LEGO 2012 PRESS RELEASE...EXCELLENT NEWS FOR INVESTORS!!!

Alacrin, no offense, but your logic is a bit weak here. Basically you're saying that you don't have much money to invest therefore a longer-term investment with an unproven rate of return that ties up your limited capital much longer makes more sense than a shorter-term investment with a proven rate of return that lets you turn your money over more quickly. Seems like if you don't have much money to invest then you should be figuring out ways to double, triple, and quadruple the amount you have in as short a time as possible.

I'm all for different styles in this game, but the point of the matter is that each market is different. They have different players and they demand different things and they buy things at different times and for different reasons. How exactly are people that pay 50% above retail for a set that's been retired for 5 years "smarter" than someone who pays 50% above retail for a current set now that is impossible for most people to find? They're not, because intelligence isn't the factor here. The factors are purely supply and demand and market efficiencies and inefficiencies. When you get into judging the relative intelligence of demand you simply won't do well at this type of thing. Demand is neither smart nor dumb, and in a free-market system those that respond to demand are rewarded.

Too many people here think they're buying the next Millenium Falcon or Green Grocer and that they're going to hold things and get some amazing return. Items like that are always an exception in every market. It's nice when you hit them, but if you really want to make money at this or any or investment you have to behave in line with the expectations of each market and give each market what it wants.

I am just warning people that saying Friends will be another big hit to be cautious because some posts here make it like they are the big new hit like Star Wars.

And its alot of difference in intelligence... if you want THAT millenium falcon that is retired and you want it so bad you can pay for it (ridiculous amount) if you want olivias house you wait 2 months you get it 50% cheaper...

Its basic intelligence anyone wanting Olivias house NOW should wait for resupply... there will not be another EXACT same Falcon though.

So your comparison is way off

All I am warning is to let everyone know what i think..... and I expressed what i think, your reply is though an exact attack on me personally instead of discussing about the sets...

I am yet to hear 3 good reasons why anyone thinks Friends is the new big winner, except speculation with no real basis. male collecting LEGO has a strong history, and so is a valid basis for speculation but women psychology is completely different and based way more towards shiny and new than old and valuable atleast in LEGO.

Me personally I do not have the time to buy sets and sell them for 30-45% above my purchase value. I aim for 2x retail then sell, thats just my aim. I list all my sets (and always leave 1 out for long term) as soon as they hit 2x retail or as soon as they are 7-12 months EOL.

thats my idea of doing it someone else sure has some others... the only things i sell forth sooner are minifigures and only leave 1 whole series for myself

I am sure some will not agree but with those few sets i invested in so far i had 80% success (4 went for 1,90-2,05x retail 1 was a flop in my eyes)

I will go check store for Friends and will see what they have out of curiosity about them cos last time i checked boxes i had 0 knowledge what was what lol.

Lol is right Pickle boy!

1. If you are not a women how can you possibly think like one

2. It takes time to see what really happens with LEGO themes

3. There are a lot of women out there who do invest in the Star Wars, Ninjago etc. women like to make money too, not just spend it!

This is a funny post goes to show how we all think differently on investing LOL to all!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol is right Pickle boy!

1. If you are not a women how can you possibly think like one

2. It takes time to see what really happens with LEGO themes

3. There are a lot of women out there who do invest in the Star Wars, Ninjago etc. women like to make money too, not just spend it!

This is a funny post goes to show how we all think differently on investing LOL to all!!

1. Because you see what happens with other women related selling stuff... See i work at a computer service small company, when women come to the shop its so much easier to sell to them whats new and flashy, way harder to do the same thing to me OVERALL. Why would you think it will be any different with Friends, untill it happens we can only speculate on other women consuming ''facts'' we see or have.

2. Yes it does, or it does not, We know Prince of Persia is a flop for now already, did not need to wait for long really.

3. you use your words so smoothly and smart, ''alot'' is the right word because its so relative, it is way less than men though, and the word you use represents different number for every one of us so we can all agree :)

We will see who had speculated right, if it ends better or as good as Star Wars and similar hands down to all you who speculated correctly, but i took 10 min now and cruised through the price guides and all Friends sets... granted some data is still skewed because of new theme I seen alot of activity in December and a rather major drop in purchases of Friends on Ebay in January.

SORRY BOUT THE CAPS!!! DIDNT MEAN TO HURT YOUR EYES. I HAVE TROUBLE SEEING WHAT I'M WRITING. YOU GUYS DON'T LIKE MY CAPS??? I FEEL THAT IS A TOTAL PERSONAL ATTACK ON ME!!! PICKLEBOY...I LIKED YOU MORE WHEN YOU WERE YOUNGER...WHEN THEY USE TO CALL YOU CUCUMBER BOY!!! NOW GO BUY SOME FRIENDS SETS AND MAKE SOME REAL MONEY. OH AND STOP BUYING THOSE PRINCE OF PERSIA AT 60% OFF!!! THEY ARE STILL LOSERS!!! LOL I SHOULD CHANGE MY NAME TO MR. ALL CAPS!!! HAHAHAHA GOOD POINT ON BUNDLING THE FRIENDS THEME AND SELLING THEM LIKE THAT...I REALLY LIKE THAT!!!

