9497 - Republic Striker-class Starfighter

mikeur86

If you are thinking about a quick flip you need to consider shipping and fees, so those $ 15 may become more like $3 or $4. I would agree that it is a good deal if you want to build the set, but as you said this to me is one of those sets that don't perform really well after retired. I would hold that money to put towards some future deal of a more popular set.

shopko had these on clearance for $20 at their B&M stores last month. i had my father use his extra 15% senior citizen discount and it brought them down to $17 and change after tax. i acquired 13 of them, and feel good about their prospects at that price. shopko online prices are always higher than their B&M prices for some reason. if you have an actual store near you, check there first before pulling the trigger on an online purchase. stack your coupon and you will really have a deal. also, if your coupon was one you received via email, you can print as many copies of it as you want and take advantage of it mulitiple times.

If you are thinking about a quick flip you need to consider shipping and fees, so those $ 15 may become more like $3 or $4.

I would agree that it is a good deal if you want to build the set, but as you said this to me is one of those sets that don't perform really well after retired. I would hold that money to put towards some future deal of a more popular set.

What's the deal with everybody quoting "shipping" as a cost to you? Does everybody offer free shipping and not build that cost into the item for sale? Barca, this isn't directed at you, but those in general that always claim shipping cuts into costs. I make sure that the buyer pays 100% of my shipping costs unless I offer free shipping, in that case, I add it into the sale price, so it still shows up for me. Am I missing something here?

shopko had these on clearance for $20 at their B&M stores last month. i had my father use his extra 15% senior citizen discount and it brought them down to $17 and change after tax. i acquired 13 of them, and feel good about their prospects at that price. shopko online prices are always higher than their B&M prices for some reason. if you have an actual store near you, check there first before pulling the trigger on an online purchase. stack your coupon and you will really have a deal. also, if your coupon was one you received via email, you can print as many copies of it as you want and take advantage of it mulitiple times.

You talk about that senior discount all the time, how often are you dragging pops over there? I think my Dad would kill me unless I started buying him lunch or something.

What's the deal with everybody quoting "shipping" as a cost to you? Does everybody offer free shipping and not build that cost into the item for sale? Barca, this isn't directed at you, but those in general that always claim shipping cuts into costs. I make sure that the buyer pays 100% of my shipping costs unless I offer free shipping, in that case, I add it into the sale price, so it still shows up for me. Am I missing something here?

No kidding. I've always passed shipping costs on to the buyer and don't think my sales have suffered b/c of that.

You're completely right, I apologize, I do the same thing myself as you said. I should have said only fees.

You talk about that senior discount all the time, how often are you dragging pops over there? I think my Dad would kill me unless I started buying him lunch or something.

lol...only once a month. they only offer the senior discount on the first wednesday of every month, so i try and take advantage of it whenever i can. 15% doesn't sound like much, but it really does add up quick and as we all know, every penny counts. my dad just retired a little over a year ago, so it gets him out of the house for a few hours, and yes, i do buy him breakfast afterward! he actually enjoys our lego runs more than i do. he likes to hum the theme song to mission impossible as we are walking towards the toy dept, and he loves using all sorts of excuses at the register when the twenty-something year old cashier gives the 67 year old man buying a cart full of lego a funny look...lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I took it to mean that if somebody is selling a Lego set for say $200, then the people who add "free shipping" are competing with the people who list theirs at $200 PLUS shipping -- so yah, shipping does cut into your profits because people add free shipping to the mix. I think it sort of evolved as a way on Ebay to put your item higher at the top of the list when you search "price low to high" which is how I think most people search for Lego. It's really just a bunch of marketing trickery -- haha.