10320 Eldorado Fortress

Dr Jedi

Overall I really like it. As a faithful reproduction its pretty good, but I do wish that the docks looked better, tiles would have made it look a lot cleaner. I do really like how they mimicked the stone ramp in the new version. 

$214.99 in the US. Pre-price hike probably would have been $199.99, but I was worried it would be $229.99 or higher, so I guess I won't complain.

The Creator Viking ship was going to be my "build at the beach" set this summer, but good chance this ends up replacing it if it launches while a descent promo is available. 

3 hours ago, eliminator said:

Looks fantastic! Love how it has some elements of 6277 Imperial Trading Post incorporated. Can't wait to pick one up.

But the most important question: will there be a Pirate-themed GWP!???

I heard about a castle based GWP is coming maybe later this year. One involving a wizard and maybe a few knights?

I will wait until that is released.

• Like 2

I was lucky enough as a child to have the original in their collection. I still have that raised baseplate safe in storage. Most of my Imperials survived childhood, I think. Haha.

I have seen a couple of remakes from the fans for this classic Pirates set done in their own style using newer techniques & parts. Sometimes builders can go a bit overboard with a more "inspired by" end result losing that original charm. I believe here the LEGO designers achieved a faithful recreation albeit a pricy one. Thank goodness the base is completely built from the ground up without any "junior" parts or "ugly rocks" either. I am curious how the rock island is built internally more so than anything else of the set.

The LEGO Company has made various nods on a small scale towards the themes which helped to build them. Re-imaginings of this magnitude would be magnificent to see more of. I would be fine with a yearly release for remakes under the "Icons" moniker of this caliber.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

I was not familiar with the original, it came way after my time, at first thought I would have preferred more fort and less ship. After looking at 6276 I think they did a really good job with this.

https://brickset.com/sets/6276-1/Eldorado-Fortress

I feel the addition of a remake of the ship from 6277 really makes this seem like a complete 'playset' to make this more attractive to a wider customer base then just '80/90's kids'.

Edited by eliminator
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, eliminator said:

I feel the addition of a remake of the ship from 6277 really makes this seem like a complete 'playset' to make this more attractive to a wider customer base then just '80/90's kids'.

I had no idea about that ship. Just looked at all the sets in this line and there are many other good ones they could add in the future like they are hopefully doing with the Castle theme next fall with the Markets set. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

Thank goodness the base is completely built from the ground up without any "junior" parts or "ugly rocks" either. I am curious how the rock island is built internally more so than anything else of the set.

I understand what you mean here, though part of me feels like the base being brick built is taking peices away from what could be a more detailed 'fortress'.  The crane is certainly an upgrade from 6276, now looking suitable for heavy cargo. And as @Aup27 mentioned, nice to see the Imperials are back!

Regardless, this will find its way into my que of sets to build, however not without a good gwp or 2xvip points.  Was really hoping to see some neat building techniques applied like some of the fan built versions out there. 

10 hours ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Speaking of the palm fronds, what other sets have had those in it recently? I only ever remember my original Pirates sets having it, so I figured it was DC'ed.

The original mold was retired in 2002 being replaced by the presently used variant.
The stud dimensions on the original frond (10x5x1.5) versus the current one (8x3x1).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2023 at 8:25 AM, sadowsk1 said:

This was always out of my league as a kid so I'm going to be happy to pick up the new version.  I love the vintage box art also.

Got goosebumps after placing the order this morning. Something more powerful about a remake to me than a "theme revived" like Lion's Castle. It comes down to exactly what you said, "out of my league as a kid". Plus we get the "new version". I've spent way too much buying vintage only to be disappointed with the 1980s quality (but never disappointed with the 80s box art!).

• Like 2