And its alot of difference in intelligence... if you want THAT millenium falcon that is retired and you want it so bad you can pay for it (ridiculous amount) if you want olivias house you wait 2 months you get it 50% cheaper...

Its basic intelligence anyone wanting Olivias house NOW should wait for resupply... there will not be another EXACT same Falcon though.

So your comparison is way off

That's not intelligence, that's called a market preference. Study economics. There really is a name for what you're describing, and it has nothing to do with intelligence. Also, if you think people behave rationally then I have some disappointing news for you...

And trust me, the market for the original MF is a tiny fraction of the market for Friends products.

There's plenty of people that think that someone paying thousands of dollars for any LEGO item is a sign of mental incompetence. As I said before, I don't care if people are dumb or smart, their money spends exactly the same way...

I'm not sure how Olivia's House came into this. I've never sold an Olivia's House. When it does go EOL and supply dries up, which will be later this year, I'll be selling a ton of them. But at the moment my Friends money is not coming from Olivia's House.

In any event, how you choose to invest is exactly that, a choice, and as I said, different markets require different approaches. But based on your replies here you have more of an emotional attachment to the things you're buying than an investor does. Be careful of that...while we hear on this site a lot that people should buy what they like, remember that the market that buys these things does not always have the desires that you do.

I feel a sense of male chauvinism around here and that is clouding the argument I'm afraid. As I have stated earlier, the Barbie Doll collector's market, which is heavily weighted towards women, is years ahead of the LEGO market, in fans and dollars. To think that women would not transfer some of this collector's interest to a highly collectible, quality new toy like the Friends theme is very short sighted IMO. A common theme I have read on this thread is time frame. What's the difference? These sets are just like every other LEGO set. They will appreciate after EOL, plateau, then drop in value. They are not meant to be 15-20 year investments...very few are. Point is, buy them flip them, if you want to diversify and make some money. But I can tell you one thing, LEGO promotes collecting and investing in subtle ways. Today we have Olivia's House as a main set. Tomorrow, we can have Stephanie's House. How about Mia's House in another year or two? See the pattern? What's this? They all line up together like a town block, like some other popular theme we all love(Modulars). But there's only one problem for little Janie 4 years from now, she wants ALL THE HOUSES! So what does Janie do? "DAAAAADDDDDYYY!!!! I WANT ALL THE HOUSES, BUT TARGET DOESN'T SELL THEM ANYMORE.....I WAAAAAAANNNNT THEM! I NNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED THEM!" What does a smart Dad do? Goes onto eBay and buys her Olivia's House for $400 to complete the street...at 5 times the MSRP. This is my vision for this theme. You don't have to agree. There are many other possible winners in the LEGO investment arena. I hear some people like the Haunted House.... ;-)

I feel a sense of male chauvinism around here and that is clouding the argument I'm afraid. As I have stated earlier, the Barbie Doll collector's market, which is heavily weighted towards women, is years ahead of the LEGO market, in fans and dollars. To think that women would not transfer some of this collector's interest to a highly collectible, quality new toy like the Friends theme is very short sighted IMO.

A common theme I have read on this thread is time frame. What's the difference? These sets are just like every other LEGO set. They will appreciate after EOL, plateau, then drop in value. They are not meant to be 15-20 year investments...very few are. Point is, buy them flip them, if you want to diversify and make some money.

But I can tell you one thing, LEGO promotes collecting and investing in subtle ways. Today we have Olivia's House as a main set. Tomorrow, we can have Stephanie's House. How about Mia's House in another year or two? See the pattern? What' this? They all line up together like a town block, like some other popular theme we all love(Modulars). But there's only one problem for little Janie 4 years from now, she wants ALL THE HOUSES! So what does Janie do? "DAAAAADDDDDYYY!!!! I WANT ALL THE HOUSES, BUT TARGET DOESN'T SELL THEM ANYMORE.....I WAAAAAAANNNNT THEM! I NNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED THEM!"

What does a smart Dad do? Goes onto eBay and buys her Olivia's House for $400 to complete the street...at 5 times the MSRP. This is my vision for this theme. You don't have to agree. There are many other possible winners in the LEGO investment arena. I hear some people like the Haunted House.... ;-)

a smart Dad tells her daughter if she is not happy with her 1 house, he can take this one away aswell and she will have nothing instead of 4 overpriced houses :)

Oh wait, I just came from unspoiled generation of children despite being so young compared to many around here.

