Collectable Minifigure Series

TedZeppelin

I'd like to know where this forum thinks the Collectable Minifigures of the various series will go. Do you think that their price will rise in a couple of years? Or do you think that they'll turn up a small profit, or maybe none at all? Let me know what's up; I'm dying to hear your opinion!

I'd like to know where this forum thinks the Collectable Minifigures of the various series will go. Do you think that their price will rise in a couple of years? Or do you think that they'll turn up a small profit, or maybe none at all?

Let me know what's up; I'm dying to hear your opinion!

Check out this Series 1 sales current price. It is for one random bag. These sets sold for $1.99 and now are selling for over $10 per bag, basically up over 456% in two years. That is just crazy. The Zombie collectible minifigure from Series 1 is selling for $20 or more. If LEGO says it's 'collectible,' then it must be.

I wouldn't count on that kind of return on very many of the current or future series' of minifigures. Ever since that first series LEGO has saturated the market with them. Not to mention that these figures, or at least a good portion of their parts, are often turning up in the BAM section of LEGO Stores which further diminishes their value. I'm not saying they aren't worth getting, but I wouldn't expect too much from them. The only exception would be the Olympic Series which will only be available in the UK.

Yeah, I have noticed most of the newer series don't sell well on ebay. I see a lot without bids. I would have liked to get my hands on some of those zombies. I believe they are so popular because they are the ultimate army builder.

I have a feeling you will see some sort of Zombie Pack or the Zombies set(9465) for the Monster Fighters theme that will kill the value of the 8683-5 Zombie. Just a thought...

• 3 months later...

Collectible Mini Figures are just too widely available and accessible for most people. With a little practice, you can pick up a bag and feel it for 30 seconds and easily tell what's inside. It's pretty easy to get the ones you want. For something that is easy to find, and only costs $2.99, I don't see these as being much of an investment. Especially long term. These are the kind of things where you'll want to strike while the iron is hot.

Only certain characters will become worth anything down the road, but overall I don't see them increasing in value too much. Especially considering how each package must be opened to verify the contents.

I mean, even if there was a minifigure listed from series 6 on BrickLink you were missing, and in the description it said "sealed", are you going to chance buying a mystery pack that hasn't been opened and could end up being the wrong figure? I admit there are 'smooshing' experts out there and can tell what's inside any packet (I'm getting better at it myself), but would you really?

Considering how much more something is worth if it still is sealed, these sort of throw that rule right out the window.

In the secondary market, the only people who'll buy these are 'completionists' (collectors that HAVE to have a complete series), MOC'ers, and ones that want specific minifigures.

• 10 months later...

Indeed, only selective ones will do well. For each series I've been hoarding just the warrior, soldier type minifigures. There are always someone who want to make an army of them. It's true, parts have ended up in the BAM bin but in my experience I've only been able to complete 2-3 figures. Parts are always sporadic I ended up ordering accessories from elsewhere.

I agree with above about selling unopened packs. Even if I don't mind buying opened CM packs, I'll still prefer to sell unopened packs. I check each one by feel to select which one I would buy and hoard, I mark it, and then check again before for shipping.

I have a feeling you will see some sort of Zombie Pack or the Zombies set(9465) for the Monster Fighters theme that will kill the value of the 8683-5 Zombie. Just a thought...

Unfortunately this has not materialised. 8683-5 zombie value keeps going up. Good news for investors, bad news for completionist like me. I don't understand this zombie craze so here I'm like when is this zombie fad going to stop!?

I own all the minigs for each series including mr. gold and I am holding them for a long time.  I will continue to add each set as they come out.  Even on ebay buying a whole set is in general pretty reasonable excluding mr. gold of course.  I have no clue the long term value but at a small investment I figure owning every single minifig will at least have some value.