Minifigures Arm & Torso Crack Lines

Furbs

Hi All, I was reading the Kickstarter project for the man who wants to produce Solid Silver Minifigures, and in the description of the process he explained that "The original minifigure relies on the elastic deformation of the ABS plastic for assembly. As older figures age, they will develop cracks along the bottom of the arms and the sides of the torsos from repeated expansion" Does this mean that all our minifigures, even pristine ones still sealed in packets are going to eventually expand and crack? Makes me think twice about buying older minifigs for my collection.

Does this mean that all our minifigures, even pristine ones still sealed in packets are going to eventually expand and crack?

First thing first, any kind of plastic does not age well down the road. Some are better at dealing with the sands of time but many become brittle or discolored past a certain point. I don't know about the ABS plastic that Lego uses seeing how all my old parts are still fine and workable and that includes minifigures.

And second, a lot of it depends on play, usage, placement of display (like under constant sunlight), and temperature. Boxes may not be airtight and some of the sealed bags inside a few sets have holes like swiss cheese, but I wouldn't worry much about parts inside sealed sets going belly up provided they are kept in a constantly dry and cool climate storage area.

If there was anything I would worry about it is sets that come with those tiny batteries used in light bricks.

Batteries go bad after a number of years and can 'leak'.

If there was anything I would worry about it is sets that come with those tiny batteries used in light bricks.

Batteries go bad after a number of years and can 'leak'.

Good thought. Something to perhaps be wary of for those stockpiling Orc Forges.

My oldest minifigure is 32 years old and he looks fine.

I buy and sell a lot of older SW minifigs. Unfortunately, cracked arms and torsos are a common problem. Greedo is notorious for having cracks. Sometimes I end up cannibalizing 2-3 figs to get one perfect one. Now, I have no idea what kind of conditions those minifigs were stored in before they came to me, but often they are in new condition, aside from the cracks.

I buy and sell a lot of older SW minifigs. Unfortunately, cracked arms and torsos are a common problem. Greedo is notorious for having cracks. Sometimes I end up cannibalizing 2-3 figs to get one perfect one.

Now, I have no idea what kind of conditions those minifigs were stored in before they came to me, but often they are in new condition, aside from the cracks.

I find that really odd. The only minifigs I have with "wrist" cracks are from the late 70s/early 80s and they were well played with. Never had any arm/torso cracks, but I never pulled the arms out of my minfigs so there you go...

• 1 month later...