Trains - general discussion

Seifer

According to Eurobricks the switch is to new Power-Functions using Bluetooth Low Energy transmission, and connectors like those used in Lego Boost...
New base:
5a61d69c97221_NieuweLegoPowerfunctions.jpg.37765c88086942e0fd5aa5b69bbbf726.jpg
Compare with Lego Boost Medium motor:
Medium-Motor.jpg

That control box wouldn't work for Trains, as it requires them to be 8-wide, and LEGO trains are always 6-wide.

Guest TabbyBoy

I hope this new train system doesn't drive down the prices of present sets and component if buyer want mostly the latest-and-greatest like gadget freaks do. I've not paid more than 60% of RRP for any train set so I hope to at least break even. I really want 60052 to retire asap as I have a stash of them to offload. The new system does look interesting and I will look at it at some point.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Saw the new train on the shelf at Target today. A little surprised, they never carried the old ones in store around here. 

IMG_5769.jpg

I noticed that during the reset also. They did do some rearranging to add the Speed Champions also and I think its because of TRUs downfall and the opportunity to allow more floor space for the Toy dept.

• 1 year later...
Guys, how do you like the train from Hidden Side?
I like Hidden Side sets overall and have bought key sets from the theme.
But the train doesn't appeal to me. It's simple, dark and the cabins are very short...
Now it's available for £42 in GB, but I still doubt...

I’m not a fan either. I like the Ghost Train much better. Something about this train just does not appeal to me.
  • Like 1

Speaking of Trains. I have the pre- power Up train motor and It is far too fast for the Winter Train. I don't have a controller, but I did get the Disney Train and think I will open it and use the new format for the winter train. 

Should I buy an old controller as it seems like it is rather pointless without it?

1 hour ago, CosmicSpeed said:

I have the pre- power Up train motor and It is far too fast for the Winter Train.

In my experience I prefer the older power functions over the newer powered up system. I Did find the winter train lack of weight over the drive wheels to be in need of remedy.

19 minutes ago, Belac said:

In my experience I prefer the older power functions over the newer powered up system. I Did find the winter train lack of weight over the drive wheels to be in need of remedy.

Rubber bands on all 4 wheels to maximize grip and make your battery life more effective. Put one on the wheels that control the spin function on the tree so that gets maximum twist

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

Rubber bands on all 4 wheels to maximize grip and make your battery life more effective. Put one on the wheels that control the spin function on the tree so that gets maximum twist

Thanks...I'm going to look like a genius in front my kid

...milking these precious years b4 dreaded teen years.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Having an issue with the outer edge of train track lifting as though it's under compression.

I have a 1x8 plate underneath each end of this 90-deg turn of plastic train track but its otherwise unsecured intended to be laying on gray tiles.  The outer edge of the track seems to bow and lift off the gray tiles, by about a tile and a half thickness, like it's under compression.

I tried it on a gray baseplate as shown in the background of the picture with only 1x8 plates and it does the same thing.  I'm nearly certain the ends are connected where they need to be in the X and Y planes (not off by a stud on one end).

Maybe I need to find a connection point that lines up underneath and replace that location with a 1x1 plate instead of a tiles the whole way.  I just figured it would lay flat by default.

If anyone has any ideas what might be causing the track to lift and what I can do about it I'd be interested.

20200223_171824.jpg

20200223_172053.jpg

• 9 months later...

I recently stumbled upon (and quickly purchased!) a gold mine of 9V train items (270+ track, multiple sets) on FB marketplace.  In it was a sealed 10183 Factory Build Your Way Hobby Train.  I got confused because I then found a lone 10183 instruction manual in the lot.  I was then looking on Bricklink to see how much the manual is worth, and I see the following note:  

Set instructions were not packaged in the sealed box, but were distributed with the set.

What exactly does this mean?  If you bought this through Lego, they would hand you the manual outside of the box?  I've never heard of such a thing, so I did not want to assume too much...  Many thanks in advance.

29 minutes ago, trstnkn said:

Set instructions were not packaged in the sealed box, but were distributed with the set.

What exactly does this mean?  If you bought this through Lego, they would hand you the manual outside of the box?  I've never heard of such a thing, so I did not want to assume too much...  Many thanks in advance.

I believe that the set instructions were not packaged in the sealed box, but were distributed with the set (sorry, I couldn't resist).

I believe that is simply the case, and they mention it to confirm that the instructions were not intended to be included in the box (no instructions, still complete - not an error/issue)