How do you stack your NISB sets?

What would be the best way to put the lego sets? I am sure all of us have small sets and big sets, how would you put the sets? Would you stack them vertically or flat on the bigger surface horizontally? If vertically next to each other, would it be ok to put a few sets on top? If you lay flat, how many sets would you stack before it gets too heavy? I am trying to find out from some of your experienced collectors on how you would store your precious sets while protecting the box to the best condition. Thanks for the advice in advance.

For anyone contemplating storing their sets in a garage or attic, on one hand much will depend on your geographic location and the extremes of temperature the sets will be exposed to. However, keep in mind that often these sets sit for months on end in cardboard boxes in warehouses with little or no temperature regulation. Amazon has mega warehouses in Tennessee and California, so imagine the temperature swings your sets have already been exposed to before you've even laid hands on them. I'd also wager that while your attics probably do get pretty warm/cold, your garages likely don't ever reach the extremes of temperature that the outdoors does. Might be a viable place to store some sets.

You have to do vertical. Learned this the hard with stacking Medieval Market Villages horizontally and ruined three of the boxes. Also I would not suggest a garage or attic. Too much heat. @Snowcrash. I've actually had the opportunity to go into two Amazon warehouses and they do really really well at keeping a consistent temperature. So I don't think much damage happens there.

You have to do vertical. Learned this the hard with stacking Medieval Market Villages horizontally and ruined three of the boxes. Also I would not suggest a garage or attic. Too much heat.

@Snowcrash. I've actually had the opportunity to go into two Amazon warehouses and they do really really well at keeping a consistent temperature. So I don't think much damage happens there.

If you do vertically, will the settlement of the bricks bouge out and thus expand the box in a bad way?

Can you go horizontally with large sets if there's nothing on top of it? Just asking because I can then put 4 of them spread out under my bed.

Yes, I think that it is all right if nothing is on top. Actually if you have nothing on top, it's smarter to put them horizontally because the weight of the box is distributed over a larger surface area, making the stress on the bottom portion of the box less, keeping your box from any traumatic experience it may have from the weight of the Lego's inside.