Bought a 100% Helm's Deep that is not 100%

CNH1974

I bought a Helm's Deep used that was listed as complete. The listing said it had been built once. I have received, its in good condition, even the box is not very squashed. However it is not 100% complete. I have built it and it is missing approx 10 pieces. Mainly small ones but the most signifcant is the Legolas minifig's legs. Other pieces are 1x2 bricks, 1x2 cheese wedges, 4x 1x1 brick with single side stud replaced with a 1x1 light brick. Now as I do not want to return it, because I have spent time building and its a right pain to wrap it up and re-post, what should I ask for when I query it with the seller? I am hoping they will have the parts..

Just go to shop at home and request the free replacements......takes about 4 minutes, unless you are wrapped up in the whole principle of the matter, which no one would fault you if you were.

How does that work? Will TLG supply missing parts for free for a set purchased on the secondary market?

How does that work? Will TLG supply missing parts for free for a set purchased on the secondary market?

yep...it really does take less than five minutes to request missing pieces....type in the set number and they give you a list with pictures of all the pieces in that set and you check the box of the pieces you need and enter your shipping info and you are done.

yup, just did that this morning with two sets I just built. the thing is the sets went EOL some time ago, one being a spongebob set and the other a toy story set. i already got confirmation that LEGO warehouse in Denmark is mailing my replacement parts today. i was only missing three small pieces on each set but kudos to LEGO for replacing them for free. i was shocked they only asked for my address and not my credit card info ...

So I guess what they probably do then is track your address and make sure you aren't abusing the system by constantly asking for parts. Either way, its pretty sweet that they provide parts at all without proof that you purchased at retail. Most manufacturers will not support products when they are purchased on the secondhand market...look at the video game industry for example. They are now trying to charge an extra 10 bucks just to play a game online if it is purchased used.

yep...it really does take less than five minutes to request missing pieces....type in the set number and they give you a list with pictures of all the pieces in that set and you check the box of the pieces you need and enter your shipping info and you are done.

I did think of that, but surely they would want some proof of purchase?? Otherwise how would they stop anyone from requesting spare parts??

I may try both routes.

Oddly enough I also have the same situation in reverse - I sold an old 6930 as 100% complete and missed 6 pieces from it. Cos I did not read the instructions properly - Doh!! I am posting the rest to him today. :)

I did think of that, but surely they would want some proof of purchase?? Otherwise how would they stop anyone from requesting spare parts??

I may try both routes.

Oddly enough I also have the same situation in reverse - I sold an old 6930 as 100% complete and missed 6 pieces from it. Cos I did not read the instructions properly - Doh!! I am posting the rest to him today. :)

I'm telling you all you need to know is your address and the parts you need. Here ya go https://service.lego.com/en-us/replacementparts/#BasicInfo

I have also bought sets from the secondary market that have had missing parts that LEGO was happy to send my way. I did mine over the phone. All they need from you is the number from the inside of the instruction manual. I bought a Space Police Space Limo set from Marshall's for $20.00, but at the time I didn't realize an entire bag was gone. LEGO happily shipped me the contents of that bag. Similarly, I bought a Prince of Persia Race Against Time (or whatever it was called) and found the set was missing some minifigs. They also sent the missing parts plus some extra, all at no charge. Keep in mind as others have stated, that it's something you want to do before a set goes EOL. Liscensed sets especially, because LEGO only makes those for the run of that liscensed theme and that's it.

I didn't know about this! I'm missing a few pieces from some old Harry Potter sets that I bought. I'll need to check out their missing parts list to see if I can at least get a few of the pieces that I'm missing.

Sometimes the piece is no longer in production, in this case they are unable to send you one. There will be a marking on the piece that says it is no longer available.

Sometimes the piece is no longer in production, in this case they are unable to send you one. There will be a marking on the piece that says it is no longer available.

Yea I just noticed that. I'm missing 25 pieces in one set because the front end of the car in set 4728 is missing. I found 9 of the missing pieces on the site. Better than nothing I guess!

I'm telling you all you need to know is your address and the parts you need. Here ya go https://service.lego.com/en-us/replacementparts/#BasicInfo

Hokey Cokey, I have clicked the link and it was very simple to do. I'll let you how long it takes to arrive.

I must say, on the surface of it they are a very trusting complany, I didn't even have to provide receipt details, or even my VIP number. :)

Hokey Cokey, I have clicked the link and it was very simple to do. I'll let you how long it takes to arrive.

I must say, on the surface of it they are a very trusting complany, I didn't even have to provide receipt details, or even my VIP number. :)

I'm pretty sure that the intention of this is to replace parts that are missing from new sets purchased, not to provide an endless supply of lost parts which is the case with the OP's situation. It is pretty shady to do this to Lego with any frequency and probably contributes to their high prices.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

LEGO -will- replace minifigs from liscensed sets, but only as the supply lasts. I received 3 missing figs from the PoP set I mentioned earlier, back when PoP had been in the secondhand market for awhile.

Yeah, as long as it is still in stock.  I had Lego send me the correct Qui-Gon heads from the Republic Cruiser awhile back.  They were shipping them out with Obi-Wan heads and unless you requested the correct one, you had an incorrect minifig.  It was the correct head on the box.

Lego will confirm you own the set by asking for a # listed on back of the instruction manual.  Just tell them your kid lost elements.

Personally, I used Bricklink for buying missing elements.  when buying 100% complete sets that weren't.  I used the partial refund from the ebay seller to offset the cost of buying from bricklink.  i don't like using Lego customer service for a secondary market used purchase. 

bricklink has a cool feature that lets you select the missing elements and quality from any given set.  then add those elements to a "wanted list": you can then use your list to see how many sellers have those pieces (all, most, some, etc...)

• Like 2