lol ebay whoops!

As a seller I made many mistakes (not .99 BIN mistake but still) and I still honored the price.

Well, that's the rub here. Would you honor a 99+% off price mistake?

If it was a "reasonable" price mistake, say 50% off ($99 instead of $199), then I think the seller should honor the price and complete the sale. That 99 cents sale is obviously not "reasonable".

Lots of online retailers will honor price mistakes because they are big national companies where there's not an iota of difference on their bottom lines. Lots of online retailers will also cancel orders and not ship items where the price mistake is not reasonable. ($.01 for a $100 item) and there are disclaimers about this buried in their online policies.

Well, that's the rub here. Would you honor a 99+% off price mistake?

If it was a "reasonable" price mistake, say 50% off ($99 instead of $199), then I think the seller should honor the price and complete the sale. That 99 cents sale is obviously not "reasonable".

Lots of online retailers will honor price mistakes because they are big national companies where there's not an iota of difference on their bottom lines. Lots of online retailers will also cancel orders and not ship items where the price mistake is not reasonable. ($.01 for a $100 item) and there are disclaimers about this buried in their online policies.

Seriously, if I do not catch that big of an error in my 2nd or 3rd review of my listing, then it is on me. Expensive ? yes Unforgettable ? you betcha

Sorry but I call BS if are saying you would honor the sale in this situation.....and assuming its not BS then you would honor a sale of a 10179 if you accidentally listed it at 25.00 right?

If I was in eracine's shoes, I would honor the sale if someone bid on it before I could notice and fix it. But first, I would try my hardest not to get to that situation in the first place. And that is the point of my posts.

I double check my high price listings ($100 or more) to make sure I have everything in order before I click "Submit".

I have sold item for way less than market value due to my mistakes before. Because of this incident, I double check all my listings on eBay. It is MY responsibility to make sure my listings are correct in terms of prices, pictures, wordings, etc. You are free to call me whatever you want. This is just how I do my business on eBay.

Now onto you hypothetical situation. If I was selling something as expensive as 10179, I would ask my wife to triple check my listing after I triple check it and create screenshots of it. I am assuming you are aware of the "Preview" button on eBay. I would abuse that button before hitting "Submit". There are other things you can do to protect your listings too. If every precaution has been taken and the darn thing is still showing up as $25 BIN then it is a technical glitch and I have every evidence to support my position when I call eBay to complain. I would cancel the listing first before I call eBay though. And yes, canceling it counts as noticing and fixing the problem / mistake before anyone bid on it.

This is such a common sense thing to do, I am surprised someone as level headed as you need to bring it up.

Just pointing out that mistakes happen, I am very interested what the buyer has to say when he/she replies to eracine. If they can't get be understanding then it definitely adds substance to my theory that the human race pretty much sucks. ;)

If humans were not flawed, then there wouldn't be a need for religions, philosophy, ethics, or even laws. :-)

No reply from the buyer as of yet. I feel pretty bad for what I did. I have learned from this and will be more cautious in the future. I understand and agree with both sides of the argument. I have also sold items far below MSRP for various reasons. If the buyer is upset and wants to dispute I will send her a disclosed amount regardless of any negative feedback. Not much more I can do or say.

Or I could just as easily counter that on the buyer's end, when he got the email saying that his purchase would not be honored, he could conclude that the human race pretty much sucks. I have had to take some decent losses on ebay before, not quite $150, but I have lost my entire profit and purchase price on a $30 set that should have been going for $75. If I was on other customer side and trying to buy this, it would be extremely frustrating to miss out on other offers because I thought I had already bought one and then find out later, I really didn't. I have been on the receiving end of people not wanting to honor my purchase because of some error or another and they just respond and say, "sorry, it was out of stock" here is your refund; a few days later, they re-list it and they honor it when it goes for more money.

I could have easily gotten out by saying it was out of stock or already sold. I am not going to lie to cover up a mistake I made. Hopefully the buyer understands. Probably frustrated I am sure but we have all been there. Probably no right or wrong way to handle this depending on which side you on are on. I refunded the money with an apology and I have to leave it at that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...