Insane 1,000+ Pound Lot from California

JoshTX

Have any of you guys seen this? I bet a couple of you crazy dudes from this site have made an offer on this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181085161471#description

The seller is stating best offer so far hasbeen 12,500, but he still hasn't accepted an offer. The logistics of moving this amount of bricks has got to be hell, not to mention storing them. You could spend the rest of your life trying to sort this lot!

Yup, I remember this. Sometimes for kicks, I search up "lego" and sort by highest price. One person was selling the entire stock of a store for $34,000 or something. Truly rediculous why anyone would pay that much. I would really enjoy sorting through this lot though because it seems to be fairly sorted, plus most of it is Star Wars. ;)

I have seen this before.

Didn't someone else post this like 6-8 weeks ago?

I think he may have raised his price since then... not lowered it.

Sorry if it was already posted, I didn't see it. As far as raising his price, I guess he isn't all that eager to move this stuff. I hope he didn't screw over a buyer and raise the price after accepting a lower offer.

I would have a paypal rep fly out there with me to make sure the description is accurate.

1100 lbs? He is totally ball parking.

It would be so hard to obtain that many legos.

How do you even weigh something like that? Besides. If he is legit, he probably has built all the sets. To build that many, you would have to have a permenant LEGO logo on your thumbs...

Rather unfortunately, I think he is indeed legit that he has all the sets he purchased (1832 feedback rating, 100%), though I am a little in doubt that it all actually weighs over 1,000 lbs.

How do you even weigh something like that? Besides. If he is legit, he probably has built all the sets. To build that many, you would have to have a permenant LEGO logo on your thumbs...

Rather unfortunately, I think he is indeed legit that he has all the sets he purchased (1832 feedback rating, 100%), though I am a little in doubt that it all actually weighs over 1,000 lbs.

He talks about weighing one tote of minifigures and says it weighs 38 pounds, so I think he's estimating the total weight going off the idea that all the totes weight that much and then multiplying it up. Just a guess.

Nah... I'm sure he's just trying a different strategy.

My uncle owns an antique shop, and when he can't sell an item, he raises the price. And of course then it will sell.

People are weird. And that kind of psychology is way out of my league.

Maybe when people see the price going up, they think "Geez, this must be popular! I'd better get it before it's bought!!" Isn't that why some people buy already retired Lego sets, such as the UCS Millennium Falcon or old HP sets?

He talks about weighing one tote of minifigures and says it weighs 38 pounds, so I think he's estimating the total weight going off the idea that all the totes weight that much and then multiplying it up. Just a guess. Interesting. Not really sure how he can get to that conclusion, but if I were him, I would be more exact with my measurements. Looks like a lot of the stuff is already in boxes. I would weigh all of them, even if it breaks something. Worth it, because if your buyer weighs it, and it is only 900 lbs, then you have some trouble on your hands.

He talks about weighing one tote of minifigures and says it weighs 38 pounds, so I think he's estimating the total weight going off the idea that all the totes weight that much and then multiplying it up. Just a guess. Interesting. Not really sure how he can get to that conclusion, but if I were him, I would be more exact with my measurements. Looks like a lot of the stuff is already in boxes. I would weigh all of them, even if it breaks something. Worth it, because if your buyer weighs it, and it is only 900 lbs, then you have some trouble on your hands.True, but he's probably banking on the person being overwhelmed and not being able to accurately weigh it themselves. After reading his description it seems like he's pretty overwhelmed himself at this point, and may be assuming that the buyer will be either in so much awe or overwhelmed themselves that they won't be able to adequately ensure that his merchandise matches the description exactly. He likely thinks that all of the estimating he's doing is acceptable because of the size of the lot.

Can you imagine sorting all this out for inventory purposes if you wanted to start a bricklink store? This alone makes my head hurt. However, money can be made but time needed will be insane. I would wager a month's salary that if you offered even $5k cash in-person, he would seriously think about it.

