Masters of the Universe - Netflix - 2021

exciter1

16 hours ago, Sfcommando14 said:

Dumbest thing I think I’ve ever heard. Well, not actually, but you win for today. The very literal and explicit goals of all businesses involved are to make money. Any other activity is merely in an effort to make even more money. And if the Star Wars trilogy taught them anything, it is they made a lot less money by making a bad product that many of their fans didn’t like. If you disagree, let’s look at Mando and bringing back the past vs eps 8 and 9. Which ones are beloved by all? Which ones sell more toys? Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just because you think its dumb does not make my theory any less plausible. Sometimes its about the message a movie sends that matters, not how much profit it makes. To me, the examples are endless. The modern Star Wars trilogy is a great piece of evidence showcasing how the message a movie sends is more important than it being a great story.

Just a personal anecdote. I'm a amateur writer/story teller whose written numerous movie scripts(Not very good ones!). During my time in this hobby I've read hundreds scripts from other independent writers. So many amazing stories with incredible plots and characters. Unique, exciting and original movies that people would love to see. But you know what happens when you submit them? Three things. They are ignored all together because you are not part of the walled garden. If you are not in the family your script is ignored, no matter how good it is. Or, if the script is really good, its purchased and intentionally(opinion) never used. Lastly, its purchased and changed so far beyond the original story its no longer resembles itself. 

If Hollywood's goal was just about making money they would open their doors to the best stories, no matter the content or writers background. But that is not the case. When you see how many horrible movies get produced and you've personally read so many that get passed on you tend to get a bit cynical.

Just watched revelations... it was fine. It was better than fine. It was good. Not sure what everyone is spazzing out about. It's not as if the motu lore was anything special. It was a cartoon made to sell toys. The toys were cool, the show was laughable.

Somehow they took orko orko binks and made him... likeable? Or less hateable? That alone is amazing.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:36 AM, TheOrcKing said:

Playing devil's advocate, the series is titled "Masters of the Universe" not "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe". To me this implies the series will be revolving around more than simply Prince Adam and his almighty alter ego. Both of which do appear in each episode thus far to a degree from what I can gather despite He-Man dying towards the end of the first, went to a sort of Elysian Fields, then returned for Skeletor to stab Prince Adam in the back claiming the Sword of Power. Chances are Adam isn't dead but still hurting like the dickens.

We have seen enough cartoons and comic books to know how many different (and convoluted) ways they can bring back a character if need be. Seeing how it was mentioned, DC killing off the iconic Superman brought in sales while his inevitably resurrection weakened them. Part publicity stunt perhaps as some critics would say and indeed reviving a hero can make their sacrifice less impactful voiding its significance. And while Superman is "too big" of character to truly be killed off, there needed to be something in this universe to potentially destroy the omnipotent being from another world outside of a radioactive rock. A problem therein with writing a character being quintessentially immortal. Then again Clark Kent's true weakness has always been his heart and morals. A different conversation for another time.

Having various main characters on both sides dying within the first half hour of the film tells the audience precisely what the stakes are. This isn't the typical Saturday morning cartoon where a billion bullets were fired and at worst somebody got a really big booboo (or gets in a coma waking up later with amnesia). Here the stage is set where anyone we know can actually perish.

The incredible intro with Unicron devouring a cybertronic planet should have sufficed. However it was a nameless world home to a bunch of randoms nobody knew existed up until that moment therefore potentially very few viewers would have actually cared or thought differently about how the rest of the film was going to pan out for our protagonists and antagonists both.

I bear no shame in admitting I cried when Optimus Prime passed away on the operating table as he tried to hand off the Matrix of Leadership over to Ultra Magnus with Hot Rod catching it instead. While I was glad to see him still alive in the long running animated television series around the time, his death in the film made all that he had accomplished up to that climatic final fight with Megatron all the more significant and memorable.

Without death, life loses its meaning.

Yep. I made the same comparison in our primary movie thread how Sailor Moon-esque his transformation sequence is now.

A He-Man conversation would not be complete without a little "hey yaa yaa yaa" to top it off. Haha.

The masters of the universe thing might have flied if Smith didn't say it was still centering on He-Man not Teela.  He denied that Teela wasn't the main character.  

