Jump to content

Masters of the Universe - Netflix - 2021


Recommended Posts

I was into MOTU as a kid and still have most of my figures and Grayskull. As an adult it doesn’t do it for me. I was even planning on selling the old toys since my kids have shown little interest. With that said it doesn’t surprise me that they botched up the new show. Everything new must tear down the old nowadays. 🤦🖕

Edited by Mathew
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many more reviews and down significantly. Kevin Smith is mocking viewers by saying they are being review bombed. My friends say it’s terrible. Hollywood is too caught up in agendas and massaging each other’s egos. The critics are part of the system. They don’t care what the fans want. I’ve never been a fan, it came a couple years after I was getting out of cartoons.

image.png
image.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kevin Smith has always been overrated.  The movies he made in the 90's (Clerks, Mallrats etc.) were nothing special.  He hasn't been relevant for years.  The idiot has been defending every piece of trash Hollywood has released since the woke era began (and he lost all that weight).  My guess is that the execs picked him to produce MOTU due to both his connection and willingness to play attack dog on the "white male" geek fanbase.  I think most of that base turned on Smith years ago.  And you're right, the critics are part of the corrupted system. I wish it was easy enough to say "speak with your pocket book" but since almost everyone has a Netflix subscription nowadays it makes it hard to.

Edited by Mathew
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He-Man was a bit after my childhood.  So other than being vaguely familiar with characters and places and having randomly seen some of the cartoons, I never got into it.

https://www.cbr.com/masters-universe-revelation-kevin-smith-inteview/

I saw a video clip of Kevin Smith excitedly bragging how "he" killed off He-Man... twice.  How do you launch a TV series called "He-Man" and then kill off "He-Man"?  I can't for the life of me figure out why fans would be pissed off. *facepalm*  wow....  just wow.

One comment from the above article - Smith compares the He-Man show they did to DC's comic the Death of Superman.  We discussed in another place how that all but killed the comics industry for DC.  Apparently Smith and the people at Netflix never got that memo.

Kevin Smith owes Clownfish TV a BIG apology (he will never do it) for trashing them when they were 100% right about the rumor re: Teela being the focus.

 

On a side note, this will only give rise to more rumor mill stuff being leaked as more producers do this to other much beloved characters.

Edited by exracer327
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, exracer327 said:

He-Man was a bit after my childhood.  So other than being vaguely familiar with characters and places and having randomly seen some of the cartoons, I never got into it.

https://www.cbr.com/masters-universe-revelation-kevin-smith-inteview/

I saw a video clip of Kevin Smith excitedly bragging how "he" killed off He-Man... twice.  How do you launch a TV series called "He-Man" and then kill off "He-Man"?  I can't for the life of me figure out why fans would be pissed off. *facepalm*  wow....  just wow.

One comment from the above article - Smith compares the He-Man show they did to DC's comic the Death of Superman.  We discussed in another place how that all but killed the comics industry for DC.  Apparently Smith and the people at Netflix never got that memo.

Kevin Smith owes Clownfish TV a BIG apology (he will never do it) for trashing them when they were 100% right about the rumor re: Teela being the focus.

 

On a side note, this will only give rise to more rumor mill stuff being leaked as more producers do this to other much beloved characters.

yeah...I hated that they killed off all the main characters within the first 15 minutes of Transformers the movie..

I was naïve back then, but in hindsight, clearly to sell all the new lines of toys

(hated Rodimus and the gang because of it...but now decades later, much like the Star Wars Pre-quels...that line of transformer characters have grown on me)

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All the 80’s cartoons were built around selling toys. As an adult I’m not going back and rewatching the cartoons. I don’t care about He-Man as a character or Teela or She-Ra. I recently started collecting Transformers again (along with the early 80’s Japanese brand die cast robots I loved as a kid). But I’m not going back and watching the cartoons. I just like the toys. If they reboot Transformers as a show I wouldn’t watch it. They probably make Grimlock Lbqt. He’s just a cute, dumb robot dinosaur. I don’t want him to be anything more than that. 
 