I wonder why he never just spent the time and tried to build one popular set every week (start with the minifigs and instructions). Takes time to hurt down needed elements when you have boxes of them plus minifigs. Then slowly getting rid of everything using eBay through used set w/instructions auctions,. Might take 2-3 years but he'll score some nice cash depending on sets. It's not like he as a girlfriend / wife (stated in the auction) to nag and yell at him while building lego for 2-3 years. Might have a kid though (judging by his username) and thus, my one set a week comment. Then he'll truly be a "Brick Picker" (no pun)

After reading the description, I find something unsettling about this auction. Like maybe I would not want to go into this guy's basement to look at the merchandise. I think it is unrealistic for him to be asking a premium for what he paid. If I am dealing with the logistics of moving this amount of lego, I will be expecting a large discount. It will be interesting to watch what happens with it.

After reading the description, I find something unsettling about this auction. Like maybe I would not want to go into this guy's basement to look at the merchandise. I think it is unrealistic for him to be asking a premium for what he paid. If I am dealing with the logistics of moving this amount of lego, I will be expecting a large discount. It will be interesting to watch what happens with it.

I'm almost starting to think he may not sell it at all, at least not under the terms and conditions of his auction. There are alot of things that don't make sense. And it is true, moving this amount of merchandise at once is going to be costly. He claims to have turned down a couple of local offers that were semi-decent, so I don't know if he's making that up to create hype or if he just really doesn't care that much about moving this stuff. In reality, a local purchase would probably be his safest and best bet. The buyer could look at the stuff before they commit so there's no communication issues, and could move the merchandise in a couple trips with a decent size truck or flatbed trailer, alleviating the inevitable shipping headaches he's going to have if he ships anywhere. They could save money by doing it off ebay as well. One of the things that really threw me off was his talk about putting everything into garbage bags. WTH?

Not like I have anywhere near that much money anyway, but I completely lost interest at the "tubs aren't included, fill up some garbage bags" comment. For that much money you can stand to include the $15 tubs with it.

It takes a lot of effort to pour legos from a tub into trash bags. That would suck.

Also this guy hasn't slowly sold of this lot because it's obvious that he's a hoarder and he's still buying things. Like that Ninjago store display...

Even if I had that kind of money to spend on LEGO's I don't really think is worth the hassle. I wouldn't want to deal with this guy anyway for some reason...

This. It is a train wreck waiting to happen.

The listing just screams "Danger, WIll Robinson. Danger, danger! Warning, warning!". It's barely coherent and rambling, stream of consciousness, etc. He blows off serious questions and says it's such a great deal, you are essentially foolish to be asking questions. It's "just pay my price and you'll make a forture reselling it. Trust me."

After just scrolling through that description, It would have be at an insanely low price to even consider putting up with all the BS that this will entail. And the trash bag comments are the cherry on top of the sundae.

If he wants to sell it for top dollar, he needs to neatly organize everything, take better photos and write up a serious, detailed description.

If you are not local and able to stop by and talk to/check out this guy in person, you are equally insane to seriously consider buying it.

Regardless. I want to be a voyeur and see what happens.

Not to mention the fact that it really appears like he's amassed lots of random legos and not nearly as many full sets as the booklets would make you believe. So many of his ebay purchases that he lists in the last couple years are "random" lots of this and that. I find it's way easier to make money on smaller collections that you can figure out in a couple of days or a couple of weeks. For instance lets say you're inventorying a set and you need a one of a kind part you have to search through 20 tubs of loose legos rather than one tub of loose legos. When you buy multiple smaller lots you've already had some of the "sorting" done since they aren't all mixed together.

Not to mention the fact that it really appears like he's amassed lots of random legos and not nearly as many full sets as the booklets would make you believe. So many of his ebay purchases that he lists in the last couple years are "random" lots of this and that.

I find it's way easier to make money on smaller collections that you can figure out in a couple of days or a couple of weeks. For instance lets say you're inventorying a set and you need a one of a kind part you have to search through 20 tubs of loose legos rather than one tub of loose legos. When you buy multiple smaller lots you've already had some of the "sorting" done since they aren't all mixed together.

Agreed. I bought a 35 pound bulk tub and it took me hours to sort through it alone. Imagine having to dig through 20 totes to get what you need for 1 set.