Musical Picks

TheOrcKing

Hot dang!  This song was released 30 years ago.  First time I saw the music video I thought Richie Sambora was such a badass playing guitar on a mountain top.

And I love the poetic lyrics too: "I wanna be just as close as the Holy Ghost is.. and lay you down... on a bed of roses.."

Also, how the heck did they get the piano up there? :P

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KvHulk said:

Finally got around to watching Peacemaker which, to my surprise, was very entertaining.
I now have so many 80's power ballads that I haven't heard in decades stuck in my head.

I agree the show better than expected and The Intro/title dance sequence is sooo awesome:)  I looked forward to that each episode. I even told My employees that we should start doing that dance number in the morning for some calisthenics. They liked the idea but seam to be less willing to join me :)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Belac said:

I agree the show better than expected and The Intro/title dance sequence is sooo awesome:)  I looked forward to that each episode. I even told My employees that we should start doing that dance number in the morning for some calisthenics. They liked the idea but seam to be less willing to join me :)

Maybe you need to record yourself dancing on TikTok and make a challenge out of it.  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Belac said:

Might be the only show in the modern streaming age where I didn't skip the intro once.

• Like 1

The Peacemaker intro is delightfully silly and perfect for the material. The dance moves are easy enough. Challenge being trying to remember the right sequence to perform them all in. Ha.

I learned how to dance from the Bust a Groove games ....back in the very late 90s. Really developed (or discovered the power that is) my hips and thanks to all the exercise I have been doing as of late turns out I still got 'em. I can even do the "Ankha dance" proper. Haha.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

The Peacemaker intro is delightfully silly and perfect for the material. The dance moves are easy enough. Challenge being trying to remember the right sequence to perform them all in. Ha.

I learned how to dance from the Bust a Groove games ....back in the very late 90s. Really developed (or discovered the power that is) my hips and thanks to all the exercise I have been doing as of late turns out I still got 'em. I can even do the "Ankha dance" proper. Haha.

Bust a Groove was such underrated game.  It was much more than a DDR clone.  Each character had their own unique moves and playstyles.   Also the game had attacking and defensive moves.  IIRC you have to use them to complete the 1P mode.  But it was your choice to play with or without those moves in 2 players mode. ;)

And of course, this sleezy guy was my main character :D

3 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Bust a Groove was such underrated game.  It was much more than a DDR clone.  Each character had their own unique moves and playstyles.   Also the game had attacking and defensive moves.  IIRC you have to use them to complete the 1P mode.  But it was your choice to play with or without those moves in 2 players mode.

I believe the ratings were really good from reviews across the board. Perhaps a bit of a hidden gem with most of the focus still on Parappa the Rapper a year earlier in 1997 or some of the many releases around 1998. (I just did a quick search to see what all was released and my goodness '98 was filled with titles ranging from Resident Evil 2 to Medievil to Xenogears. Hot dang.)

The eclectic cast of characters along with their respective tracks & backgrounds were spilling over in personality. Were I to pick only one (character & tune together) as a favorite, it would probably be Strike followed by Heat. I loved Frida's design and adored Kitty-N's theme. Hamm was so absolutely absurd, I couldn't help but have fun. Ha.

It is possible to beat single player using only the dodge to evade the opponent's special without attacking back. I've done it. A couple of the AI though could get spam heavy like Heat and the final boss Robo-Z or would attack just right before a 'dance solo' section was coming up making you unable to do anything until the dance off resumed as normal if you got hit. Strike was real nasty at that. He also had a tendency to perform his character specific 'secret moves' in the solo section for crazy high points. I think the sequel introduced a way to reverse or reflect the opponent's special back at them but some reason I never really got the timing perfected so I kept to dodging instead.

Speaking of which, the second title in the series was mostly good yet did not stick to landing as strong as the first one in my opinion. Now it was not bad at all. I still had great fun. Just between the two, the original felt better blended altogether whereas the sequel was well done. Strike continued to be my favorite (character & tune both) with Heat second and Kelly's track was freakin' dope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheOrcKing said:

It is possible to beat single player using only the dodge to evade the opponent's special without attacking back. I've done it. A couple of the AI though could get spam heavy like Heat and the final boss Robo-Z or would attack just right before a 'dance solo' section was coming up making you unable to do anything until the dance off resumed as normal if you got hit. Strike was real nasty at that. He also had a tendency to perform his character specific 'secret moves' in the solo section for crazy high points. I think the sequel introduced a way to reverse or reflect the opponent's special back at them but some reason I never really got the timing perfected so I kept to dodging instead.

Hmm, I think you are right about doing 1P without specials.  IIRC some characters had weak special moves and I never bothered to learn them. I think Kitty was one of those characters and I still finished her 1P mode.  IIRC Hiro's secret move(s?) involved doing unusual things like purposely missing a regular move, one of the reasons why he was my main.

I remember the 2nd game but I do not think I played it as much as original game.

At one time I remember digging deep into the game finding different ways to maximize points before even halfway through a gig like intentionally missing a step around the start to get early access to the more complex commands or attacking the AI right before the solo. Now I barely have a clue. Haha. I suppose it could be like riding a bike ....or getting hit by a boomerang. Start playing and it all comes back.

20 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

IIRC Hiro's secret move(s?) involved doing unusual things like purposely missing a regular move, one of the reasons why he was my main.

I can dig it.
....Random thought, I wonder how Vegeta would look like in a polyester suit.

20 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I remember the 2nd game but I do not think I played it as much as original game.

Ditto.

Looking back, I enjoyed the soundtrack with maybe the exception of Shorty's new theme (perhaps a case where the Japanese original fit better than the English version) and character wise Tsutomu felt like the odd one out of the bunch yet his track was bangin' (could have fit for Shorty when I think about it). Backgrounds were stellar and the bosses really challenging this time around. Between Pander's tune & movements being so bizarre it kept throwing my pacing off and Robo-Z Gold's stage & track were so badass I was actually grooving in real life. Ha.

I guess it was a weird case of there was just that little something missing compared to the first go around. One part I may genuinely enjoyed better in the second than the first was Capoeira's new theme (Allegretto Break). The character select theme was jamming too.