 

29730723-53E2-4FE9-8459-3B394EC759F3.jpeg

Edited by Mathew
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Mathew said:

All the 80’s cartoons were built around selling toys. As an adult I’m not going back and rewatching the cartoons. I don’t care about He-Man as a character or Teela or She-Ra. I recently started collecting Transformers again (along with the early 80’s Japanese brand die cast robots I loved as a kid). But I’m not going back and watching the cartoons. I just like the toys. If they reboot Transformers as a show I wouldn’t watch it. They probably make Grimlock Lbqt. He’s just a cute, dumb robot dinosaur. I don’t want him to be anything more than that. 
 

 

29730723-53E2-4FE9-8459-3B394EC759F3.jpeg

We have had a similar conversation with our daughter. It seems one of the main differences in Gen-X folks (like my wife and me) vs. Millinials (like our daughter) is that Gen-X is/was all about casting off labels (“Don’t label me!”), whereas Millinials seem to want to label everything, perhaps in an effort to figure out where they fit in in the world. Gen-X kids didn’t want to fit in. We wanted to be our own thing, unique to ourselves, at least that’s the stereotype. What actually happened a lot of the time was that we were “totally unique”… just like everyone else we liked to hang out with. 😂 It’s a fundamentally different way of thinking and a source of lots of misunderstanding on both sides of the generation line. People are funny.

For what it’s worth, I’m completely with you on the whole “let’s just let toys and cartoons be toys and cartoons, not some political statement” thing. Not everything has to have some esoteric meaning. Some things should just be fun. Save the preaching and teaching for church and school. At least that’s how I feel about it. I am not necessarily “right” and folks who disagree are not necessarily “wrong”. (There is zero hate or intolerance in this post. I’m a musician and have lived in an extremely diverse world for most of my life. I just try to be myself and let others be themselves. Not that anybody asked.)

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There have been efforts to destroy old TV & movie franchise by rebooting and remaking them with absolutely abysmally written new versions.  They did it with Star Trek with Discovery and Picard, Star Wars with ep 8, Dr Who with the latest doctor, Thundercats with Thundercats Go, etc, etc.  They took the established fandoms down with these moves.  Unfortunately, He-Man is just the latest casualty.

The part that I do not understand is how Mattel let this happen with MotU.  How did they not learn from Hasbro and rows upon rows of discounted Rose Tico figures everywhere?  As I pointed out several months ago, Mattel obviously put A LOT of money behind the MotU Origins action figures line.  The line includes the Castle and just about every character that was in the 80s show.  How is this show going to help sell the Origins line and also Revelations line?  Who are the target audience for this show?  How did they expect old fans to stick around after they killed off beloved characters? How was this a show for new younger audience with so many deaths in it ? :dontknow:
(Side note: if you watch how smug Kevin Smith was when bragging about killing a joke of character, one could not help but wonder if he ever sit down and watched the original show.)

The biggest losers are fans of Teela from the 80s TV series.  Based on various reviews, she is now written as narcistic & selfish character, unlike in the old show.  But hey, if Mattel think this drastic change will sell more toys, what does this 3PS in his basement know about retail anyway? :P :P :P

Oh, btw, it looks like MCU is next.  You could see the writings were on the wall when a supposedly hero character tortured and imprisoned a town full of people for weeks and the writers could not bother to write any repercussion for her, not even remorse.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Playing devil's advocate, the series is titled "Masters of the Universe" not "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe". To me this implies the series will be revolving around more than simply Prince Adam and his almighty alter ego. Both of which do appear in each episode thus far to a degree from what I can gather despite He-Man dying towards the end of the first, went to a sort of Elysian Fields, then returned for Skeletor to stab Prince Adam in the back claiming the Sword of Power. Chances are Adam isn't dead but still hurting like the dickens.

