Toys R Us LOL high prices thread

nolanfan34

6 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

"People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

:devil:

Come on, stock manipulation, clearance returns, etc. are all perfectly acceptable ways to conduct business, but there's a line in the sand when someone wants to charge above retail for a set while in production. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mos_Eisley said:

Come on, stock manipulation, clearance returns, etc. are all perfectly acceptable ways to conduct business, but there's a line in the sand when someone wants to charge above retail for a set while in production. 

What line? :dontknow:  Last time I check Hatchimals and NES remake are all still in production.   These are at least 2x MSRP right now on eBay.

The (free) market should decide if pricing is acceptable or not.  Why single out 1 seller for its pricing methodology while other sellers do exactly that? 

33 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

What line? :dontknow:  Last time I check Hatchimals and NES remake are all still in production.   These are at least 2x MSRP right now on eBay.

The (free) market should decide if pricing is acceptable or not.  Why single out 1 seller for its pricing methodology while other sellers do exactly that? 

Sorry if my sarcasm was missed. I have no problem with retailers charging whatever they can. I think it's ironic that someone who takes advantage of retailers in every way possible would have a problem with it. 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, TheOrcKing said:

In all the years Brickpicker has been online never have I thought that I would see "screw" in a thread title. Well, whoomp there it is. :logik:

In all the years i've been alive I never thought I'd see batman wearing whatever it is he's wearing in @exciter1's post; but there it is, seared into my eyeballs.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mos_Eisley said:

Sorry if my sarcasm was missed. I have no problem with retailers charging whatever they can. I think it's ironic that someone who takes advantage of retailers in every way possible would have a problem with it. 

I have no problem with TRU's pricing practices.  They're just silly.  My line in the sand, that they have crossed, spray painted over, and built their fulfillment center in Groveport, OH on top of, is PUT IN THE DAMN BOX THE ITEMS YOUR CUSTOMER ORDERED.  Nothing less, nothing more.  Oh, and when you inevitably fail at that, ANSWER THE PHONE.  This is a busy season for everyone.  But walmart.com answers the phone in under 5 minutes, target.com doesn't have to answer it at all since they never screw up, and... TRU answers the phone only when the customer calling has reached the maximum possible non-lethal blood pressure level.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, GhostDad said:

I have no problem with TRU's pricing practices.  They're just silly.  My line in the sand, that they have crossed, spray painted over, and built their fulfillment center in Groveport, OH on top of, is PUT IN THE DAMN BOX THE ITEMS YOUR CUSTOMER ORDERED.  Nothing less, nothing more.  Oh, and when you inevitably fail at that, ANSWER THE PHONE.  This is a busy season for everyone.  But walmart.com answers the phone in under 5 minutes, target.com doesn't have to answer it at all since they never screw up, and... TRU answers the phone only when the customer calling has reached the maximum possible non-lethal blood pressure level.

They could at least rotate out the hold music to more than a couple of cheesy songs.  I think they do it on purpose to encourage you to hang up after 30 minutes.

TRU Customer Service Phrase Meanings:

"Here's a reference case # for you" = "I know you're going to call back or give up because nothing will get done after this call.  But if you do call back, give them this number so the next operator can play solitaire for five minutes while claiming to 'look into your case'"

"Please allow 3 to 5 business days for this to process" = "Now go away before I taunt you a second time-a"

"Someone will call you back" = "It's so adorable that you think I care and that I'm actually trying to help you.  Of course nobody will call you back because nobody likes you.  I'm the president of the 'we couldn't give a s**t about you' fan club."

"Whom do I have the pleasure of speaking to today?" = "Can you believe I get paid to be a useless a-hat?  This is like a government job -- I can't get fired because they actually have classes on how to be the world's most careless person. Even Comcast told me I was too insensitive for them when they let me go."

• Like 2

As we all know usually they put the new sets out at least for a few weeks prior to marking them up as is the case with the 2017 Nexo, Creator, Ninjago, Arch, technic and more at my TRU. What surprised me is that they had sets out today with hard street dates of 1/1 like AA. I looked at buying them at $180 but when others already have them listed at $249 OBO not worth it for a 5 pound set. I was lucky and was first with 70627 and flipped them for $220, paid $72, was going to get more today since there are still only 2 sellers but for some reason they decide to make their 5% profit per sale and move on. 

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Noticed this past week the DC Super Hero Girls High School, which was $79.99 before Christmas, is now $99.99 at TRU.  Meanwhile, at the nearby Walmart, it's $68.  They must have eaten some bad fruitcake over the holidays.

I'm assuming they want everyone to shop there on TRUTH/TRUST days only, that way they can have the appropriate number of staff on the schedule for those days.

I'm assuming they want everyone to shop there on TRUTH/TRUST days only, that way they can have the appropriate number of staff on the schedule for those days.

I assumed it was to push us online where we don't get promos or TRUTH and their labor/space was cheaper. But seriously, I'm guessing it was a last minute holiday shopper/gift card tax that will be gone next month.

4 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

I assumed it was to pushI us online where we don't get promos or TRUTH and their labor/space was cheaper. But seriously, I'm guessing it was a last minute holiday shopper/gift card tax that will be gone next month.

I think they have a corporate strategy to sucker in the suckers the days before Christmas who have no other choice, but to buy at exorbitant prices.  After Christmas, they take a month to soak up as many gift card suckers as they can who don't want to wait out a deal, or again, don't know any better.  Shoppers are smarter now though, for the most part.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I think they have a corporate strategy to sucker in the suckers the days before Christmas who have no other choice, but to buy at exorbitant prices.  After Christmas, they take a month to soak up as many gift card suckers as they can who don't want to wait out a deal, or again, don't know any better.  Shoppers are smarter now though, for the most part.

Agreed.  That makes a lot of sense for them.  I would expect sometime around mid-February we'll see prices reset again, and coupons or deals start to happen again.  Maybe Feb 1, even.  But not before then.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I've bought most of my kid(s) legos at TRU because they are the only store (that I know of) that price match from amazon or target. Their listed prices tend to be pretty steep, but since I match the prices using the amazon app at the register I never pay retail for them. Of course, I would save a few bucks if I bought them on amazon (no taxes) but part of the fun is having my kids go and pick out things at the store. We don't do this frequently, but when we do, I know the price matching will reduce my price.