4204 - The Mine

M4x18

What i've learned the last couple of weeks is that there is money to be earned on sets where you do not expect it. I have had some nice experiences with the bigger city sets for example. People postpone buying them for junior cause they are on a high pricepoint for a normal family. Then when they see they are gone they search for them and pay above rrp for them to make junior happy.

When the sets are something special (like the mine) they will appreciate I think. Now it is time for lego to put them on sale.

Bad thing about City theme is there are a police center and a fire brigade every 3 years, which means whenever a guy want one to his kid (at RRP I mean), he can.

Keeping that in mind, the mine is quite a unique theme and original (and so will be the new arctic theme).

BTW if you see the 4202 (mining truck) in stores do not skip it. ;)

Bad thing about City theme is there are a police center and a fire brigade every 3 years, which means whenever a guy want one to his kid (at RRP I mean), he can.

Keeping that in mind, the mine is quite a unique theme and original (and so will be the new arctic theme).

BTW if you see the 4202 (mining truck) in stores do not skip it. ;)

Yup, that is the dump truck I referred to. Big (for a City set) and awesome. Was able to find one on eBay after it sold-out eveywhere for $25. Too bad I missed it during sales before retirement.

Yup, that is the dump truck I referred to. Big (for a City set) and awesome. Was able to find one on eBay after it sold-out eveywhere for $25. Too bad I missed it during sales before retirement.

I'm really hoping those start to appreciate and get over $50 by the holiday season.  I have several.

I'm really hoping those start to appreciate and get over $50 by the holiday season. I have several.

. Ditto. I was wondering if The Mine set itself has something to do with the 4202 Mining Dump Truck's slow growth since it had the shortest life of all The Mining sets. Maybe once this set is retires,

more people wild flock to the retired sets. However, that prob would have happened already since the Mine is still at retail or below. We might have a $ dud on our hands :( despite no dump trucks released since.

Granted, it's a City set but it was available only from June '12 to Oct '12 in the US and Until Nov / Dec '12 in Europe.

For everyone...

Here is the complete Mining line.

http://brickset.com/sets/theme-City/subtheme-Mining

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

Ditto. I was wondering if The Mine set itself has something to do with the 4202 Mining Dump Truck's slow growth since it had the shortest life of all The Mining sets. Maybe once this set is retired, more people wild flock to the retired sets. However, that prob would have happened already. We might have a $ dud on our hands :( despite no dump trucks released since.

Granted, it's a City set but it was available only from June '12 to Oct '12 in the US and Until Nov / Dec '12 in Europe.

For everyone...

Here is the complete Mining line.

http://brickset.com/sets/theme-City/subtheme-Mining

I'm really surprised too.  I was really drawn to it when it was on clearance.  I still think it's one of the largest and best looking trucks that's been released in the City theme.  I think it will take off and I really hope it gets to $75, it has to right? :sweat:

In the Netherlands you can still find the mine as well as the mining truck. As I said I bought 2 trucks at lunch time and after that I went to another shop and they had 6! I left them. First I will see what these 2 will do.

As said before... I like the mine and the mine truck. They are not fire brigades or police stations. Probably it takes some more time before they appreciate.

On a side note. I have sold a couple of sets lately that I thought were duds but people even offer me more than I am asking cause they are desperately seeking those for their kids. When I have put the add on reserved still people query if I still have it or have another one by any chance.

Don't forget that City sets tend to appreciate slower than other themes, but these "specialty" sets do appreciate (especially the larger sets - see The Farm, previous CG sets, etc.) Also keep in mind the dump truck is a remake, which may be depressing its value.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

• 3 months later...

