doesn't pick up my son at all, even when we calibrate it for him.  Star Wars for Kinect was a frigging joke.  The Sports games are about he only ones that work well at all.

confident enough to spend 4 Gs looks like ;)

Actually I haven't spent a penny.  My card is not getting charged until the order ships.  Its supposed to ship late November.  I think by then I can gauge the market.  If a reasonable market is not to be had, I can cancel the pre-orders right up until delivery.  If the market is there, the flipping will occur before Christmas.  Shouldn't even be one billing cycle.  Am I missing something ... actually seems too easy.  I've never done this before.  Only thought of it because a friend of mine made a killing flipping the iphone 5.