79004 - Barrel Escape

Don't buy it at LEGO Shop at Home, they charge for tax and shipping, it costs a bundle after all that, just wait for a TRU BOGO 50% off and grab two. Even after the markup and tax, I got mine for $35.50 each, even with double VIP points or free shipping, LEGO Shop at Home won't come close to that.

This is on sale this week at TRU for about $31.50. Just use the 30% off code 958788 at checkout.

Italy is a destination not eligible for this set at TRU :-(

for "poor" european the only way to buy it is at LEGO Shop at Home? is an exclusive?

on amazon.de/it/fr/es/co.uk are only from 3rd party

• 3 months later...

Interesting story on this one. The original Hobbit movie series was two movies when they started designing the Lego set, but when they were making the movie they shifted course and turned their footage into three movies. Since the design for this was already done, Lego released it as a "preview" set to the second movie. There's even a little printed badge on the box that says it.

That said, I think this will be a winner. It's currently available on the retail market, yet still selling over retail on eBay. Whle that may change, it bodes well for it. My major concern about the set is that it's retirement will not come until the end of 2014 (or even 2015) because of its connection to the second movie, due to be released in December 2013.

Found a bunch of these recently at a TRU for the odd price of $31.09. Combined with some of those TRU discount coupons I picked them up for a really decent price. 

I wouldn't have purchased these without the significant discount...it will probably appreciate significantly, but it's not really my thing.

From the looks of the Desolation of Smaug previews, this scene will be pretty significant in the new film. Hopefully it will positively influence this sets value.  

The scene looks highly overblown, but I sure hope that its significance in the movie helps propel the set after EOL! 

Guest eightbrick

Canadian prices aren't pretty for this set.

Lego LEGO Shop at Home $49.99 CAD

TRU Canada $54.99 CAD

Indeed, but we have to deal with that ~20% markup on everything. It's not the only $39.99 USD set that is is 50 bucks. But seriously, though, we Canadians should stop complaining, I hear some Eastern European countries are way worse :D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

From the looks of the Desolation of Smaug previews, this scene will be pretty significant in the new film. Hopefully it will positively influence this sets value.

Definitely my favorite part of the book. That and the inventory of Bilbo's larder.

Darn it. Now you all have convinced me to pick up 4 more. Think there will be any left on double points Wednesday?

Definitely my favorite part of the book. That and the inventory of Bilbo's larder.

Darn it. Now you all have convinced me to pick up 4 more. Think there will be any left on double points Wednesday?

Is the too big for santas sleigh online sale valid until then? I hope so cause my local Tru has plenty of barrel escapes, so I can just order online and pick up at store :)