75290 - MBS: Mos Eisley Cantina

Lobot

6 minutes ago, TANV said:

This set is going to be a winner when it retires.

• Iconic scene? Check.
  • Beloved and highly regarded film? Check.
  • Aesthetically pleasing and mobile design? Check.
  • Lots of first-time minifigures? Check.

Yeah, calling it now.

i think you're right. there is a VIP event on 9/16. hoping there may be some freebies? a landspeeder maybe? :)

17 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Looks great. Way better than Cloud City. 

agreed. good play value but also looks to make a great display piece. 

6 minutes ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

a landspeeder maybe? :)

image.thumb.png.734b4c9120bbdce1378353d121a807a8.png

75271 was released this year. Which is why they included a different speeder in this set. Double dipping in your wallet to complete the scene.

Usually they botch it like they did with the AT-AT and Assault on Hoth.... or like they did just recently with the Snowspeeder retiring right before the recent AT-AT was released. Unfortunate they aren't fueling our wallets this time by releasing things piss poor like usual.

Outside of the minifigure selection, I'm not seeing this as a huge improvement on 75052 and 75205 which retailed at $110 for the pair. Certainly not worth triple the price. 

image.thumb.png.a34d381f4a5785f224457febc01909dd.png

image.thumb.png.7cc60b79e32ea43f7d4ac18f036f6066.png

Edited by brickvoyeur

While it's not as bad a display piece as Cloud City or the Hoth, it's still a set that you'd have to get up close to see and identify the characters before knowing what it is.  Not as easily recognizable as the UCS ships. 

It's missing the wolf man.

Therefore I don't believe this is CEO credenza worthy, only home office pressed wood desk worthy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I just don't like these - I feel like you are just cobbling small sets together to make a big set.  I was never enthused with Hoth And that has just set me against these "scene" sets.  Just my feeling.  And truly I am starting to get a felling they are stretching to get their next idea.  I guess I will have to think about this for a while  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dr Jedi said:

IMO, this is definitely a step up from Cloud City, and light years better than AOH.  But none of these have captured the charm of the Ewok Village  - still the best MBS set, even though it didn't officially have the tag.

I think AOH and this set have the blandness issue that the Ewok Village avoided, which is no fault of Lego--- just set design issues on most early trilogy films. You've got your sand planet, ice planet, forest planet, and space stations. Not easy to develop much detail or juxtaposition with so much blandness. Though I'll easily concede that the sand crawler and MF are excellent examples of putting as much detail as possible into fairly monochromatic models. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, legoray01 said:

I just don't like these - I feel like you are just cobbling small sets together to make a big set.  I was never enthused with Hoth And that has just set me against these "scene" sets.  Just my feeling.  And truly I am starting to get a felling they are stretching to get their next idea.  I guess I will have to think about this for a while  

I agree. The HP sets do these scenes much better and for me, spreading my $99 purchases over 5 sets that link together is pretty awesome. I do enjoy Star Wars, but we have seen so many replica sets now, it all seems bland. Im sure HP will get that way, but at least there was some time between the last release and not an annual thing.

• Like 2

Looks like a very good set. But Lego sure likes that $350 price point which is too rich for my blood. I feel like it could’ve been just as easily captured in a $150 set.  The Cantina scene is all about the characters.  The 2014 Cantina was so close that I think they could have used that as the template by adding 5 or 6  minifigs and a couple of walls. 

Edited by Mathew

On the mos eisley product page at the side it says 

VIPs: FREE Yoda's Lightsabre™ with purchase of the new Mos Eisley Cantina™.

HATE it, because lightsaBRE it's a lightsaBER! Whatever, anyways lightsaber isn't adding to my cart when I try to check out so there is NO WAY I am going to buy this and not get anything free. I think it is probably just another case of lego.com on drugs.

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

wow that was pretty fast...especially for such a high priced set...I had my doubts. Saber GWP purchase should settle in at around $125-$150...$200 is not out of reach IMO.

Maybe. Already sub $100 listings hitting ebay. One sets are delivered it will be a race to the bottom.