I agree with you about collecting and investing promoting by LEGO, it is a subtle thing ;) you're 100% right there

MR. CAP IS BACK!!! GOOD POINT ED. I KNOW AND SEE WHAT YOUR SAYING. AND I AGREE WITH YOU 100%. AND IT ALL COMES DOWN TO WHAT WE ALL FEEL PUTTING OUR MONEY ON. I LIKE TO DIVERSIFY AND LOOK AT A SET FROM A POINT OF, WILL THIS SET BE A HOT SET. I KNEW THAT MONSTER FIGHTERS SET THE ZOMBIE WOULD BE A HOT SET BECAUSE ZOMIE IN GENERAL IS THE IN THING RIGHT NOW...BY THE WAY I'M A BIG THE WALKING DEAD FAN. BUT I DO SEE WHAT YOU ARE SAYING ABOUT THE PARENTS WILL BUY THEIR DAUGHTERS WHATEVER THEY NEED TO COMPLETE THE SET. OVERALL FRIENDS ARE VERY FRIENDLY TO MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT!!! ;) MAN THAT FRIENDS BEAUTY SALON IS HOT. I HAVE A FEELING THOSE LITTLE FRIENDS SERIES 1 ANIMAL POLY BAGS WILL DOUBLE OR TRIPLE IN VALUE IN NO TIME. I LIKE THEM BECAUSE THEY DON'T TAKE TOO MUCH ROOM. ANOTHER FRIENDS SET I THINK WILL BE A WINNER IS STEPHANIE'S COOL CONVERTIBLE. THEY HAD IT FOR $10 AND I CAN DEFINITELY SEE THAT SET SELLING FOR $30-$40 THIS XMAS. :) IT'S ALL ABOUT THE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ NOW ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS...CAN'T WE ALL BE FRIENDS!!!!!! ;)

BOTTOM LINE IS WHAT PEOPLE PAY FOR DOESN'T MATTER. JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE PAYS $400 FOR AN OLIVIA'S HOUSE DOESN'T MAKE THEM DUMB. AND DEFINITELY IF THEY ARE RICH AND BUYING YOUR SET THAT DEFINITELY DOESN'T MATTER ALCARIN. BETTER FOR US AS INVESTORS IMO, AND EMES YOU ARE RIGHT MONEY SPENDS THE SAME REGARDLESS. AS SECONDARY MARKET SELLERS...IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT PEOPLE ARE BUYING THE SETS FOR AS LONG AS WE ARE MAKING A PROFIT WE ARE HAPPY WITH, THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS...WHETHER ITS 10% PROFIT OR 1000% PROFIT. WE AS A BUSINESS INVESTOR WILL SELL FOR WHAT WE FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH. THEY'RE TIMES I HAD TO SELL SOME SW SETS AND REINVEST THEM INTO OTHER THEMES THAT ARE BETTER AND HOTTER. NOT ALL SW THEMES ARE HOT.

BOTTOM LINE IS WHAT PEOPLE PAY FOR DOESN'T MATTER. JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE PAYS $400 FOR AN OLIVIA'S HOUSE DOESN'T MAKE THEM DUMB. AND DEFINITELY IF THEY ARE RICH AND BUYING YOUR SET THAT DEFINITELY DOESN'T MATTER ALCARIN. BETTER FOR US AS INVESTORS IMO, AND EMES YOU ARE RIGHT MONEY SPENDS THE SAME REGARDLESS. AS SECONDARY MARKET SELLERS...IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT PEOPLE ARE BUYING THE SETS FOR AS LONG AS WE ARE MAKING A PROFIT WE ARE HAPPY WITH, THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS...WHETHER ITS 10% PROFIT OR 1000% PROFIT. WE AS A BUSINESS INVESTOR WILL SELL FOR WHAT WE FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH. THEY'RE TIMES I HAD TO SELL SOME SW SETS AND REINVEST THEM INTO OTHER THEMES THAT ARE BETTER AND HOTTER. NOT ALL SW THEMES ARE HOT.

You may have some good points and opinions. Unfortunately I skip over them because the caps is so hard to read. Maybe it is because I'm on my phone. Maybe it's because I feel like I am being yelled at when I try to read it :)

I am working with another member...Veegs, on an article about Friends. Some of the returns are amazing.

On topic...It's like the HE MAN WOMEN HATERS CLUB around here. I think some of the guys around here are upset that LEGO sets with bunnies and doggies are trouncing on their big bad Super Star Destroyers in the appreciation battle. One for the pink, aqua and purple.

This is a new era. You can welcome the female population and their sets to the LEGO party, or you can insult and degrade the opposite sex and their Friends theme, saying that they are incapable of collecting like a man or be solid investments like the boys sets. Regardless, the women are here to stay and I welcome them(and their very cool sets) to our site.

