Star Wars (Movies, TV, Books, Other Media) - general discussion

Alpinemaps

2 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

Darth Maul written out of the upcoming Kenobi series . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s because he died at the end of TPM. I dislike the idea of bringing back dead characters as fan service.* I won’t watch Boba Fett for this reason. 

*Spock is the rare exception to the rule. The Star Trek movie series would not have been able to continue without him. 

Edited by Mathew

2 hours ago, Mathew said:

That’s because he died at the end of TPM.

depends on what you consider definitive "death"

Basically in Star Wars if you fall down a deep shaft (w/ or w/o a critical injury (e.g., limb cut off, etc); odds are you will survive.  Luke in Empire Strikes back sets the clear precedent as he hung on w/ his only hand at the bottom of Cloud City.

We know what happens to palpatine

...and we will likely see Han Solo come back...J/K his voice to Ben that triggers Ben's conversion clearly means he dead.

Digression aside; altho Darth was cut in half AND fell down the shaft...he "survived" and had an extensive rejuvenation process over multiple Clone Wars episodes. 

Darth ultimately tracks down Kenobi on Tattoine in Rebels and they have a VERY disappointing anticlimactic light saber dual where Kenobi finally ends Darth, but w/ pity.  At this point Darth hates the Empire as much as anyone and dies being assured (by Kenobi) that the "chosen one" will avenge him. So we know the events in Rebels pre-dates the mando timeline of which Kenobi series is a part of, so to bring him back (unless by flashback) would go against "canon".

Dang...Rebels as a series was so instrumental for key interactions between key characters in Star Wars...it's becoming a must view...moreso than Clone Wars.

11 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

Darth Maul written out of the upcoming Kenobi series . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They aren't saying it, but this might also have something to do with the Ray Park controversy at the time.  They changed direction around then.

6 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

We know what happens to palpatine

Creative bankruptcy.  

Star Wars has been guilty of this for a long time.  Going back to Return of the Jedi.  As a kid when I first saw the partially constructed Death Star my thoughts were "Did they only blow up part of it?"  I was 8 or 9 and this is before online spoilers so my ignorance can be forgiven.  With that being said, couldn't Lucas have come up with different super weapon than another Death Star with even more vulnerabilities?  Probably not.

Edited by Mathew

Creative bankruptcy.  

Star Wars has been guilty of this for a long time.  Going back to Return of the Jedi.  As a kid when I first saw the partially constructed Death Star my thoughts were "Did they only blow up part of it?"  I was 8 or 9 and this is before online spoilers so my ignorance can be forgiven.  With that being said, couldn't Lucas have come up with different super weapon than another Death Star with even more vulnerabilities?  Probably not.

It made me wonder if the Empire was building two of them, why not three or five?

Creative bankruptcy.  

actually a 2nd death star with vulnerabilities was the perfect trap.  Palpatine was a genius for coming up with it.  Yes by then it was almost a trope, but can't argue the brilliance...and the trap almost worked if not for some furry natives.

the worse one is Star Killer base and blowing that up...

On 3/15/2022 at 11:38 PM, Mathew said:

That’s because he died at the end of TPM. I dislike the idea of bringing back dead characters as fan service.* I won’t watch Boba Fett for this reason. 

*Spock is the rare exception to the rule. The Star Trek movie series would not have been able to continue without him. 

Except he didn't die at the end of TPM. We've seen him plenty in TCW, Rebels, and Solo.

On 3/16/2022 at 1:22 AM, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Darth ultimately tracks down Kenobi on Tattoine in Rebels and they have a VERY disappointing anticlimactic light saber dual where Kenobi finally ends Darth, but w/ pity. 

I would argue that last duel was an excellent way to bridge the old and the new lightsaber fight choreography between the prequels and ep 4-6.  They were master swordsmen sizing each other for a minute before using their final moves. They knew each other well enough to realize all the fancy moves were pointless at this point.  Maul decided to use the exact same move that he used to kill Quigon.  Unfortunately Obi Wan probably knew this move by heart and had the counter prepared ever since his master was killed.

