75309 - UCS: Republic Gunship

Pseudoty

Set is massive, that's nice, minifigures are absolutely underwhelming (at this point LEGO is forcefully trying not to give us a regular clone squad, what a joke), price should be $250-$300 max, I'm a bit disappointed... 

Once again, fan designs were cooler. This one in particular:

lego-moc-ucs-republic-gunship-500.jpg.36a3cd3e3d04de622fc934f5eda5c273.jpg

Just looks way cleaner & has better, sharper angles. Obviously it's missing the stickers & details, but the overall shape, the engine design etc. it just looks way better imo.

Still a UCS gunship, so I can't really complain as a prequel fan.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ogelwoc said:

It’s CAD480 for us Canadian. I get it a 3000+ pieces set but the price is too high.
Slow seller, massive discount later to clear out, then boom we are seeing B-Wing history repeat. One can only hope but unlikely.

I can't think of any UCS sets that have discounted much in the past few years. One that comes to mind is the UCS tie. Past that though, Star wars and Lego as a whole are just doing too well. 

The gunship is iconic for the prequels just as the falcon or star destroyer are for sequels. Despite the high price I'm with the end of your last statement that it's unlikely we get much of a discount on this thing. If anything will be lucky to have it in stock for the first year. 

The world is crazy with demand right now... GPUs, Nintendo, Steam, Lego, nice time to be a flipper.

Over 3000+ pieces, so I understand the price...especially with the Star Wars tax. IMO, I would've preferred no minifigures to be included as it's hard to make certain ships in the UCS-style to be in scale for the figures. I'm on the fence about picking this up. I'm not a huge Clone Wars fan, but I do like UCS ships.

Indeed. Even with the exchange rate, LEGO decided to slap another CAD40, we’re really being screwed here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Sad 1

I can't think of any UCS sets that have discounted much in the past few years. One that comes to mind is the UCS tie. Past that though, Star wars and Lego as a whole are just doing too well. 
The gunship is iconic for the prequels just as the falcon or star destroyer are for sequels. Despite the high price I'm with the end of your last statement that it's unlikely we get much of a discount on this thing. If anything will be lucky to have it in stock for the first year. 
The world is crazy with demand right now... GPUs, Nintendo, Steam, Lego, nice time to be a flipper.

The TIE price is not encouraging. At least up here, I’m not seeing the COVID bump.

That was tongue in cheek. It’s not going to be massive discounts for the reasons you stated. 20% to 25% is possible once it’s not longer exclusive to LEGO Shop at Home. As well with the secrets is out that LEGO is better than gold, the hordes will be onto it.
Whether it’s selling out first day will be interesting to see.

49 minutes ago, Ogelwoc said:

The TIE price is not encouraging. At least up here, I’m not seeing the COVID bump.

That was tongue in cheek. It’s not going to be massive discounts for the reasons you stated. 20% to 25% is possible once it’s not longer exclusive to LEGO Shop at Home. As well with the secrets is out that LEGO is better than gold, the hordes will be onto it.
Whether it’s selling out first day will be interesting to see.

i just sold a ucs tie yesterday for $460 fbm.  guess depends where u r selling.

pretty much every ucs set release people bash it but buy the end , its  hoarded.  minifigures in this set are  sort of like minifigures in the tumbler set.  no one complained about getting a heath ledger minifigure along with a technic large scale vehicle.   they sold them to lower the cost.

i am guessing there will be flipping opportunity with this.

Edited by cladner

12 minutes ago, cladner said:

i just sold a ucs tie yesterday for $460 fbm.  guess depends where u r selling.

pretty much every ucs set release people bash it but buy the end , its  hoarded.  minifigures in this set are  sort of like minifigures in the tumbler set.  no one complained about getting a heath ledger minifigure along with a technic large scale vehicle.   they sold them to lower the cost.

i am guessing there will be flipping opportunity with this.

Are you talking about parting out the tumbler figs? If so I did and if memory recalls it was like $150 for the pair. I don’t think either of these figs well fetch anything close to that although there are still plenty of SW completionists. 

