lol ebay whoops!

ya not a good ebay day for me. I had 2 listed at 149 BIN and then decided to list the third starting at .99 auction but you guessed it, I listed it at .99 BIN. I have refunded the money and sent an apologetic email. Not much I can do. Lesson learned. Haven't heard back from the buyer. It would be my first "oops" in a few years of doing this. Small world, I started laughing when I read the post and then said ummmmm that is me! Embarrassing yup but I only know of one perfect person and he lived long ago.

I am not worried about it. My feedback is or was :) 100%. I can't take it back but I can't send a $150 for .99, just can't do it. If she is upset I will probably send her $10 through Paypal as a peace offering. If it happened to me I would let the person out of it but that is me. There is a verse that says you will reap what you sow. Well I am banking on the fact I have shown "mercy" to others. We will see.

I am not worried about it. My feedback is or was :) 100%. I can't take it back but I can't send a $150 for .99, just can't do it. If she is upset I will probably send her $10 through Paypal as a peace offering. If it happened to me I would let the person out of it but that is me. There is a verse that says you will reap what you sow. Well I am banking on the fact I have shown "mercy" to others. We will see.

I think eBay is pretty understanding in cases like this. If she wants to give you bad feedback I would just escalate and explain the situation. Give them a chance to address it before you do anything like send the buyer money. I think if it's clear that there was an error in the auction, which is sounds pretty clear, then they'll take care of it.

You've got to be cold as ice to try and force someone to send a set under these conditions. If you can survive a single negative feedback then do so. Be sure to block the bidder from your future auctions too.

It has happened to me several times where sellers make a mistake. I try to be understanding to a degree, but if I passed on another deal to pursue the one in error, I am not that understanding. I am a buyer, not a seller and I have the power on eBay. Sellers need to be more careful listing sets and if it cost me money, I want reimbursement.

If the buyer is going to be a hardass about an obvious mistake, then I would like to know the eBay buyer's ID is so I can block them from all my listings. Nobody's perfect and we are all going to make a mistake someday.

Don't take me the wrong way...if a auction/sale is in error and the seller made a mistake, then I will do everything in my power to accept it and move on. But there have been numerous occasions where I was looking to buy/bid on a particular set and passed on other similar deals, only to have the seller I chose back out of the deal. By the time all was said and done, the other auctions ended as well and I was left with nothing but higher priced choices. In those cases, I expect some sort of restitution...even an apology would do at times, but many sellers do not offer one.

I think the ideal resolution would be for buyer and seller to find a middle ground. Perhaps offer a discount or free shipping as compensation? I agree with you Ed that I wouldn't negotiate if it smelled like a bait and switch or if it seemed like the seller realized after the auction closed that he/she could get far more for the set. That didn't happen here, but when and if it does show no mercy :)

Don't take me the wrong way...if a auction/sale is in error and the seller made a mistake, then I will do everything in my power to accept it and move on. But there have been numerous occasions where I was looking to buy/bid on a particular set and passed on other similar deals, only to have the seller I chose back out of the deal. By the time all was said and done, the other auctions ended as well and I was left with nothing but higher priced choices. In those cases, I expect some sort of restitution...even an apology would do at times, but many sellers do not offer one.

Yes, the minimum that a seller should do when they get caught in this situation is a sincere apology and maybe even (as eracine indicated) some token of appreciation (depending on the size of the error and graciousness of the buyer).

Just as there are buyers to avoid, there are also sellers.

As a seller I made many mistakes (not .99 BIN mistake but still) and I still honored the price. Why ? Because both buyers and sellers are supposed to honor the final price shown on the eBay listing. Just as I expect my buyers to pay the final advertised value, as a seller I am also expected to sell for that price. If I catch the wrong price first, it is still within my right to change it or cancel the listing outright