LEGO Masters TV series

16 minutes ago, MusiKyle said:

I don't think he could be a set designer for Lego as that would make him an ineligible participant for the show.  It looks like (based on his website) he was the designer of "Stitch" (from Lilo and Stitch) that was on Lego Ideas.  He also does do commissioned work, so he's good enough to get paid for it.

https://www.tylerclites.com/

Ah i see. Yeah kind of confusing how they list their occupations. I guess typically when i see a brand name listed in somebodies occupation i assume they are an employee of that brand. Thought that it seemed really unfair to have multiple LEGO employees peppered in the contestants.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey_Dollars said:

Ah i see. Yeah kind of confusing how they list their occupations. I guess typically when i see a brand name listed in somebodies occupation i assume they are an employee of that brand. Thought that it seemed really unfair to have multiple LEGO employees peppered in the contestants.

He works for Build Better Bricks AKA the old Brick Show

• Like 1

I enjoy the show, but wasn't all that thrilled with it (but will probably watch every episodes).  It's a little too much on the drama side (like every show)  I wish they would at least spend more time on showing the finished products.  Showing build techniques would be nice, but I can see how time consuming that would be.  But if they would spend more than 5-10 seconds showing the details of what someone spent 14 hours building would be nice. 

But it did inspire me to break out my legos again after 5 years (if not more).  Started on an amusement park after seeing the first episode.  My biggest issue is that I didn't sort anything after the last break down (a large two masted ship) and since then my brother gave me about 30lbs or so of assorted stuff from a bunch of sets his kids had when he moved and I dumped them all mixed in a giant box of stuff I had.  So have been spending the last 5 days sorting and finding the stuff I need.

Once again, I felt like the second show was a bit rushed at the end.  At least two teams weren't really highlighted and their end product was basically dismissed.  Sadly, it's like if you're not on top or the bottom then you don't really get air time.

Sam and Jessica are definitely a weak team but I can't make up my mind which is the weaker teammate.  I'd like to vote Sam off the show after his whinny, insulting, and demeaning behavior.  I get he was frustrated, but wow... I can't wait for him to be gone.  Sadly, the show seems to focus a lot of attention on their team.  If they leave, I'm not sure where the drama will be found next.

One thing this show is definitely putting on display - LEGO has interest from a wide demographic and isn't just for kids.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CyberVinnie said:

I haven't even watch this show yet, although I caught parts of the first episode and wasn't too terribly impressed.   They're sitting on my DVR.   Should I not waste my time?   

You can knock it out in 20 minutes MAX on the DVR.  The one guy with the green alien build is at another level then all of the other contestants.  They should have had Jang on as a contestant.  

• Like 3

What had me perplexed this episode was Mayim Bialic. It's almost like she wasn't a celebrity guest, but rather a "Hey let's find the nearest celebrity on the studio lot that has some free time to just be around to make things interesting." She even left before they were done. This show is slowly becoming a mess.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MrToes16 said:

What had me perplexed this episode was Mayim Bialic. It's almost like she wasn't a celebrity guest, but rather a "Hey let's find the nearest celebrity on the studio lot that has some free time to just be around to make things interesting." She even left before they were done. This show is slowly becoming a mess.

I agree Mayim Bialic's seemingly sudden need to leave seemed very odd.

I still think it's been fun to watch.

5 minutes ago, MrToes16 said:

The only motive for her to be on the show was to promote her new show....whatever that was. My kids were like...."Hey...it's Blossom!" She added nothing to the show what-so-ever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrToes16 said:

It's like they are trying to figure out what to show us while people are building, not realizing the building is what we want to watch.  We're still in though, cheering on the theme. 

Weird Mayim left before the end.

• Like 1

I think commenting on some of the contestants attitudes, behaviors, styles, demeanors, etc is all for not.  It's all staged drama so how these contestants are in real life is a whole different story anyway.  Given that, it's still one of the worst staged reality setups I've seen (not that I've seen many).  The crying couple, the two not getting along, the hazing between contestants . . . pretty bad.  I think a good reality show has to based on some reality and I don't feel it here.  There are a few contestants who obviously know what they are doing, some who are just ok and some who don't belong on the same stage.  We already know who the best designers are, the rest is just drama fluff.

My wife and I used to watch the cooking and home designer reality shows back in the day and it felt like we were watching actual contests.  The drama, mistakes and challenges presented were actually believable and consistent with what could happen.  I feel like Lego Masters is Lego's reaction to Ninjago when they did Chima.  What "they thought" was so great about Ninjago they did 10x for Chima.  So instead of deciding to do a great Lego contest show, whey decided to do what "they think" makes a good reality show.  The end result is it's just not authentic.  Even the non-lego fan will realize it's not a real contest here.

I hope the show adjusts and makes it, but I really doubt it the way it's going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iahawks550 said:

The building is really cool. But that's 10% of the show. 

