75252 - UCS: Imperial Star Destroyer (2019)

TargetZero

All photos visible here!
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/imperial-star-destroyer-75252

75252 Imperial Star Destroyer

Ages 16+. 4784 pieces

US $699.99 – CA $849.99 – DE €699.99 – UK £649.99 – FR €699.99 – DK 5299DKK --$1099.99 AUD

Own the ultimate Imperial Star Destroyer!

Build and display an icon of the Galactic Empire – the Devastator. With over 4,700 LEGO® pieces, this Ultimate Collector Series 75252 Imperial Star Destroyer model captures all the authentic details of the starship as it appeared in the opening scene of Star Wars: A New Hope, including swiveling guns, a tilting radar dish, huge engine exhausts, intricate surface detailing and of course a buildable scale version of the Rebels’ Tantive IV starship to chase down.

This galactic civil war UCS set also includes a display stand with informational fact plaque and 2 Imperial minifigures, making it the perfect LEGO Star Wars collectible for discerning fans.

• Includes Imperial Officer and Imperial crew member minifigures.
  • The Devastator Imperial Star Destroyer model features swiveling guns, a tilting radar dish, huge engine exhausts and intricate surface detailing.
  • Also includes an attachable, buildable scale version Tantive IV starship for added Star Wars: A New Hope authenticity.
  • With a display stand with informational fact plaque for the ultimate display piece.
  • Also comes with 2 blaster pistol weapons.
  • This Ultimate Collector Series set has 4,784 pieces.
  • Inspire unforgettable Star Wars: A New Hope moments.
  • The perfect LEGO® Star Wars™ collectible for fans of the Star Wars saga.
  • UCS model on display stand measures over 44cm high, 110cm long and 66cm wide, and over 37cm high without stand.

https://www.bricktastic.nl/lego-star-wars/lego-star-wars-75252-ucs-imperial-star-destroyer-kopen-alles-wat-je-moet-weten/

557554360_UCSISDbox1.thumb.png.8a8ce9ab7b1679a474a82dd9099380ba.png

1572851754_UCSISDbox2.thumb.png.1ec6cb1f6835a8e11022cbcfd33053d9.png

Edited by Darth_Raichu
Combined all info into 1 stickied post
  • Like 7

I like it.  Looks great.  The Designer, Henrik Andersen stated the set was designed to not sag under weight / gravity like the prev. model (10030) and can be moved in 1 piece.  I really want to see a video of someone trying to move it w/o plates falling off.  I'm fine w/ the lack of play features and minifigures.  The hanger bay is a nice feature. 

10030 was released in 2002 and I think retired in late 2007 / early 2008. the MSRP for that set was $270, weighed 20lbs, and had 1,300 less parts. 

With inflation, 10030 bought in 2002 would cost $385 today.  $270 in 2008 is about $321.75 today.   

At a $700 MSRP, I think it will collect dust in warehouses after the initial 3-4 weeks.  I just don't see people spending $700 on this set.  Maybe if the next film is good, it could help sell more .

• Like 3

Has anyone  been able to figure out the justification for the $700 price tag on this set?  Is it the Technic pieces?  Very large bricks / plates?  Or is it some formula based upon weight since the box looks to be the same size as the UCS MF?  

The designer stated in the first 45 seconds of the video that there were no new parts created for this set, but it is the first time some parts have been done in grey.  Surely that wouldn't have jacked the price point up.

Has anyone  been able to figure out the justification for the $700 price tag on this set?  Is it the Technic pieces?  Very large bricks / plates?  Or is it some formula based upon weight since the box looks to be the same size as the UCS MF?  
The designer stated in the first 45 seconds of the video that there were no new parts created for this set, but it is the first time some parts have been done in grey.  Surely that wouldn't have jacked the price point up.

Starwars tax

Sent from my SM-G975F using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

8 hours ago, Malachi1984 said:

Starwars tax

Sent from my SM-G975F using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

Star Wars Tax aside, we have seen many large sets in the "10 cents per piece" price range. Of course costs can be driven up by high amounts of minifigs, new molds, or "large plate" parts....but given what we now know about this UCS ISD, I would have expected (wished?) for $499.99.

At $700 this will rot on shelves after the holidays. Even my Lego Star Wars obsessed coworker is not going to get this on day-1.

My big question is "when will the UCS MILF retire"?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, eliminator said:

Star Wars Tax aside, we have seen many large sets in the "10 cents per piece" price range. Of course costs can be driven up by high amounts of minifigs, new molds, or "large plate" parts....but given what we now know about this UCS ISD, I would have expected (wished?) for $499.99.

At $700 this will rot on shelves after the holidays. Even my Lego Star Wars obsessed coworker is not going to get this on day-1.

