How does eBay and Bricklink protect the sellers?

How about the ability to resolve problems on open forums after negative feedbacks are left. Other users can see which side is the responsible party by the way they handle conflicts. This also comes with the ability to change the given feedback ONE TIME after a resolution is achieved. I have to admit the above can work well with small community of sellers & buyers but it is simply impractical to moderate on high traffic sites like eBay.

How about the ability to resolve problems on open forums after negative feedbacks are left. Other users can see which side is the responsible party by the way they handle conflicts. This also comes with the ability to change the given feedback ONE TIME after a resolution is achieved.

I have to admit the above can work well with small community of sellers & buyers but it is simply impractical to moderate on high traffic sites like eBay.

Forums can be tricky and I really don't like to give people a chance to complain there. It can get very ugly and people can accuse others of all sorts of nonsense. How about giving the buyers and sellers ample space to leave a detailed review of a transaction in the feedback section? In other words, more than one line.

Forums can be tricky and I really don't like to give people a chance to complain there. It can get very ugly and people can accuse others of all sorts of nonsense. How about giving the buyers and sellers ample space to leave a detailed review of a transaction in the feedback section? In other words, more than one line.

That is not a bad idea. On eBay replying to (unjust) feedbacks is hard with only 80 characters.

On the flip side, as a buyer I like the 1 liner when looking to sellers' feedbacks. I am sure it comes with practice, but I can deduce the "quality" of sellers quickly that way. I am not interested in reading paragraphs to decide whether I can trust a seller or buyer.

Perhaps show the first 120 characters with the option to click "read more" for people who are interested in details.

That is not a bad idea. On eBay replying to (unjust) feedbacks is hard with only 80 characters.

On the flip side, as a buyer I like the 1 liner when looking to sellers' feedbacks. I am sure it comes with practice, but I can deduce the "quality" of sellers quickly that way. I am not interested in reading paragraphs to decide whether I can trust a seller or buyer.

Perhaps show the first 120 characters with the option to click "read more" for people who are interested in details.

The flipside is insane buyers or sellers who just type out garbage and name calling in all caps. Many times, they just appeal delusional and I'll side with the better written feedback. So I really wouldn't want to read an entire paragraph of LIAR!!! HE CHEATED ME!!! and so on.

It all comes down to who you want to believe. Some people are just such nuts that they cannot accept honest neg feedback when they screwed up, yet they respond in such an insane way as if their entire 100+ or 1000+ feedback is going to get wiped just from one or two bad feedbacks.

Don't get me started on the people who leave you feedback and then send a message telling you they left if and can you leave it for them. Really? There's that much of a difference between 352 and 352 feedbacks?

Long story short? Stupid people shouldn't breathe.

I've been buying and selling on Ebay in the UK for about 12 years. In that time I've received 1 neg as a buyer (fully justified) and none as a seller. From 2011 to early 2012 I had more items not received that I'd had since I started. Since then I made sure everything I sell has to be signed for - it costs 95p per item and I add this into my post and packing costs for the item. I tell my buyers its for both our protection - which it is, I can prove I posted the item and they know they will receive it. Since I started doing that I've only had 2 items go missing, for one the Post Office took 3 weeks and refunded the money to me, and I refunded the buyer. In the 2nd case I claimed from the Post Office, never heard anything from the PO after the initial acknowledgement, but I never heard anything more from the buyer either. I don't think I've lost out in terms of bids and feel much happier about not getting ripped off buy customers. Does anyone in the UK know if the Post Office will prosecute someone that says they've not received an item when they have signed for it?

I've been selling a lot on ebay (Lego and otherwise) for a few years. There's little protection for the sellers at all. It's depressing, but that's the reality.

If a buyer is unhappy, you have to bend over backwards to make sure they won't leave negative feedback. Even if the problem is no fault of your own, ebay will side with the buyer. At the end of the day, you have to weigh whether the money you'd lose on the transaction is worth the 20% discount you'd lose.

amen to that. it is terrible as a seller.