New Ebay Seller Fees - Spring 2013

Ebay just announced details on the Seller Updates for Spring 2013 - Many changes (free store listings, flat rates, etc). http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2013/overview.html?sspagename=SIC:springupdate2013:overview:dynamicemail It is always presented as a positive, & yet it always ends up costing you more. Lots of details - I am still analyzing the effect of the changes. The flat 9% (store) or 10% (no store) regardless of how high the sale is, will hurt with big $ items.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ebay just announced details on the Seller Updates for Spring 2013 - Many changes (free store listings, flat rates, etc).

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2013/overview.html?sspagename=SIC:springupdate2013:overview:dynamicemail

It is always presented as a positive, & yet it always ends up costing you more. Lots of details - I am still analyzing the effect of the changes. The flat 9% (store) or 10% (no store) regardless of how high the sale is, will hurt with big $ items.

It sure would be great if someone developed a low cost website to sell or trade your LEGO sets. Those high eBay fees really hurt the bottom line. Maybe one day...

It sure would be great if someone developed a low cost website to sell or trade your LEGO sets. Those high eBay fees really hurt the bottom line. Maybe one day...

Ed, I thought you and Jeff are working on it already, no?

They are working on something but I believe it ties in to eBay auctions. And it is top secret :)

Here is a question for you Ed, were you guys waiting for this new eBay fee structure to implement the "super secret but hinted every other day" project ?

Ed, I thought you and Jeff are working on it already, no?

Who us? Who started that rumor? I was just saying it would be nice if a extremely low commissioned LEGO marketplace was developed by some talented developer. Jeff is not that talented. ;-)

Wouldn't those flat rates demolish the incentive for the Auto Marketplace? I think they are just taking advantage, thinking they have the online auction industry cornered or something. I'm not liking the flat rates, or I'd like one rate combined for both EBay and PayPal.

Jeff is SUPER talented. ;-)

Yes, I couldn't agree more!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the topic of the fees, I just took a quick look. So yes, listings are free, but non store owners get a 10% flat commission, if you pay the store fees monthly of yearly, there will still be a 9% fee. Wow. It all adds up. Maybe there were bright spots in there that I didn't get a chance to pick up on, but it still sounds expensive.

Ebay just announced details on the Seller Updates for Spring 2013 - Many changes (free store listings, flat rates, etc).

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2013/overview.html?sspagename=SIC:springupdate2013:overview:dynamicemail

It is always presented as a positive, & yet it always ends up costing you more. Lots of details - I am still analyzing the effect of the changes. The flat 9% (store) or 10% (no store) regardless of how high the sale is, will hurt with big $ items.

My take after a quick glance of the link:

1. Simplified fee structure is easier for new sellers to understand

2. Gentle nudge to fixed price listings for sellers of $50 or less items

3. Sellers of high price items ($100+) essentially will be paying higher final value fees

Probably the best news is:

If you do get an unpaid item, you can file a case as early as two days after the item sold.

Wouldn't those flat rates demolish the incentive for the Auto Marketplace? I think they are just taking advantage, thinking they have the online auction industry cornered or something. I'm not liking the flat rates, or I'd like one rate combined for both EBay and PayPal.

Per their FAQs:

Will there be any change to Motors Vehicles or Real Estate fees?

There are no changes to Motors Vehicles or Real Estate fees at this time.

They keep creeping closer to Amazon with the selling fee increases. If Ebay isn't careful they will lose the sellers that choose them over Amazon for the lower fees. Now it is 12.9% + $0.30 (PayPal + Ebay fees) compared with 15% + $0.99 (Amazon) for low volume part-time sellers.

These are changes that have been foreshadowed for a long time. EBay desperately wants to be like Amazon. Since they are just a marketplace/middleman (can't control inventory/shipping, etc) the only way that can do that is to "assimilate/encourage" the sellers.

They are using the carrot of "lower" fees for sellers as long as sellers sign up for Stores (so eBay can get fixed monthly income) and become Top-Rated to get the 20% discount on final value fees. (1-day handling, return policy).

It appears to all depend on what categories you are selling in. For "computer" items in a store, the fees seem to be going down.

For a $200 fixed price computer item, the current final value fees are $11.00 broken down as $3.50 (for the first $50) + $7.50 (5% of the remaining $150). The new fees appear to be $8.00 (4% of total).

For a $200 fixed price "other" (i.e. LEGO) item, the current final value fees are $14.50 broken down as $5.50 (11% for the first $50) + $9.00 (6% for the remaining $150). The new fees appear to be $18.00 (9% of total).

This is on top of the obvious that eBay is blatantly biased against low-volume auction sellers who don't have a store, like any other "big" business where only your "big" vendors/sellers matter.

However, even with that, their fees (additional 3% with PayPal) appear to be lower than Amazon. Amazon final value fees for Toys are 15% and for computers are 6-15%

They keep creeping closer to Amazon with the selling fee increases. If Ebay isn't careful they will lose the sellers that choose them over Amazon for the lower fees. Now it is 12.9% + $0.30 (PayPal + Ebay fees) compared with 15% + $0.99 (Amazon) for low volume part-time sellers.

