Trains - general discussion

Seifer

There are better investments.

If you would ask if the 10233-1 Horizon Express is a train you can call a GOOD investment I would say yes.

I don't see this train go above 1.5 x MSRP. Only if you buy them cheap enough, they are worth it imo.

Regarding to City sets, it's of course one of the better sets to invest in.

You won't loose money on it, but I would choose to call it a 'mediocre' but safe investment rather then a good one.

It depends of what you call "good".

City sets are not big money makers but there are always people searching for these sets to fill with trains they already own (and they are sold with tracks and motors, so it's still appealing from a buyer point of view).

The 7939 set was released on 2010, it has been retired on 2014 (in europe, dunno for the USA).

If you got some with 30% off (for example), so 125

Edited by biniou

7898 has more than doubled in price,  but it has been 5 years since EOL.   Though I think the yellow train is a better looking set.  That being said Amazon had the yellow train last year for $126.

7898 had the "Deluxe" addition to it. And the apearance is pure taste. I prefer 7898 as in my opinion, it is better built. I also believe 7939 is less scarce than 7898. It will perform less, not much, but less.

• 2 weeks later...

We had the freight train, the steam locomotive and the modern express. Now what we need is a crappy rundown eastern european passenger train from the 70-80s. A new track piece is needed which makes the train bump and derails if goes at normal speed, so a speed limit has to be imposed which makes the train rides very slow.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 3

Good question...

Hmmm considering that the Back to the future Ideas set will not be produced (If I'm not mistaking), no vintage sets in the catalog (bye bye sopwith camel, and the cute 31015 is so tiny...), so maybe a vintage steam train... and so people will be able to easily MOC it into a BttF train so people will be happy...

Yes, if you ask me I think a XIXth century steam train would be great (passengers and mail). But maybe not in 2015, because the Lone Ranger 79111 Consitution Train is not that old (yet no more produced).

My 0.00000000000000002 cents ^^

edit: another kind of train: old, steam machine, but from the XXth century: the North Coast Limited (1948 - 1953 version, black, green and yellow):

http://transpressnz.blogspot.fr/2011/12/early-years-of-nothern-pacifics-notrh.html

Or the 2 tones (of green) version (1954 and more): '>

Edited by biniou

Horizon Express is now "Call for Availability". Suspect it is now gone. Sells for $200 on amazon right now.

Ahhh... finally gone. At least I hope so. We'll see one by the end of 2015 then. I am almost hoping for a new Holiday train. However, I would rather see another steam train, or an unlicensed diesel train. Not necessarily any one specific train though, but am wishing for a Santa Fe-est locomotive, if it is a diesel train.

Still, it raises the question of will it be a passenger or cargo train? I'm mixed, simply because a reason we got a advanced cargo train was because of the Maeserk license. I'm hoping cargo, but would be happy with a passenger train.

Passenger trains I would love to see somewhen in the future:

- Shinkansen,100, 500, 700, would buy any that looks good

- TEE

- AMTRAK, something like Genesis or F40PH, would love some Superliners. Maybe too similar to Super Chief for some.

I would also love a classic american freight train. I really like the engine of 60052, but the cars lack the right atmosphere.

3 years ago the Canadian/US dollar was very different than now.  At that time $1 US was $0.90 Canadian.  In the fall of 2011 TLG had double VIP and free shipping.  I took the opportunity to take some investment money and buy some sets I thought would go up in value and return more than my 3% GICs were getting me.

I placed several orders, and used the VIP points I got to buy more investment sets.

I bought a lot of sets that have mostly all sold, but the best return for me was the 7 Emerald Night sets I bought.  After everything was accounted for, each one cost $75 Canadian.  I sold the first one for $150 locally within the first 6 months.  Each one I have sold for between $50-$70 over the previous one.  I recently sold my 5th one for $400.  I plan to sell set 6 for $475 and set 7 for $550.

If you do the math, all of the 7 sets were paid for in full by set # 3 including some profit leftover passed on to other sets.  Sets 4-7 are 100% profit.

I also bought Maersk train sets, and even though I didn't do quite so well as I did with EN (I was less patient), I still more than doubled my money.

What's my latest large quantity investment?  Horizon Express!  Stay tuned...

Locutis

Resistance is futile.

Edited by Locutis
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ph4tb0i

3 years ago the Canadian/US dollar was very different than now.  At that time $1 US was $0.90 Canadian.  In the fall of 2011 TLG had double VIP and free shipping.  I took the opportunity to take some investment money and buy some sets I thought would go up in value and return more than my 3% GICs were getting me.

I placed several orders, and used the VIP points I got to buy more investment sets.

I bought a lot of sets that have mostly all sold, but the best return for me was the 7 Emerald Night sets I bought.  After everything was accounted for, each one cost $75 Canadian.  I sold the first one for $150 locally within the first 6 months.  Each one I have sold for between $50-$70 over the previous one.  I recently sold my 5th one for $400.  I plan to sell set 6 for $475 and set 7 for $550.

If you do the math, all of the 7 sets were paid for in full by set # 3 including some profit leftover passed on to other sets.  Sets 4-7 are 100% profit.

I also bought Maersk train sets, and even though I didn't do quite so well as I did with EN (I was less patient), I still more than doubled my money.

What's my latest large quantity investment?  Horizon Express!  Stay tuned...

Locutis

Resistance is futile.

3 years ago my gf (now wife) were just starting out and were dirt poor (we now both rack in white collar salaries and I'm a technology consultant, which makes things a LOT better lol). 

I still remember her saving and buying me an Emerald Night for my birthday, and I made her return it as we could use that money for other more important things. Now she ribs me about returning it every single time I sell a train set/parts... >_>

• 8 months later...