I have not seen the weight on the Gunship yet, yes it is “huge”, but it is a big empty Technic core with a long wing span. Will be interesting to have a comparison graphic like above for the weights of the same sets. Although not UCS but MBS I think the Cantina  is a better buy and build at the same price point. The one thing I still need to see that could change this is how it looks in person. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Are you talking about parting out the tumbler figs? If so I did and if memory recalls it was like $150 for the pair. I don’t think either of these figs well fetch anything close to that although there are still plenty of SW completionists. 

I have not seen the weight on the Gunship yet, yes it is “huge”, but it is a big empty Technic core with a long wing span. Will be interesting to have a comparison graphic like above for the weights of the same sets. Although not UCS but MBS I think the Cantina  is a better buy and build at the same price point. The one thing I still need to see that could change this is how it looks in person. 

that is true there is no heath joker minifigure or (another ) exclusive batman (yawn) minfigure but episode 1-3 fanbase is very strong and  exclusive minifigures  may be worth something to defray the cost at the time of release for those wishing to build the vehicle only.  i will be buying a couple defrayed with vip points to flip on amazon somewhere north of $650 when they inevitably go oos not orderable at shop at home.  at least that's the plan.  i was flipping a-wings immediately after the release for $380 so not crazy to think $600+.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cladner said:

that is true there is no heath joker minifigure or (another ) exclusive batman (yawn) minfigure but episode 1-3 fanbase is very strong and  exclusive minifigures  may be worth something to defray the cost at the time of release for those wishing to build the vehicle only.  i will be buying a couple defrayed with vip points to flip on amazon somewhere north of $650 when they inevitably go oos not orderable at shop at home.  at least that's the plan.  i was flipping a-wings immediately after the release for $380 so not crazy to think $600+.

first off most use of word defray and other forms of it.

secondly A-wing got caught up in the LEGO store shutdowns and main first covid surge.

They have been very well prepared every release of late but pretty much every exclusive is good first few months until they go mainstream on the other platforms.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

first off most use of word defray and other forms of it.

secondly A-wing got caught up in the LEGO store shutdowns and main first covid surge.

They have been very well prepared every release of late but pretty much every exclusive is good first few months until they go mainstream on the other platforms.

yes - last year's electric lego juice is definitely not the same.

still i think the force is especially strong with this specific set because we have not had a republic gunship available at retail for quite some time much less a UCS RG . 

both prior gunships are already soaring at lofty levels selling at over $700 on amazon so the buyer has been trained to expect to pay up.

there are a some hedge fund kids out on the eastern end of long island running out of ucs sets to buy from me.  i need something fresh.

3 hours ago, Captain_chaos said:

But then it wouldn't be a UCS set.

🤷LEGO keeps changing what’s considered a UCS set. A $200-250 Gunship loaded with clones and a few exclusives would have ticked a lot of boxes for fans. This set just doesn’t do it for me. 

• Like 1

Here is a good write up:

https://jaysbrickblog.com/reviews/review-lego-75309-ucs-republic-gunship/

Summary:

What I liked:

• A hugely ambitious Prequel model that’s absolutely massive in scale
  • Colour scheme is really attractive – it’s not grey!
  • The Republic Gunship’s armaments and weapons on full display
  • Incredible huge wingspan
  • LEGO finally gives some love to the prequels

What I didn’t like: 

• Incredibly hard to display
  • Could’ve used Jedi Bob, as a secret bonus
  • Doors don’t close which is a wasted opportunity
  • Greebling isn’t fantastic
  • It feels less like a UCS set, and more like an upsized playset

• Like 1

Side by side it does look pretty impressive, the thing is truly massive. From what I've seen in his review it's not the sturdiest set though, it has a heavy back side & the doors are a bit wobbly. Isn't really a concern for a display set, but still unnecessary, I'm sure there would've been a solution for stability. 

If this set disappears within 2 years (it won't, but who knows) be ready to see a $500 price tag in no time. 

8 hours ago, gmpirate said:

They are probably waiting until the last minute to make sure it doesn't offend anyone.  Gives everyone a chance to be heard.

They still have 10 days to notify everybody before the release date though.  That's when it would be a big screw up.