Bought a 100% Helm's Deep that is not 100%

CNH1974

If you do it online they don't ask for any numbers on the back of the instruction manual. They didn't ask me anyway.

The times I have done it online I have not been asked the number immediately, but rather a couple of days later. This has been only with one SW and one Harry Potter set, so I am not sure if the LOTR works the same way.

Guest ph4tb0i

Hi, Never knew about this. So do you just select "my new set has a missing piece" even though it isn't new at all and is just second hand from ebay???

You're not supposed to do this. They only support things bought from Lego or an authorized Lego retailer, though they do make exceptions if you send them a nice email.

Realistically though these parts are pennies to them and I honestly don't think they have a lot of empathy for collectors once the parts run out, but it's definitely a very generous program by Lego that shouldn't be abused... Just think about the 10 year old boy/girl you may be upsetting because you took that last part they needed. :P

I have requested pieces twice once for a SW set and once for a modular, they didn't ask me for info either time

The times they have requested the info from me thay have always said that it has to do with the licensing agreement, so I think modulars would not need the number. I just remembered something else as well, one of the things I requested was the head of the Leia minifig and for the HP it was the body of a minifig too, so I think that they only require the extra info when you request a part that is very specific to a licensed theme and not regular bricks (even if they are from SW, etc)

I did it twice in the past year and was asked for proof each time.  My son lost a few elements.  The sets were 1) the latest batcave (Batman's cowl) and 2) Vader's Transformation (vader's helmet and head).  I contacted them about the Batcave on the telephone (the rep asked for the manual's back page code) and for the Star Wars set, I did it online.  I was contacted about the Star Wars set via email 2 days later and asked for either of the following : photos of the UPC code on the box or manual's back page).

I was told by the rep who handled the Star Wars case (via e-mail) that themed sets require proof due to the license.

• Like 1

It makes sense they require some sort of proof for the licensed sets, particularly with the minifigures.  Some of the components of those alone can sell for a fair amount and less scrupulous people call to get more for that reason.  I like that Lego is thorough in those matters and try to help people with genuine problems of that sort and keep people honest.

Guest ph4tb0i

btw, you'd normally think that it'd be the HP, Star Wars, LOTR, etc sets that are licensed that need proof of purchase, but for some odd reason 7939 is a licensed set as well (my octan car in one of my sets i got a while back was missing the oil tanker wheel opener thingy). Sent it in but just an interesting tidbit that some city sets might be licensed. :s that or the CSR just wanted proof of purchase.. lol.

This program shouldn't be used by people who buy second hand sets from Ebay that have obviously been opened.  Obviously the problem is with the person who listed it as complete and it wasn't...to make lego responsible is dishonest. I bet you got it cheap and are now expecting LEGO to provide you with free pieces on a previously opened set? 

This is an abuse of the system and will lead to higher costs for us honest people.  If you think this takes "pennies" to respond to these requests then you have no idea how a business works.  

People trying to get stuff for free they don't deserve disgusts me.

• Like 3

I did it twice in the past year and was asked for proof each time.  My son lost a few elements.  The sets were 1) the latest batcave (Batman's cowl) and 2) Vader's Transformation (vader's helmet and head).  I contacted them about the Batcave on the telephone (the rep asked for the manual's back page code) and for the Star Wars set, I did it online.  I was contacted about the Star Wars set via email 2 days later and asked for either of the following : photos of the UPC code on the box or manual's back page).

I was told by the rep who handled the Star Wars case (via e-mail) that themed sets require proof due to the license.

Interestingly I was not asked for proof. And Helm's Deep is a licensed product. And one of the parts was a minifigs' legs. The parts came within 2 weeks. Superb customer service.