Legos at the thrift store?

dunkers97

Totally random, but if the stars align you could walk in to find a potential goldmine. If you like the thrill of the hunt this may be right up your alley, just consider that all the time you spend and gas you waste driving about does add up so you that "deal" you find may have cost you a lot more than you think.

This is why I typically don't waste alot of time with thrift stores, especially Goodwill. I'm sure there's some good finds once in a while at Goodwill, but every time I go into one of their stores, the prices are much higher on all items than what you would expect thrift prices to be, and there's always a ton of people in the stores, greatly reducing the chance you are going to find any treasures. To make matters worse, if they ever DO get anything that they think is even remotely of value, they lock it in a glass case and do a silent auction on it as opposed to just selling it. I saw a tub of legos in their glass case once that they were auctioning, estimated it was about 5 lbs, and it was basically standard blocks. Upon closer inspection it had mega bloks mixed in as well. They wanted to start bidding at 25 bucks! It just doesn't feel like Goodwill is even a bargain anymore. This "Savers" store had alot less people though, far cheaper prices, and surprisingly, better toy/game selection. I guess the hipsters haven't caught onto it yet.

I've only seen one Lego set at my local Goodwill, but it was...wait for it...the Taj Mahal. I was looking for a pair of khakis when I saw an older gentleman carrying a beat-up Taj box; a few pieces may have been missing, but it was obvious from the way he was carrying it that the box was HEAVY. I offered him $100 on the spot if he would let me buy it, but no dice. He knew what he'd scored, so I nodded politely and left. After losing out on $400 profit or more, the idea of saving $10 on a pair of used pants wasn't so appealing anymore.

I've only seen one Lego set at my local Goodwill, but it was...wait for it...the Taj Mahal. I was looking for a pair of khakis when I saw an older gentleman carrying a beat-up Taj box; a few pieces may have been missing, but it was obvious from the way he was carrying it that the box was HEAVY. I offered him $100 on the spot if he would let me buy it, but no dice. He knew what he'd scored, so I nodded politely and left.

After losing out on $400 profit or more, the idea of saving $10 on a pair of used pants wasn't so appealing anymore.

Cool story, just a shame that you weren't the guy that was able to grab it. Did he tell you how much they were selling it for? I think if a Taj showed up here it would go straight into that glass case I had mentioned and be auctioned....

I make my living buying from thrift stores and reselling. I deal mostly with games, toys & kids books. In an average month I make over 100 total trips to 35 different thrift stores. That all being said I hardly ever find regular Legos. What I do find is usually small zip lock bags mixed with random toys for $3-$8. I find quite a bit of loose Duplo but not a big profit there, same with loose Bionicles. In three years and thousands of thrift store trips this is most of what I have found and what I paid. Sealed (3) 7896 Straight & Curved Track - $4.99 Each 7670 Hailfire & Spider Droid - $12.99 6163 Mosaic - $9.99 3775 Duplo Switch - $3.99 2009 or 2010 Advent Calendar - $5.99 8596 Bionicle - $4.99 Open Box Star Wars At At Missing all minifigures - $9.99 7189 Kingdom's Mill Missing all minifigures - $7.99 7670 Hailfire & Spider Droid - Complete - $1.99 2011 Advent Calendar $3.99 Loose Santa Fe Engine w/ 5 cars & 100 pieces Track- $5.00 130 Pieces Train Track - $12.99 10 Road Plates - $2.99 Probably 50lbs or so loose bags Probably 125 lbs Duplo loose bags I have made quite a bit from these Legos but given amount of thrift store trips it really isn't much. I make more money from clearance Lego's at Walmart.

Sealed

(3) 7896 Straight & Curved Track - $4.99 Each

7670 Hailfire & Spider Droid - $12.99

6163 Mosaic - $9.99

3775 Duplo Switch - $3.99

2009 or 2010 Advent Calendar - $5.99

8596 Bionicle - $4.99

Open Box

Star Wars At At Missing all minifigures - $9.99

7189 Kingdom's Mill Missing all minifigures - $7.99

7670 Hailfire & Spider Droid - Complete - $1.99

2011 Advent Calendar $3.99

Loose

Santa Fe Engine w/ 5 cars & 100 pieces Track- $5.00

130 Pieces Train Track - $12.99

10 Road Plates - $2.99

Probably 50lbs or so loose bags

Probably 125 lbs Duplo loose bags

I have made quite a bit from these Legos but given amount of thrift store trips it really isn't much. I make more money from clearance Lego's at Walmart.

I have to say...extremely impressive load from thrift stores. If you don't mind sharing, how often do you go, and to how many different thrift stores? That Santa Fe Engine w/ 5 cars and 100 pieces of Track is making me drool!! :)

I noticed that you also buy Duplos. Have you had any success reselling them? I know that many members here don't invest in them, which includes myself, so any insight would be great!

Almost two years ago, my wife and I were trying to scrounge up a few things for our wedding which had to be done on a shoe string, we visited over a hundred thrift stores in 12 cities multiple times over the course of 3 months, the only lego sets I saw were a few bionicles and they were priced at retail.

There's a Savers here in Austin. I've never tried going in there but what the heck, I'll give it a shot next time. I have horrid luck with finding cheap Lego but I've been on a good streak with CL so maybe I'll eventually get lucky with a store.

Hey Josh, looks like we are both in Austin(I'm actually in Round Rock) I didn't even know of Savers! Apparently there is one in Cedar Park

Hey Josh, looks like we are both in Austin(I'm actually in Round Rock) I didn't even know of Savers! Apparently there is one in Cedar Park

one of you two send me some Salt lick!!

Thats cool, Mike, I'll keep you informed of any local deals I find.

Stephen: If youre in the area stop by and I'll give you some jalapeno cheese pork sausage from the last feral hog I shot. Better than any sausage from Salt Lick. My girl is nagging me though because my freezer is overflowing with meat and she can't put anything else in there.

• 3 weeks later...