We have seen enough cartoons and comic books to know how many different (and convoluted) ways they can bring back a character if need be. Seeing how it was mentioned, DC killing off the iconic Superman brought in sales while his inevitably resurrection weakened them. Part publicity stunt perhaps as some critics would say and indeed reviving a hero can make their sacrifice less impactful voiding its significance. And while Superman is "too big" of character to truly be killed off, there needed to be something in this universe to potentially destroy the omnipotent being from another world outside of a radioactive rock. A problem therein with writing a character being quintessentially immortal. Then again Clark Kent's true weakness has always been his heart and morals. A different conversation for another time.

 

On 7/24/2021 at 5:02 PM, $20 on joe vs dan said:

yeah...I hated that they killed off all the main characters within the first 15 minutes of Transformers the movie..

I was naïve back then, but in hindsight, clearly to sell all the new lines of toys

(hated Rodimus and the gang because of it...but now decades later, much like the Star Wars Pre-quels...that line of transformer characters have grown on me)

Having various main characters on both sides dying within the first half hour of the film tells the audience precisely what the stakes are. This isn't the typical Saturday morning cartoon where a billion bullets were fired and at worst somebody got a really big booboo (or gets in a coma waking up later with amnesia). Here the stage is set where anyone we know can actually perish.

The incredible intro with Unicron devouring a cybertronic planet should have sufficed. However it was a nameless world home to a bunch of randoms nobody knew existed up until that moment therefore potentially very few viewers would have actually cared or thought differently about how the rest of the film was going to pan out for our protagonists and antagonists both.

I bear no shame in admitting I cried when Optimus Prime passed away on the operating table as he tried to hand off the Matrix of Leadership over to Ultra Magnus with Hot Rod catching it instead. While I was glad to see him still alive in the long running animated television series around the time, his death in the film made all that he had accomplished up to that climatic final fight with Megatron all the more significant and memorable.

Without death, life loses its meaning.

 

4 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Remember the old Sailor Moon show/anime??

Yep. I made the same comparison in our primary movie thread how Sailor Moon-esque his transformation sequence is now.

 

4 hours ago, Chormeister said:

I’ll just leave this here and quietly back away…

A He-Man conversation would not be complete without a little "hey yaa yaa yaa" to top it off. Haha.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

Playing devil's advocate, the series is titled "Masters of the Universe" not "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe". To me this implies the series will be revolving around more than simply Prince Adam and his almighty alter ego. Both of which do appear in each episode thus far to a degree from what I can gather despite He-Man dying towards the end of the first, went to a sort of Elysian Fields, then returned for Skeletor to stab Prince Adam in the back claiming the Sword of Power. Chances are Adam isn't dead but still hurting like the dickens.

Fair point.  Perhaps it is a high stake publicity stunt  that Mattel is playing.  I am not sure Kevin Smith would be the best choice to be the public face for that game :D

I am more of an outsider observing the impact of this show on the MotU toy sales.  Strictly business, baby!  I have been burned by how Star Trek has been handled this past 4 years, it is hard to be excited for anything Holyweird produces anymore. :devil:

 

5 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

Yep. I made the same comparison in our primary movie thread how Sailor Moon-esque his transformation sequence is now.

Down to He-Man's loin cloth swaying like Sailor Moon's skirt 🤪:suicide:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kevin Smith along with a few others (namely execs and producers •see Star Wars sequels) need to take Screenwriting 101. If you’re going to kill off the hero in the first episode then there better be a damn good reason.  Characters need to earn our respect if we are to be sympathetic and thus entertained. Based on what I’m hearing, the new hero, Teela isn’t exactly sympathetic.  Instead of being passive aggressive towards the fans Kevin Smith should instead be working on how to tell a good story. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

 

The part that I do not understand is how Mattel let this happen with MotU.

Once you understand that its not about making money, or even good story telling, it will all make sense. Their simple goal is to destroy the past. 

The modern Star Wars trilogy proved this fact without a doubt. It was never about monetary profit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, dennugsmello said:

Once you understand that its not about making money, or even good story telling, it will all make sense. Their simple goal is to destroy the past. 

The modern Star Wars trilogy proved this fact without a doubt. It was never about monetary profit. 

