What's the deal with Playmobil?

Celes

For some reason in stores and online in my country they usually put Playmobil and Lego together, I remember when I was a kid watching those toys and asking myself: What is this? What are they doing next to Lego if you can't build them? I guess they're just common toys =/.

A couple of years ago, my Target had Playmobil toys in the next aisle over from Lego which was a odd blast from the past for me since I had not seen them in stores since I was little. They aren't there anymore though. Wierd. First, nothing. Then whoop, there they are for a few years. And finally, gone again and probably for good. They were kinda fun back in the day and they still look like a quality product to this day. Certainly have a ton of themes to search through on the Playmobil website. I think it's funny how after Lego came out with their collectible minifigures, other companies like Playmobil came out with their own version of the random mystery bag collectible figure thingy.

A couple of years ago, my Target had Playmobil toys in the next aisle over from Lego which was a odd blast from the past for me since I had not seen them in stores since I was little. They aren't there anymore though. Wierd. First, nothing. Then whoop, there they are for a few years. And finally, gone again and probably for good. They were kinda fun back in the day and they still look like a quality product to this day. Certainly have a ton of themes to search through on the Playmobil website.

I think it's funny how after Lego came out with their collectible minifigures, other companies like Playmobil came out with their own version of the random mystery bag collectible figure thingy.

Does Kre-O have mystery bags as well?

But you can't build nothing with them!!!!!!! Where are the blocks???? Hehe, that was my thought process back then, but yeah they look like quality products.

It's a completely different product than LEGO. They're targeted more for pre-school kids, and you do have to build the sets.

It's a completely different product than LEGO. They're targeted more for pre-school kids, and you do have to build the sets.

Yeah, today I know its a different product, but couldn't find anything to compare. But now that you say that they are more targeted for pre-school kids, they make more sense.

I always liked Lego more growing up and found Playmobil to be a cheap knock off. They aren`t bad, but I`m just not a fan. Needless to say, I`ll admit that some of the themes are cool, but I don`t know what it is about seeing boxes of these in the toys isles that makes me cringe. I`d sooner settle for Mega Bloks, which is quite scary indeed IMO. Easier for me to just stick with Lego and go with the peace of mind that if I don`t like a particular set after purchase, spare parts will always have many quality uses. That rarely happens though!

Some of the bigger sets ( like their pirate ship) look pretty cool.

I believe Playmobil is pretty popular in Europe. Emes, does your wife sell Playmobil more to the US based clients or overseas ?

My wife buys and sells Playmobil all the time...same as LEGO, buy low, sell high. It's a much smaller market than LEGO because you don't have a ton of adults that are into it.

But you can't build nothing with them!!!!!!! Where are the blocks???? Hehe, that was my thought process back then, but yeah they look like quality products.

Heh heh, I know what you mean. Like emes stated, Playmobil is targeted towards a different demograph altogether. They are nice to look at in general but there is only so much that can be done with Playmobil compared to Lego or Mega Bloks even. Although Mega Bloks is similiar in limitation when it comes to characters the same as Playmobil. (Can't customize a Mega Bloks figure without some major alteration.) Playmobil plastic is also pretty resiliant and durable. (Last time I bought one that is.)

Does Kre-O have mystery bags as well?

Yup. Here's the direct page to their Transformers Micro-Changers. I'm trying to remember if I have even seen one of these in store before.

Some of the bigger sets ( like their pirate ship) look pretty cool.

I believe Playmobil is pretty popular in Europe. Emes, does your wife sell Playmobil more to the US based clients or overseas ?

We've seen some of both...some Asian purchases too.

You have to be careful with Playmobil...some of their sets are complete trash in the secondary market...

I actually have two old Playmobil sets from when I was 5 or 6. I believe they are either given away now or packed in some box. They were my favorite toys. Next came Imaginext with some Lego sets too, then Lego completely took over after I got a Jabba's Sail Barge in 2007. That is the set that got me into Lego.

Last month I picked up about 10 of these Playmobil sets on clearance at Kohls. All holiday themed. They rung up $1.04. Original price was $14.95. http://compare.ebay.com/like/151025368203?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar. They seem like a safe bet for this holiday season and if they don't sell for a good profit they will great Christmas presents for my son's friends.

Last month I picked up about 10 of these Playmobil sets on clearance at Kohls. All holiday themed. They rung up $1.04. Original price was $14.95. They seem like a safe bet for this holiday season and if they don't sell for a good profit they will great Christmas presents for my son's friends.

I won't even pretend to know what Playmobil toys are worth in the secondary market but at a an investment of $1.04 each, how could you not make a profit? That's one heck of a find.

• 1 month later...

I have a huge collection of Playmobil, and it does have an adult collector base. I don't know how big compared to Lego. You can customize the figures by breaking them down, and plenty of different looking figures that way. They are really popular in europe, since they are from Germany. It is a high quality product.