Advice needed, Buy older sets first or more recent ones?

R

I've started collecting these sets. I've bought complete sets 3, 4, 5, and 6, which came out to nearly 200. I've been wondering what the most logical way to collect the other sets would be, if I should concentrate on getting series 1 and 2 first (I can find series 1 for about 150 and series 2 for about 100) or if I should get series 7, 8, 9, and 10 (which would come out to be about 200) before going back and trying for 1 and 2. Because, the more time passes, the higher 1and 2 will go up. But if I invest in 1 and 2 first, 7 and 8 (and maybe 9) are probably going to have gone up a bit before I have enough money to buy them... So, which ones should I get first? I've also been thinking about buying those full boxes, keeping one set and selling the rest, but the boxes for 7 and 8 are about 150 each, and even though there are 3 sets in each, I wouldn't want to keep the extra sets on my hands for a few years before trying to sell them. At the current price, they'd only be worth 50 about, so after selling the two extra sets, series 7 and 8 will come out to be about the 50 I would have spent just to buy one full complete set anyway. So might as well just buy a full set for 50 instead of buying a box and trying to sell the rest... And series 9 only has two full sets, so it'll be harder to get rid of the rest. Plus, I don't have any desire to have to deal with customers, shipping, negotiating, returns, complaints, etc., so selling a bunch of figures individually doesn't interest me (can you imagine the work required just to sell one of them? Yikes!). Yes, if I buy those boxes, I could sell them a few years down the road for much more than what I bought them, but that implies investing money, time, and energy. It's just a headache. I'm not in it for the money, I just want to collect for the lowest price available.

For starters, I am not much of a CMS (Collectable Minifigure Series) collector, but once "Mr. Gold" comes out, that may change. I would say that you should buy the more recent ones, because unless you are a "completist", then I would just buy whatever Series 7-9 you can find, then continue forward from there to Series 10 and beyond. Seems like you have done your research and know what you are talking about, so based on that, I think that you would probably end up buying the first couple series anyways. :) Now I have to say this: This depends on your preference. I think that you have a passion for CMS, so you should go ahead with that, and buy them. I am not sure that the first couple series will increase that much more than what they are at now, but I think that 7-9, if you get them, still have lots of time as well as room to appreciate for you! :-)

Are we to assume that you are talking about Collectable Minifigures?

Yes, I should have specified that I was talking about the collectable minifigures...

After reading the first few replies, I am leaning more towards getting the newer series. I'm not sure how much of a completionist I am, and there are really only a few in 1 and 2 that really interest me. I mean, before collecting these entire series, I actually just wanted to buy a few individual figures from each series. But then I saw that it costs like, 10 just for one figure (on average, and with shipping), I decided to go the route of getting full sets since that comes out cheaper (especially for older sets like 3, 4, and 5).

I mean, it's nice to have full series, but I guess it's not really necessary... I think I'm going to try to get 7-10 first (might as well get the full series since it's pretty affordable at about 50 per series) and then I'll see what I think about going back for 1 and 2...

Thanks for your replies!