lego S@H now charging tax?

Just noticed today when I went to Lego LEGO Shop at Home that they are adding tax now to the total.....

Guess the free ride is over.... :(

They have to charge sales tax if they have a physical presence in your state. For us in Texas we've always had it because we have several LEGO stores. Did LEGO recently open a store in your state?

Also, little known fact, even if an online retailer doesn't charge sales tax on a purchase that's being shipped out of state, the buyer is still supposed to report it to the state and pay use tax on that purchase amount. Most states have a use tax, so technically there never was a free ride.

(* And no, I'm not naive enough to think that people are actually voluntarily reporting and paying use tax in all cases.)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2011/04/15/paying-sales-tax-on-internet-purchases/

It's true about the taxes and it starting early. Same thing happened to me when the Lego store came to my town in Wauwatosa, WI. It was nearly after that announcement alone I was getting taxes added onto my LEGO Shop at Home purchases. Hopefully you live near the store being built, then it doesn't smart so much.

OK, that explains it. They're supposed to be opening the Lego store later this year in West County Center. And yes, I know about sales tax and internet sales and all the new rules (as well as old ones). Amazon does the same thing when you purchase from them and one of their distribution centers in in the state which you reside.

OK, that explains it. They're supposed to be opening the Lego store later this year in West County Center.

And yes, I know about sales tax and internet sales and all the new rules (as well as old ones). Amazon does the same thing when you purchase from them and one of their distribution centers in in the state which you reside.

Nothing like getting a head start on the tax I guess. I don't think the store is to open until May.

I live in Arkansas, and I was charged sales tax the other day. We have no brick and mortar stores, and there are none on the list to be opening. I wish they would!

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/arkansas-internet-sales-tax.html

"physical presence" does not necessarily mean a store. Could be that they have a warehouse or a sales rep, or in the case of Arkansas, nothing.

Arkansas is a special exception. They have what is called an "Amazon Law"

http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/assembly/2011/2011R/Acts/Act1001.pdf

That's why...

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/arkansas-internet-sales-tax.html

"physical presence" does not necessarily mean a store. Could be that they have a warehouse or a sales rep, or in the case of Arkansas, nothing.

Arkansas is a special exception. They have what is called an "Amazon Law"

http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/assembly/2011/2011R/Acts/Act1001.pdf

That's why...

That's interesting. I never pay sales tax on Amazon.

That's interesting. I never pay sales tax on Amazon.

Amazon often has enough weight and clout to negotiate special deals with states, especially a smaller state like Arkansas (no offense, I love Arkansas...underrated as a vacation destination...the only state with a diamond mine!). They might have put a facility there with an agreement from the state that sales tax will not be charged for a certain period of time. I don't know for sure, just speculating. We had that in Texas for a while, but we now pay sales tax on Amazon purchases.

So even though it's nicknamed "The Amazon Law" it may not necessarily apply to Amazon at the moment.

Honestly I'm surprised though, given that WalMart is headquartered in Bentonville that Arkansas would give any kind of special treatment to Amazon.

Amazon often has enough weight and clout to negotiate special deals with states, especially a smaller state like Arkansas (no offense, I love Arkansas...underrated as a vacation destination...the only state with a diamond mine!). They might have put a facility there with an agreement from the state that sales tax will not be charged for a certain period of time. I don't know for sure, just speculating. We had that in Texas for a while, but we now pay sales tax on Amazon purchases.

So even though it's nicknamed "The Amazon Law" it may not necessarily apply to Amazon at the moment.

Honestly I'm surprised though, given that WalMart is headquartered in Bentonville that Arkansas would give any kind of special treatment to Amazon.

I love learning new things! Thanks for all of the info.

Arkansas is definitely a great place to visit if you like the outdoors. I live about an hour from the Buffalo National River.