Legos at the thrift store?

dunkers97

A good friend of mine has made hundreds buying items from thrift stores. He has lately found a lot of legos. Recently bought the Cantina with the greedo mini figure in perfect condition. Too many successes to list but he has found a lot of legos people just don't know the value. He sells the mini figs. separate and bulk lots the legos. He has been doing this for months since he has learned how valuable the sets are. He gets very excited, comes into my office at work dumps the legos on my desk and asks me to "evaluate" what he got and what its worth. Pretty amazing.

A good friend of mine has made hundreds buying items from thrift stores. He has lately found a lot of legos. Recently bought the Cantina with the greedo mini figure in perfect condition. Too many successes to list but he has found a lot of legos people just don't know the value. He sells the mini figs. separate and bulk lots the legos. He has been doing this for months since he has learned how valuable the sets are. He gets very excited, comes into my office at work dumps the legos on my desk and asks me to "evaluate" what he got and what its worth. Pretty amazing.

How much $$$ was the lot?

This weekend, my grandma was at the Goodwill near her house (we don't have any nearby) and saw a 75002 AT-RT for $9.99, but 35% off with her senior discount, or something, and some other offer (she was buying a bunch of other stuff too). I'll receive it sometime tomorrow I think, so I am hoping that it comes in decent condition! First time ever getting a set from a thrift store. ;)

I'm about to cut my wrists after hearing that! :D I have had very little success over the years.

I am telling you he has made hundreds. He recently sold an Indiana jones set for about a hundred and he recently had a fire station. The cantina was a great catch. He paid about 30 bucks for I think about 20lbs of legos with about 12-15 mini figures one of them being greedo. He has him up for 30 on ebay then will bulk out the legos and mini figures.

I am telling you he has made hundreds. He recently sold an Indiana jones set for about a hundred and he recently had a fire station. The cantina was a great catch. He paid about 30 bucks for I think about 20lbs of legos with about 12-15 mini figures one of them being greedo. He has him up for 30 on ebay then will bulk out the legos and mini figures.

Where did he get it? That set was only available in Germany, or perhaps the rest of Europe, but never the U.S.

There's a Savers here in Austin. I've never tried going in there but what the heck, I'll give it a shot next time. I have horrid luck with finding cheap Lego but I've been on a good streak with CL so maybe I'll eventually get lucky with a store.

Where did he get it? That set was only available in Germany, or perhaps the rest of Europe, but never the U.S.

What set was never available in the US? Please elaborate.

I think you should talk to one of the more qualified Lego junkies on here, but I read awhile ago in one of the official Lego books, that it was only available in Germany.

What set was never available in the US? Please elaborate.

I think you should talk to one of the more qualified Lego junkies on here, but I read awhile ago in one of the official Lego books, that it was only available in Germany.

If you're talking about the Cantina, you're wrong. I find it hard to believe an official Lego book would have said that.

I'm about to cut my wrists after hearing that! :D I have had very little success over the years.

My local thrift store parts out the bulk bricks. They put all of the Lego pieces into plastic bags and sell them by the pound. The minifigures are taken out and put into a glass display at the front of the store. They price the minifigures pretty high so I've never found any rare ones at a good price. I also have never seen complete sets or new sets at the store either. I've also been to a couple of Goodwills, but I've never seen any Lego there.

My local thrift store parts out the bulk bricks. They put all of the Lego pieces into plastic bags and sell them by the pound. The minifigures are taken out and put into a glass display at the front of the store. They price the minifigures pretty high so I've never found any rare ones at a good price. I also have never seen complete sets or new sets at the store either. I've also been to a couple of Goodwills, but I've never seen any Lego there. Bummer dude!

• 2 weeks later...

Went into a Savers thrift store today and found a 9489 Endor Battle pack, box beat to hell, but it was only 89 cents. Grabbed it thinking that even if 1 minifigure was intact it would pretty much pay for the cost. Turned out all 4 minifigs were inside and complete, there were just 3 minor pieces of the speeder missing that I can replace from parts in my bulk tub. So I'm pretty happy with that.

Totally random, but if the stars align you could walk in to find a potential goldmine. If you like the thrill of the hunt this may be right up your alley, just consider that all the time you spend and gas you waste driving about does add up so you that "deal" you find may have cost you a lot more than you think.