Ideas #035: 21327 - Typewriter

Alpinemaps

3 minutes ago, gmpirate said:

I don't get it.  I don't get the impression that the piano is a huge seller.  I mean, how many people get excited about typewriters and pianos?

I think people are going to be more excited about the (I presume) printed alphabet pieces. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, gmpirate said:

I don't get it.  I don't get the impression that the piano is a huge seller.  I mean, how many people get excited about typewriters and pianos?

Actually I own a type writer for birthday cards etc., it shows that you've put some effort into it. But the fan base of a type writer will be relativly small and compared to the piano audience with money this gonna be a huge turd.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gmpirate said:

Just now, Sozial said:

Actually I own a type writer for birthday cards etc., it shows that you've put some effort into it. But the fan base of a type writer will be relativly small and compared to the piano audience with money this gonna be a huge turd.

It may be more about Lego's continued campaign to showcase the versatility of the system and how even unlikely configurations can be made from lego more than actual sales. Of course when you make new pieces for your new sets it detracts that argument. Anything can be made from lego pieces when you make new pieces.

There is a quaint novelty seeing everyday real life items being recreated at varying scales in other mediums such as LEGO here. While this may not be able to actually type (at least straight from the box), it makes for a nice conversation piece on the coffee table ....or a moss-covered three-handled family credenza.

Anyway as been pointed out already, the printed tiles and whatever other possibly unique pieces to come from this set will be the main draw for builders.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I'm old enough I typed reports on these in Elementary School and actually had to share time on manual typewriters in Typing Class in High School.

This set definitely looks neat.

Pretty sure where you live , those haven’t been invented yet . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Looks nicer than the original design (for once). 

This could start a new series on obsolete tech. 8 track player, slide projector, fax machine, and outhouse all have potential.  

Rotary phone, VCR

Someone with more talents than me should start ideas submissions for these

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #035: 21327 - Typewriter
1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Rotary phone, VCR

Someone with more talents than me should start ideas submissions for these

LEGO Walkman, too.

@TheOrcKing I think we have an idea for a new photo thread - Obsolete Tech

1 hour ago, marcandre said:

Looks nicer than the original design (for once). 

This could start a new series on obsolete tech. 8 track player, slide projector, fax machine, and outhouse all have potential.  

I agree!  It does look a lot better.  This is definitely one of those times where they took the Idea, and improved the looks of it to make it a far better product.

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

I'm old enough I typed reports on these in Elementary School and actually had to share time on manual typewriters in Typing Class in High School.

This set definitely looks neat.

Me too.  I took a semester long typing class in high school, on a manual typewriter.  I think I ended the class with a 45 WPM score.  Now I type something like 130 WPM?  Something insane like that.  But obviously not on a manual typewriter, lol.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Me too.  I took a semester long typing class in high school, on a manual typewrite.  I think I ended the class with a 45 WPM score.  Now I type something like 130 WPM?  Something insane like that.  But obviously not on a manual typewriter, lol.

Same here. 

Does everyone know the history of why the typewriter keys are laid out in the weird arrangement? 

The original typewriter was laid out with ABCDE... all in order.  It had to be changed to what we have today in order to slow down those who could type so fast they would jam the typewriter.  Personally I thought it was fun to jam a manual typewriter, unless I had a paper I needed to get done for school.  It was like a reverse break the ice game to pull each striker back until they all came apart.  Of course, it was annoying to get the ink off your fingers afterwards.  

Once computers caught on they tried changing the the English keyboard back to ABCDE... but so many people were used to the typewriter configuration it was rejected.

A LEGO real-to-real could be easy to motorize and with a smart phone, have it play music like the LEGO piano.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

Same here. 

Does everyone know the history of why the typewriter keys are laid out in the weird arrangement? 

The original typewriter was laid out with ABCDE... all in order.  It had to be changed to what we have today in order to slow down those who could type so fast they would jam the typewriter.  Personally I thought it was fun to jam a manual typewriter, unless I had a paper I needed to get done for school.  It was like a reverse break the ice game to pull each striker back until they all came apart.  Of course, it was annoying to get the ink off your fingers afterwards.  

Once computers caught on they tried changing the the English keyboard back to ABCDE... but so many people were used to the typewriter configuration it was rejected.

A LEGO real-to-real could be easy to motorize and with a smart phone, have it play music like the LEGO piano.

Here's a fun read about the origin of QWERTY

The Origins of QWERTY

• Like 2

Man, I remember playing with that ribbon as a kid and getting ink all over my hands and also slamming a bunch of keys at once to jam the arms. 

Lego did a great job with this set. Is that sand green?? As much as I like how it looks, I don't know if it'll be enough for me to buy it. It doesn't really fit in my collection or style of sets I like to buy. 

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

Me too.  I took a semester long typing class in high school, on a manual typewriter.  I think I ended the class with a 45 WPM score.  Now I type something like 130 WPM?  Something insane like that.  But obviously not on a manual typewriter, lol.

Typing was my worst class in highschool.  Hated every minute of it.  My fingers could never follow all of the rules (pinky for qaz, etc, etc).  I developed my own rules (basically I map the keys in my mind and my fingers go all over the keyboards) and never look back :P