I think this set ( THE mine 4204 ) is pretty near EOL.  It was my son's first BIG set at Xmas 2012, and he still enjoys it.  You can still get them at LEGO Shop at Home for MSRP $100.  I can find them at my local ToysrUS at US$110... with a coupon and gift cards I can get that down to $80 (sales tax included), but I think that's about the best I can do.  (My TRU won't stack coupons and promos).  At that price, I'd like to see it post EOL arrive at at least $170 to sell...  but will it get there anytime soon?  I think it's a great set, but it's only 748 pcs, 4 generic minifigs... it's a big box, and a bit pricey to ship... if it won't make $170, I don't want it.  Do you think it will get there? 

... or would just getting a T1 10220 at $120 LEGO Shop at Home be a safer bet?

I think this set ( THE mine 4204 ) is pretty near EOL.  It was my son's first BIG set at Xmas 2012, and he still enjoys it.  You can still get them at S@H for MSRP $100.  I can find them at my local ToysrUS at US$110... with a coupon and gift cards I can get that down to $80 (sales tax included), but I think that's about the best I can do.  (My TRU won't stack coupons and promos).  At that price, I'd like to see it post EOL arrive at at least $170 to sell...  but will it get there anytime soon?  I think it's a great set, but it's only 748 pcs, 4 generic minifigs... it's a big box, and a bit pricey to ship... if it won't make $170, I don't want it.  Do you think it will get there? 

... or would just getting a T1 10220 at $120 S@H be a safer bet?

I think getting a T1 10220 is a much safer bet.  The Mine would be a good pick-up at 50% off, but I'd go T1 or Grand Emporium for sure.

Yep it's retiring, sets are disappearing here and there and it has the "hard to find" tag worldwide on LEGO Shop at Home (not because it's exclusive or expensive: just because it's retiring).

With 50% it will be great but for sure I wouldn't bite at MSRP.

I got 2 with 35% off and I'm happy with that because I see some potential in that set.

I expect about +50% MSRP within two years, so about $150 (double MSRP will be hard to reach IMO, a plateau at $170 seems to be a reasonable expecting :) )

• 1 month later...

What i've learned the last couple of weeks is that there is money to be earned on sets where you do not expect it. I have had some nice experiences with the bigger city sets for example. People postpone buying them for junior cause they are on a high pricepoint for a normal family. Then when they see they are gone they search for them and pay above rrp for them to make junior happy.

When the sets are something special (like the mine) they will appreciate I think. Now it is time for lego to put them on sale.

Cig, I enjoy your perspective on looking at what others are not. I am in Tucson, AZ this week on business and a TRU has six of this set- I have not seen it in stock anywhere else. I am considering picking up a few.

Why won't this set just go away while there's time to make a decent ROI! I pray to the old and new gods of Westeros each night.

I wonder if new sets have been made lately or retailers are still selling sets from 2013.

Honestly, I fear is that it will finally disappear just when a new line of City digging sets surface.

• Like 1

Why won't this set just go away while there's time to make a decent ROI! I pray to the old and new gods of Westeros each night.

I wonder if new sets have been made lately or retailers are still selling sets from 2013.

Honestly, I fear is that it will finally disappear just when a new line of City digging sets surface.

Mine :P my sets have seals 15S4.

Please take a look to this link:

http://kollectobil.com/2014/09/new-lego-city-assortment-slated-for-2015/

I think this new "digging/demoltion/construction" theme will help the 4204 mine even more. :)

The biggest new set seems to be the "60076 building demoltion". It will not drop in value the mine...

But it will not be the same with the other sets, indeed. The 60075 (still un-named) will not help the 4203 excavator transporter.

(BTW this new excavator reminds me the 42006 technic excavator, I feel the same spirit and can see that lego lacks some imagination)

Really, I'm optimistic with this 4204 mine. Hold on, don't throw them for peanuts !

Edited by biniou

• 2 months later...

Got one today @ 80 euros - 30% which means end Price of 55. Is it a good deal?

You'll make profit. I was reluctant to buy them when I saw a big palette of them at the local warehouse priced at 57 I think. I doubted long time to pick it up, but in the end, I didn't. It was during the 'Town Hall is going' period. 55

Edited by Neosphinx
  • Like 1