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 11:11 AM, dennugsmello said:

Sometimes its about the message a movie sends that matters, not how much profit it makes. To me, the examples are endless. The modern Star Wars trilogy is a great piece of evidence showcasing how the message a movie sends is more important than it being a great story.

Yes, "the message it sends" is always the deciding factor my wife and I use to determine which movie we're going to see.

re: New SW trilogy, I did get the message.  Every single man in the story was a looser, comedic relief, bombastic, stubborn headed, needlessly kills and gets others killed.  They needed to be hit over the head with a baseball bat in order to learn the simplest of lessons.  Although Finn started with a lot of potential, Rian Johnson literally turned him into a coward.  

Tell me, which male character in the Disney SW trilogy would you point your son or daughter to and say, "that person is admirable"?  So much potential completely wasted with every male character. 

The story telling was horrible.  Military tactics used were moronic!  Just too many problems...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Right.  Han Solo gets kissed by Leia at the end of Return of the Jedi. In Rise of Skywalker we get two no name lesbians kissing. Our “hero” Poe gets shot down by Keri Russell. JJ completely effed up by not at least removing her helmet revealing Keri’s beautiful face to do so.  I don’t really count Ben and Reys kiss as romantic. JJ Abrams even said it was more of a cordial embrace than romantic. 

Edited by Mathew

36 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

Yes, "the message it sends" is always the deciding factor my wife and I use to determine which movie we're going to see.

re: New SW trilogy, I did get the message.  Every single man in the story was a looser, comedic relief, bombastic, stubborn headed, needlessly kills and gets others killed.  They needed to be hit over the head with a baseball bat in order to learn the simplest of lessons.  Although Finn started with a lot of potential, Rian Johnson literally turned him into a coward.  

Tell me, which male character in the Disney SW trilogy would you point your son or daughter to and say, "that person is admirable"?  So much potential completely wasted with every male character. 

The story telling was horrible.  Military tactics used were moronic!  Just too many problems...

IDK...I watch Star Wars because I want to see "cool Sci-Fi stuff", I have grown deaf to messaging from shows...and I hope to instill that deafness to my kid

Same for sports...looking for a role model in pro sports is like looking for a wife at a strip club.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

IDK...I watch Star Wars because I want to see "cool Sci-Fi stuff"

Dude, you have to check out this epic movie man... There was prank call in space.. epic!!  Marry Poppin showed up too man...  in space...  A dude got tasered like a cow... So many dudes yelling like mad cows..  Wow, is that a chicken with no head shooting everyone??? awesome dude!!

Up In Smoke

@dennugsmello  How is that for a movie script ?? ;)

Call me crazy but all a movie, show, whatever has to do is entertain me. I'm not here to read my ethos into everything. If something is sooooo against what I believe that it offends me then I simply turn it off and move on with my life because I possess that super power.

Edited by KvHulk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KvHulk said:

Call me crazy but all a movie, show, whatever has to do is entertain me. I'm not here to read my ethos into everything. If something is sooooo against what I believe that it offends me then I simply turn it off and move on with my life because I possess that super power.

You're crazy

It's is clearly everyone's personal responsibility...NAY, absolute DUTY to be offended by even the most trifle or trivial "message", even if it's a mere suggestion or hypothetical interpretation and to STOP EVERYTHING to express said outrage through every means possible

Even considering doing anything less makes you an asleep less than human ignoramous 

3 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

You're crazy

It's is clearly everyone's personal responsibility...NAY, absolute DUTY to be offended by even the most trifle or trivial "message", even if it's a mere suggestion or hypothetical interpretation and to STOP EVERYTHING to express said outrage through every means possible

Even considering doing anything less makes you an asleep less than human ignoramous 

That is too much work man, just consume, don't question :drag:

On 7/27/2021 at 9:52 PM, stackables said:

The masters of the universe thing might have flied if Smith didn't say it was still centering on He-Man not Teela.  He denied that Teela wasn't the main character.  

Fair enough. They could have just easily said the stories will be revolving around other characters aside from He-Man and leave it at that instead of how it was handled. Wanting to keep certain aspects as a surprise is fine and one can do so with being vague rather than misdirection or denial.