This also reminiscence of old samurai movies where the final fight usually decided in 1 move.  Or old western movies that came down to 1 last draw at the end.

Typing all these made me realize that the younger generations do not have appreciation for all of these old stuffs.  They probably were not even aware of these stuffs. 

Also, finding all of these hidden connections were fun.  One of the reasons I dislike the newer movies / series is that everything is explained repeatedly to make sure the ADD riddled modern audience can follow the simplest plot points.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I would argue that last duel was an excellent way to bridge the old and the new lightsaber fight choreography between the prequels and ep 4-6.  They were master swordsmen sizing each other for a minute before using their final moves. They knew each other well enough to realize all the fancy moves were pointless at this point.  Maul decided to use the exact same move that he used to kill Quigon.  Unfortunately Obi Wan probably knew this move by heart and had the counter prepared ever since his master was killed.

This also reminiscence of old samurai movies where the final fight usually decided in 1 move.  Or old western movies that came down to 1 last draw at the end.

Typing all these made me realize that the younger generations do not have appreciation for all of these old stuffs.  They probably were not even aware of these stuffs. 

Also, finding all of these hidden connections were fun.  One of the reasons I dislike the newer movies / series is that everything is explained repeatedly to make sure the ADD riddled modern audience can follow the simplest plot points.

touche, but still anticlimatic...and I don't know about the sense of maturing...but weird to see Darth dying in the arms of Kenobi.  respect for for one's enemy but made Darth look truly pathetic.

Totally agree on "real" fighters and actual fights.  Back in the 60s in rural post-war Korea my dad was part of a clan establishing their martial art school. And back then if you wanted to open a school in a specific area the masters had to challenge the incumbent..."That was the way", winner gets the students and claim to the area.  So those were some real epic fights and my dad always said it was a couple of your best moves and that was it.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

touche, but still anticlimatic...and I don't know about the sense of maturing...but weird to see Darth dying in the arms of Kenobi.  respect for for one's enemy but made Darth look truly pathetic.

Totally agree on "real" fighters and actual fights.  Back in the 60s in rural post-war Korea my dad was part of a clan establishing their martial art school. And back then if you wanted to open a school in a specific area the masters had to challenge the incumbent..."That was the way", winner gets the students and claim to the area.  So those were some real epic fights and my dad always said it was a couple of your best moves and that was it.  

I thought that was the point?  By the end of Rebels, Maul was a sad and pathetic relic from CW era.  He lost everything to Palp in CW and he had no chance of rebuilding once the Empire was established.

Sounds like your dad has a lot of interesting stories to tell, which I would not mind sitting down and listening to. :)  I grew up watching old Hong Kong kung fu movies and 80% of the stories involved new master defeating masters from already established schools in the area.  Just by your dad's experience, these movies were probably closer to reality than what I had imagined.

35 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I thought that was the point?  By the end of Rebels, Maul was a sad and pathetic relic from CW era.  He lost everything to Palp in CW and he had no chance of rebuilding once the Empire was established.

Sounds like your dad has a lot of interesting stories to tell, which I would not mind sitting down and listening to. :)  I grew up watching old Hong Kong kung fu movies and 80% of the stories involved new master defeating masters from already established schools in the area.  Just by your dad's experience, these movies were probably closer to reality than what I had imagined.

I think Episode 1 did no favors for Maul in its portrayal.  Maul was clearly a thinker and to some extent a philosopher.  Maybe he evolved from a single-minded easily manipulated brute (much like his "brother") through all his pain and anguish into more of a thinker.  His whole story would be a great series...those times as head of Crimson Tide we only have bits of info on.

the other stories my dad mentions is that the small towns without schools were typically run by small gangs...hoodlums (according to my dad).  My dad and my uncles would go around beating these gangs up as a way to advertise for their schools (sometimes ended up recruiting them as students).  He actually talks very little about those days...he hung up his blackbelt when they immigrated to US...my mom convinced him he wouldn't make an money in martial arts...so basically Kim's Convenience is my actual life....

• Like 2

• 1 year later...