According to eBay, they still have much lower fees than Amazon:

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/sell/sellinfocntr/amazon-compare.pdf

I am not as familiar with selling on Amazon. Can Amazon sellers on this forum vet the above comparisons ?

I am not as familiar with selling on Amazon. Can Amazon sellers on this forum vet the above comparisons ?

I have sold on eBay for a long time and started selling on Amazon last year when I got fed up with eBay's (lack of) seller support. However, the grass is not always greener on the other side of the mountain.

Seller support-wise, they are essentially the same. Buyers get the benefit of the doubt is almost all cases. Negative feedback can almost never be removed without a court order (literally).

For people who complain about eBay's "not as described policy", which essentially forces ALL sellers to have a return policy whether they like it or not, Amazon has their own "A to Z" guarantee which essentially works the same way. Every seller has a 30 day return policy that is essentially controlled by the buyer. Like eBay's SNAD program, a buyer can return anything for any reason they choose, even if it is incorrect (e.***. returning opened software that they say is unopened). Your only option is to accept the return and refund them something.

Fee-wise, it all depends on what you are selling. Amazon final value/referral fees are much higher for certain categories (toys, software, etc) that eBay's but Amazon's fees include the payment processing (PayPal).

For getting your money, Amazon holds your money for 2 weeks until they transfer it to your bank account. There is no immediate withdrawal option like there is with PayPal.

Like eBay, Amazon wants you to sign up for a "Professional" account for a monthly fee. To encourage it, it is only way to offer "free" shipping on Amazon and have your items be "Featured"

One advantage of Amazon is not having to create your own auction listings, you just find the item in their catalog and add it to your seller inventory. Another is the lack of insertion fees (which eBay is copying) and you can list items as long as you want (eBay's Good 'Til Cancelled requires a store).

Another supposedly "big" advantage (that I haven't used) is their Fulfilled by Amazon where you ship your stuff to Amazon and they do the shipping to the buyers which gives you the ability to have your items be "Prime"-eligible (free 2 day) for Prime buyers who shop only with that in mind. Of course, Amazon charges a high fee for this service.

I basically sell certain items on eBay and certain items on Amazon depending on the categories/fees and return probabilities.

I have sold on eBay for a long time and started selling on Amazon last year when I got fed up with eBay's (lack of) seller support. However, the grass is not always greener on the other side of the mountain.

Seller support-wise, they are essentially the same. Buyers get the benefit of the doubt is almost all cases. Negative feedback can almost never be removed without a court order (literally).

For people who complain about eBay's "not as described policy", which essentially forces ALL sellers to have a return policy whether they like it or not, Amazon has their own "A to Z" guarantee which essentially works the same way. Every seller has a 30 day return policy that is essentially controlled by the buyer. Like eBay's SNAD program, a buyer can return anything for any reason they choose, even if it is incorrect (e.***. returning opened software that they say is unopened). Your only option is to accept the return and refund them something.

Fee-wise, it all depends on what you are selling. Amazon final value/referral fees are much higher for certain categories (toys, software, etc) that eBay's but Amazon's fees include the payment processing (PayPal).

For getting your money, Amazon holds your money for 2 weeks until they transfer it to your bank account. There is no immediate withdrawal option like there is with PayPal.

Like eBay, Amazon wants you to sign up for a "Professional" account for a monthly fee. To encourage it, it is only way to offer "free" shipping on Amazon and have your items be "Featured"

One advantage of Amazon is not having to create your own auction listings, you just find the item in their catalog and add it to your seller inventory. Another is the lack of insertion fees (which eBay is copying) and you can list items as long as you want (eBay's Good 'Til Cancelled requires a store).

Another supposedly "big" advantage (that I haven't used) is their Fulfilled by Amazon where you ship your stuff to Amazon and they do the shipping to the buyers which gives you the ability to have your items be "Prime"-eligible (free 2 day) for Prime buyers who shop only with that in mind. Of course, Amazon charges a high fee for this service.

I basically sell certain items on eBay and certain items on Amazon depending on the categories/fees and return probabilities.

This is great information... Thanks for sharing. I thought about selling on Amazon, but to be honest, I almost never buy from third party people on Amazon, because i am so accustomed to not paying shipping, so I just assume everyone else feels the same way I do, so I have stuck with ebay selling despite the fees. I guess in the grand scheme of things, 10% really isn't THAT bad when you think about the fact that you are reaching an incredibly large audience, despite all of the shortcomings that come with it.

Having said that.. If something else were to come along that would beat their fees and offer a decent audience, I would jump on it :)

But you said to me that..............

Maybe someone hacked my account! ;-0

someone hacked my account too....I've never written "But you said to me that.............."

I'm going to change the password...do the same

Sorry for the misunderstanding

:-)