18 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Dude, you have to check out this epic movie man... There was prank call in space.. epic!!  Marry Poppin showed up too man...  in space...  A dude got tasered like a cow... So many dudes yelling like mad cows..  Wow, is that a chicken with no head shooting everyone??? awesome dude!!

God how I miss stupid s**t like Cheech & Chong or South Park (may still be ongoing but just barely).

14 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I believe there are enough YouTubers and blog sites with clickbait thumbnails featuring titles covering "cancel culture", being "woke", "Twitter puritans" (whatever that means), and just about everything else apparently wrong with anything anymore that the rest of humanity can take a somewhat oblivious (and possibly inebriated) rest and actually enjoy life in spite of its flaws even if for but a few moments at a time.

With that said, I apologize in using your humorous reply as an excuse to get a little something off my chest. The soapbox is available again. Carry on ladies and gentlemen.

I see a parallel between Disney SW and MOTU / He-Man.

The purpose of entertainment is for us to find an escape from reality.  When something happens in the story which causes us to lose immersion in the story, then it is poor story telling.  (Example: In one of the X-Wing novels, Lando Calarisian introduces Wedge Antilles to an exotic drink called... "Hot Chocolate."  I kid you not!  Another example: the all women of the MCU scene in Endgame - even in the movie theater my wife and I looked at each other instead of the movie because it was so blatantly obvious the MCU was getting their "women of the MCU" still shot.) 

A big part of story telling is meeting or exceeding certain expectations, especially with beloved characters.  This is why Luke's appearance in the Mandalorian was such a hit.  It was Vader at the end of Rogue One but turned up to an 8.  (9 would have been against that many live opponents, 10 would have been against a Sith).

If Disney had killed Luke in SW VII, the fan base would have lost it right off the bat.  Even JJ has admitted in interviews there was no way to introduce Luke in SW VII without him taking over the focus of the movie.  Instead, JJ gave everyone hope by introducing him at the very end of SW VII.  JJ effectively punted Luke to Rian.

Sadly Rian Johnson didn't simply kill Luke, that would have been merciful.  Instead, he destroyed Luke's character (not to mention Luke milking that stupid see cow is now a meme that will live forever - thx Rian) and then he "killed" Luke.  That is when a lot of fans kind of lost it.  That is the parallel I see to MOTU and He-Man.

Rather than letting He-Man dominate on screen or instead send He-Man on a quest off-screen, Kevin Smith opted to kill him.  I have yet to hear a valid explanation of why He-Man "had to die" as opposed to "not be present" in order to accomplish the same storyline.  Smith trashed the expectations of the fan base by sacrificing He-Man.  How he cannot see the impact that had on the fanbase I think is the ultimate tell that he was never a fan of MOTU.  I know he said he was but I have seen an interview he did many years ago in which he stated he had never been a fan of MOTU.

Sadly, there are interviews with several primary leaders in Lucasfilm stating that they had never been fans of Star Wars either.  *sigh*

Here is a novel idea - why not create NEW stories with NEW characters.  Manga seems to be doing a great job.  That's all my kids read at this point.  My daughter is even writing her own fan fiction and creating dozens of NEW characters for her stories.  If a 15 yr old can do it, surely some grown ups making the big bucks can too.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

Here is a novel idea - why not create NEW stories with NEW characters. 

This was kind of my point in my replies. There are plenty of new stories and new characters. But Hollywood is walled off to outsiders. Only their agenda gets pushed. 

My hope is that foreign countries keep expanding into the entertainment industry and bring us an alternative to Hollywood for entertainment. I'm frankly sick of them at this point. l 

Off the main topic, but does anyone find it comical that Hollywood constantly virtue signals the anti-gun narrative, but in their movies every problem is solved at the barrel of a gun? Food for thought...

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, dennugsmello said:

but does anyone find it comical that Hollywood constantly virtue signals the anti-gun narrative, but in their movies every problem is solved at the barrel of a gun? Food for thought...

story telling is not real life..failure to properly acknowledge that is the core to why there's so much BS in the news

would you rather there be no guns or violence in all movies and shows because apparently people don't know the difference?