I am working with another member...Veegs, on an article about Friends. Some of the returns are amazing.

On topic...It's like the HE MAN WOMEN HATERS CLUB around here. I think some of the guys around here are upset that LEGO sets with bunnies and doggies are trouncing on their big bad Super Star Destroyers in the appreciation battle. One for the pink, aqua and purple.

This is a new era. You can welcome the female population and their sets to the LEGO party, or you can insult and degrade the opposite sex and their Friends theme, saying that they are incapable of collecting like a man or be solid investments like the boys sets. Regardless, the women are here to stay and I welcome them(and their very cool sets) to our site.

Noone is doing HATER CLUB, I am just discussing and giving my views which more than obvious is not welcome and should only read views of others, I will take the notice.

There were LEGO girly sets since ages ago which you should've known as an investor i assume

Noone is doing HATER CLUB, I am just discussing and giving my views which more than obvious is not welcome and should only read views of others, I will take the notice.

There were LEGO girly sets since ages ago which you should've known as an investor i assume

Huge difference in quality between the Friends theme and other LEGO girl themes IMO(or competitors). LEGO has put a lot of effort into these sets and I personally think they hit the right mix of a LEGO building set and feminine qualities. It's not too far over the top and even as a male, I would enjoy building one of these sets and appreciate the various features.

I always appreciate opposing views. It makes for quality forum threads. It really doesn't matter to me if you want to invest in Friends sets. There are thousands of ways to invest in LEGO and make money. I just wanted to make a case for Friends and for new females entering the hobby. As a father of a spoiled 3 year old son, I will buy my son something expensive and frivolous, if that's what he wants and brings a smile to his face. I don't know if you have kids yet at 24, but if you don't, one day you might understand my thought process and how it relates to potential buyers of Friends sets.

Huge difference in quality between the Friends theme and other LEGO girl themes IMO(or competitors). LEGO has put a lot of effort into these sets and I personally think they hit the right mix of a LEGO building set and feminine qualities. It's not too far over the top and even as a male, I would enjoy building one of these sets and appreciate the various features.

I always appreciate opposing views. It makes for quality forum threads. It really doesn't matter to me if you want to invest in Friends sets. There are thousands of ways to invest in LEGO and make money. I just wanted to make a case for Friends and for new females entering the hobby. As a father of a spoiled 3 year old son, I will buy my son something expensive and frivolous, if that's what he wants and brings a smile to his face. I don't know if you have kids yet at 24, but if you don't, one day you might understand my thought process and how it relates to potential buyers of Friends sets.

I agree that early girly sets were just well LEGO sets for boys and girls with a little feminine touch :P. So i overall agree with that, those are the best LEGO girly themed sets period.

Even if i would want to invest in Friends I could not do it, you might question why, and the answer is because my country shops are overpricing every single LEGO set period.

If i just put example upon here.

LEGO Friends Butterfly Beauty Shop 25.99

I agree that early girly sets were just well LEGO sets for boys and girls with a little feminine touch :P. So i overall agree with that, those are the best LEGO girly themed sets period.

Even if i would want to invest in Friends I could not do it, you might question why, and the answer is because my country shops are overpricing every single LEGO set period.

If i just put example upon here.

LEGO Friends Butterfly Beauty Shop 25.99

I think you overestimate the women population in general. you might have a few women collectors of LEGO but majority is male, and is see no real life proof of this changing in anytime during the future. In local shops i still see male buying LEGO (even friends) for daughters, not feminist women.

Perhaps. But when it comes to the fairer sex, I'd rather overestimate than underestimate. (If I had to choose.)

If you overestimate, well life goes on and you go somewhat unscathed.

When you underestimate, you get caught off guard and it takes a moment to realize she just kicked a fieldgoal with your balls.

It may be a while before the balance of men & women collectors or investors of LEGO even out or at least get very close, but I can't see anything that would lead to the contrary of it just being 'a guy thing'. If there is one thing I've learned from the mental characteristics of people in general, there really isn't that much of a difference between a man and a woman besides the physical.

Man this thread went on a wierd tangent, didn't it? Originally was a talk about sales figures and then snowballed into a odd discussion of female investors with some comments that sounded a little sexist like this next one.

male collecting LEGO has a strong history, and so is a valid basis for speculation but women psychology is completely different and based way more towards shiny and new than old and valuable atleast in LEGO.

Granted you are referring to just LEGO, but the comment itself about women psychology in general is not true. My sister is a woman that would contribute to the notion of only going for what is 'new & shiny'; however, her friend (a woman) was completely the opposite. Heck, look at how many men just have to get that brand new car or tv or next big thing, the same way as Carrie from "Sex & the City" was about shoes.

Besides some minute details, there really isn't a difference between men & women.

Curse my sense of equality.