As crazy as that sounds there is truth in that.  There’s definitely an agenda to take down the white, heterosexual male. Especially when it comes to the hero archetype. I have an idea of what the long term goals are but it ventures into hard conspiracy talk 🤪

Edited by Mathew
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once you understand that its not about making money, or even good story telling, it will all make sense. Their simple goal is to destroy the past. 
The modern Star Wars trilogy proved this fact without a doubt. It was never about monetary profit. 

Dumbest thing I think I’ve ever heard. Well, not actually, but you win for today. The very literal and explicit goals of all businesses involved are to make money. Any other activity is merely in an effort to make even more money. And if the Star Wars trilogy taught them anything, it is they made a lot less money by making a bad product that many of their fans didn’t like. If you disagree, let’s look at Mando and bringing back the past vs eps 8 and 9. Which ones are beloved by all? Which ones sell more toys? Hmmm


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The majority of recent content at least on Netflix seems to be aimed at women and the LGBTQ communities.  There's not a lot of new content on there that interests me as a 46 year old, white, hetero male...except Cobra Kai...but that started out as a YT show so not even a Netflix original.  It's kind of surprising that they are continuing in this direction with MotU.  MotU could bring in more male viewers of all demographics even if they tied in some modern themes and made it more mature.  Instead they're continuing to aim their content at the previously mentioned demos by (repeatedly) killing off He-Man and making Teela a lesbian.  It's almost like they want to create a stereotype of the communities with the content they're creating...kind of like blaxpoitation films of the 70's.  

Edited by Mathew
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Mathew said:

The majority of recent content at least on Netflix seems to be aimed at women and the LGBTQ communities. 

Master of None (not of the universe) is a perfect example of this. It got Me Too’ed, canceled, but came back. It went from one of the best shows on Netflix to unwatchable. When I look at the Top 10 I can tell I am no longer Netflix’s target audience and I have been with them since you could get 2 DVDs a week in the mail. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sfcommando14 said:


Dumbest thing I think I’ve ever heard. Well, not actually, but you win for today. 


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe if you followed the conversation you'd understand his point better.  Basically we're wondering why Mattel, a toy company, would sign off on a show that purposely alienates a key demographic--males who grew up with the show and had all the toys...but who now have the extra disposable income that comes with adulthood and maybe just want to collect newly released He-Man toys.  I don't know, just seems like an odd business decision.  But Hasbro also purposely released a Troll doll that squeals with joy when you touch her privates...maybe something truly perverse is going on in Toyland.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, dennugsmello said:

Once you understand that its not about making money, or even good story telling, it will all make sense. Their simple goal is to destroy the past. 

The modern Star Wars trilogy proved this fact without a doubt. It was never about monetary profit. 

At the end of the day they still want to make money, otherwise Disney would still go on with ep10 to infinity instead of stopping at 9.

6 hours ago, Mathew said:

As crazy as that sounds there is truth in that.  There’s definitely an agenda to take down the white, heterosexual male. Especially when it comes to the hero archetype. I have an idea of what the long term goals are but it ventures into hard conspiracy talk 🤪

Maybe the fallacy of my thoughts lies on the use of logic to follow this whole thing, but I digress ;););)

1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

Master of None (not of the universe) is a perfect example of this. It got Me Too’ed, canceled, but came back. It went from one of the best shows on Netflix to unwatchable. When I look at the Top 10 I can tell I am no longer Netflix’s target audience and I have been with them since you could get 2 DVDs a week in the mail. 

This was why I stopped watching TV regularly about 2 years ago.  Just 4-5 years ago I watched 7-8 shows a week but the numbers gradually decreased.  The majority of new shows were not written for me or they were just simply badly written.  Even the ones that started as promising shows faltered to blithering mess like GoT & Westworld.  I could not justify paying for something that did not (or would not?) cater to me.

3 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

you just always set me up to easily...

Now now don't be like that.  I worked with someone who started subscribing to Netflix when it was just a rental place.  She retired several years ago... 

Oh wait... :D :D :D

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...