I get that your point is the "messaging" intended or not...but really; what is the alternative...rate G for everyone with no other options?

1 hour ago, dennugsmello said:

My hope is that foreign countries keep expanding into the entertainment industry and bring us an alternative to Hollywood for entertainment. I'm frankly sick of them at this point. l 

Why depend on foreign talents?  Where is the American ingenuity that I kept hearing on the History Channel ?  Why do creatives insist on joining old and corrupt machine like Hollywood? The barrier of entry has never been so low with the invention of Social Media like Youtube and Tik Tok.  There are so many excellent fan made shorts on Youtube (I even linked some of them in the TV Clicks thread).  Honestly people with talents in entertainment should get together and make their own stuffs.  Granted it requires hard work to market stuffs and to get new fans, but since when hard work stops anyone from achieving their dreams? (nevermind, don't answer that :P)

1 hour ago, dennugsmello said:

Off the main topic, but does anyone find it comical that Hollywood constantly virtue signals the anti-gun narrative, but in their movies every problem is solved at the barrel of a gun? Food for thought...

Because creativity is dead in Hollywood.  They are basically rehashing decade old stories by changing a few details

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There is not enough drama in the other thread, so I thought I bring this one back :devil:

Here is a trailer for the other He-Man show on Netflix.  It actually has He-Man on the title even though it looks widely different than the previous versions of He-Man.  It is a complete reboot so I am not expecting 1 to 1 replica. It may even have potentials as long as the writing is good. 

Some Youtube channels already made fun of this trailer, but I am more interested in knowing if this show can bring a lot new fans to the franchise.  Mattel still need to sell those toys and they need some new fans since a lot of the old ones were turned off by the other show (Masters of the Universe).

"On September 16th, an all-new CGI Animated Series is coming to Netflix, which will reintroduce the Masters of the Universe to a new generation of fans. The new show, titled He-Man and the Maters of the Universe, will be a completely new take on the iconic series. Along with a new MOTU show, comes new toys from Mattel. While current toy lines from Mattel target the collectors who grew up with the franchise, the new series and toys are geared for a younger audience. The items you will find in this article are geared toward audiences aged 4+." <--Toyark news article

10 minutes ago, KvHulk said:

The items you will find in this article are geared toward audiences aged 4+." <--Toyark news article

Yeah, but collectors are collecting no matter the suggested age.  Example: Star Wars 3.75" figures are for age 4+ too but it never stops collectors from buying them.  I would like to know if the other show help or hinder the sale of toys related to this new He-Man show.

7 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Here is a trailer for the other He-Man show on Netflix.  It actually has He-Man on the title even though it looks widely different than the previous versions of He-Man.  It is a complete reboot so I am not expecting 1 to 1 replica. It may even have potentials as long as the writing is good.

This trailer and concept thrown out there took me by surprise. I mean, Netfilx is already doing a series that is part reboot but mostly a continuation of the original cartoon with some inspirations from the 2002 reboot maybe. And then now this one that looks like the Star Wars Clone Wars animated series with a Shazam setup. If fans got weird about the other, they are not going to like this one either. Then again this is being made with a completely new generation in mind. Bring on the merchandising!

• 2 months later...
On 10/28/2021 at 8:32 AM, MotorCityMuscle said:

what are your thoughts on the Kevin Smith series? and did you watch the other animated series that came out as well?

I only tangently watched Master of the Universe as a kid in the 80s.  I had some of the toys (preferred GI Joe, Transformers, MASK).

I enjoyed the Kevin Smith series, and definitely looking forward to the conclusion.
I tried to watch the other Netflix garbage.  I CAN'T stand the animation style, and found the story stupid.  Watched the 1st episode, and couldn't continue.

1 hour ago, Goofball814 said:

I only tangently watched Master of the Universe as a kid in the 80s.  I had some of the toys (preferred GI Joe, Transformers, MASK).

I enjoyed the Kevin Smith series, and definitely looking forward to the conclusion.
I tried to watch the other Netflix garbage.  I CAN'T stand the animation style, and found the story stupid.  Watched the 1st episode, and couldn't continue.

admittedly have not watched the "Netflix garbage" but i did enjoy the first part of the KS series.