I agree.  I wish the show spent more time showing building techniques.  I.E. Instead of showing a completed brick sphere using SNOT, why not show the sphere being put together so everyone can see what they mean by it.  It's almost like they need some non-LEGO people reviewing the show.

I came across this article (https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2020-02-12/lego-masters-fox-will-arnett-amy-corbett).  The article itself wasn't all that interesting (so you can scan through it quickly) but the links to some of the participants was insightful.  Like Sam and Jessica.  Although they both have 2D artwork, Sam is the only one who has created 3D works.  But even at that, he really only has one set that I would consider interesting.  But after seeing their two building resumes, His comment in eps 2, "It's like you don't understand LEGO at all," actually makes more sense.  Her art is ONLY 2D.  While very cool, she's a designer, not a builder.  

I now kind of wonder if the show purposefully placed the two weakest builders together (Sam and Jessica).  More than once Arnett made the comment to the pair that they have never built together before.  After they get kicked off the show I doubt they will ever again.

Instead of the goofy filler from will, I'd prefer either short videos on building techniques being seen, mini-bios, maybe visiting a Brickfair, or an art exhibit using LEGO, etc. Instead we get Arnett being GOB from 'Arrested Development'. Create more AFOLs, but I get it, instead Fox wants to build viewership for their other shows.

Edited by hockeyweasel
  • Like 1

saw both episode.

meh.

What it needs to improve afol creds; 5 minutes committed to the winning build that show fast forward time lapse of entire build w/ builder insights.  That alone will address 50% of the complaints posted so far (take the 5 minute away from forced Arnett commentary.

bring in "quickfire" contests, maybe poly scale or micro build concepts...so kids can imitate a simple but creative build

The builds are way too elaborate and for many, comes off busy...break it up into small contests

too much focus on "story" the lady judge and her "expertise" is basically LEGO pushing a narrative...when we think LEGO no one is wondering wow I wonder what that MF is thinking   

too much personality in the beginning...I don't care of about you until you show me some talent to make me curious....learn from the successful shows...ability first, personality later...otherwise I feel like the personaities are forced on us...and its too early to care.

I finally got a chance to watch the first two episodes and think they are doing a great job.  It's fun, I like seeing what the people come up with and overall I think most of the contestants are entertaining enough to watch (I ignore the drama garbage on any of these shows). This show is not about tutorials and building techniques, there is no time for that.  If anything, they would include that on a website or a YouTube clip.  None of these competition shows show you the proper way to design with sugar or properly sand something.   The host is fun, that stage is awesome and I think they people from LEGO offer good advice.  Everyone gets something different out of it, I am looking forward to the next show.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I finally got a chance to watch the first two episodes and think they are doing a great job.  It's fun, I like seeing what the people come up with and overall I think most of the contestants are entertaining enough to watch (I ignore the drama garbage on any of these shows). This show is not about tutorials and building techniques, there is no time for that.  If anything, they would include that on a website or a YouTube clip.  None of these competition shows show you the proper way to design with sugar or properly sand something.   The host is fun, that stage is awesome and I think they people from LEGO offer good advice.  Everyone gets something different out of it, I am looking forward to the next show.
Then you've never seen the Great British Baking Show on Netflix. I learn something new with every baker they show, and not only about their personal lives. Watched some episodes last night and only wished they made LEGO Masters more like that show. Each builder giving a 30 sec blurb about how they constructed a specific part of their build. A little background on how to do SNOT, or how to reinforce a construction, or on how to gear down your bumper cars .... Sigh.

13 minutes ago, Phil B said:
33 minutes ago, Jeff Mack said:

Then you've never seen the Great British Baking Show on Netflix. I learn something new with every baker they show, and not only about their personal lives. Watched some episodes last night and only wished they made LEGO Masters more like that show. Each builder giving a 30 sec blurb about how they constructed a specific part of their build. A little background on how to do SNOT, or how to reinforce a construction, or on how to gear down your bumper cars .... Sigh.

BINGO. I would MUCH prefer a layout like GBBS. Imagine 12 separate builders who have to construct 2 smaller builds on day 1 and a larger one on day 2. Lets call them:

1:Theme Challenge: Prepared (build a display with preset limitations but knowing the theme for the weekend)

2: Theme Challenge: Surprise/Limited item build based on preset criteria, mystery to judges who made the design)

3 Theme Challenge: Little to no restrictions on outcome, all-day build.

Then they could throw in random building partners with other team mates and have them switch up.

I think we all know who the final 3 teams will be for this season. Those builders are just a step above everyone else that it's too predictable. Having it set-up like GBBS would allow a larger pool of similarly talented builders that are forced to work with other builders they may have never cooperated with. THAT would be the only drama needed.

Edited by CosmicSpeed
  • Like 1