Masters of the Universe - Netflix - 2021

exciter1

On 10/28/2021 at 9:32 AM, MotorCityMuscle said:

@TheOrcKing what are your thoughts on the Kevin Smith series?

Honestly I think it was good. I grew up on most of the original series, watched the 2002 reboot during my high school years, then years later bought the whole thing including The New Adventures of He-Man from 1990 I never knew existed. For the most part, Revelation feels closer inspired by the 2002 reboot than the original by Filmation. And that is a good thing.

While I do have nostalgia for the classic He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, I know well enough of its flaws especially after re-watching a good while back. There is only so many times a story can be "Skeletor does a thing, He-Man comes in does his thing, ....profit!". Some of the most memorable episodes were the ones not involving He-Man such as the one where we learn how Man-at-Arms found Teela as an infant and that she is the Sorceress' daughter or that Adam's mother was originally an astronaut from Earth. Unfortunately Filmation did not expand further on those points leaving us with more questions.

Moving along back to Revelation, I actually enjoy seeing the other characters (especially Teela) trying to handle the evils of Eternia without "the most powerful man in the universe". Also Orko not being the comedic relief and instead showing no fear in the face of death was a powerful moment.

Overall I enjoyed what I watched so far in spite of the changes from the original source material. Yeah it stunk for He-Man to sacrifice himself in the very first episode. However in a twisted way that kind of was the only real way to get any of the other characters to shine within the story showing what they could do without the almighty He-Man to pull 'em from the fire to fall back on.

This upcoming part 2 of the series appears to be bringing up Teela's heritage so that'll be nice. Looking forward to it.

On 10/28/2021 at 9:32 AM, MotorCityMuscle said:

and did you watch the other animated series that came out as well?

I have not taken a look into the other He-Man series Netflix has going on. Myself does not have Netflix but a couple of friends from work do so we sometimes marathon movie night watch stuff like this. Been awkward to do so lately because of, well, COVID. But we're finding ways to make it work for everybody.

• Like 1