My big question is "when will the UCS MILF retire"?

A LEGO Store employee told me that the MF will retire soon, who knows if it’s legit, but I would expect sales on it soon.

sure.  plates and cylinders are usually more expensive elements than standard bricks. They are also using existing parts but making them in light and dark gray.  add in the Disney  IP fee.    It will be interesting to see what 75252's  $ "parts to weight ratio" compares o similar sets.  

11 hours ago, exracer327 said:

3 hours ago, jaisonline said:

sure.  plates and cylinders are usually more expensive elements than standard bricks. They are also using existing parts but making them in light and dark gray.  add in the Disney  IP fee.    It will be interesting to see what 75252's  $ "parts to weight ratio" compares o similar sets.  

I've seen a few posts comparing the price / piece and it's easily in the top three of the highest of ANY UCS Star Wars set.  Although the other ones are all much older and have very unique parts.  The others are : UCS Tie interceptor - 7181 @ $.142 / piece and Special Edition Naboo Starfighter - 10026 @  $.214 / piece.  75252 is $.146 / piece.  Both of the others have very unique pieces - canopy for the tie interceptor and chrome for the naboo starfighter.  As you acknowledged, this set has existing parts but in new colors (light and dark grey). 

Based upon the Death Star jumping $100 post-Disney (75159 is $.125 / piece vs 10188 was $.105 / piece), that might account for about $150 of this set's cost.  Actually, take $150 off and that would make it around $.115 / piece and $550.  That would be a more reasonable price point - about 22.5% off.

Based upon weights, I ran some calcs, but I don't think it's as useful.  The UCS MF 75192 is $.106 / piece and $27.03 / lb.   New Tantive IV 75244 is $.113 / piece and $33.33 / lb.  I kept running some other figures based upon weight but it goes all over the place.  I.E. 10240 UCS X-Wing 1500+ pieces (pre-Disney) ($.123 / piece but $88+ / lb.)

Regardless of the Disney tax; didn't the UCS MF sell out day one for VIPs and basically remain sold out through Christmas?  Guess we'll see how the fan base digests this one.

1 minute ago, exracer327 said:

I've seen a few posts comparing the price / piece and it's easily in the top three of the highest of ANY UCS Star Wars set.  Although the other ones are all much older and have very unique parts.  The others are : UCS Tie interceptor - 7181 @ $.142 / piece and Special Edition Naboo Starfighter - 10026 @  $.214 / piece.  75252 is $.146 / piece.  Both of the others have very unique pieces - canopy for the tie interceptor and chrome for the naboo starfighter.  As you acknowledged, this set has existing parts but in new colors (light and dark grey). 

Based upon the Death Star jumping $100 post-Disney (75159 is $.125 / piece vs 10188 was $.105 / piece), that might account for about $150 of this set's cost.  Actually, take $150 off and that would make it around $.115 / piece and $550.  That would be a more reasonable price point - about 22.5% off.

Based upon weights, I ran some calcs, but I don't think it's as useful.  The UCS MF 75192 is $.106 / piece and $27.03 / lb.   New Tantive IV 75244 is $.113 / piece and $33.33 / lb.  I kept running some other figures based upon weight but it goes all over the place.  I.E. 10240 UCS X-Wing 1500+ pieces (pre-Disney) ($.123 / piece but $88+ / lb.)

Regardless of the Disney tax; didn't the UCS MF sell out day one for VIPs and basically remain sold out through Christmas?  Guess we'll see how the fan base digests this one.

I saw some of those comparisons too.. anyways I incline more to comparison based on the weight of the bricks. the "material" still costs the same irrespective whether you make plates or 1x1 circular bolts

• Like 1

The best thing about this price tag is that 10030 value won't fall quite as far - used might hang around $500 which is what I paid for mine last year. Now, do I finally build it before I cash in and trade or do I not even bother?  LOL

Anyway yeah I'm not picking this up until I find it for half a G, no matter how pretty it is.

now, as for the price.. consider it would be based on a UCS MF (roughly 10 cents per brick).. so it comes to 3713 USD.. Maybe they would throw in some discount and make it 3499 USD? More interesting would be the packaging and "delivery / collection" options.. if MF at 12 kg came in with a special wheels / rollers.. imagine this having 5x that much .. or maybe they would split it into 5 boxes..   :)

Edited by crayxlp

5 minutes ago, lego rules said:

Can we get back on topic?  MOC's with even 10K pieces will always look more appealing than the TLG version.  They will never do anything like this and the amount of buyers who would buy this are minuscule.

so .. whats the topic? Seems like you wanted to add something relevant.

On this nice website, I went from lurking, to active optimist, to articles writing, back to active sceptical, to lurker, to out, back to lurker, and now to this post... 

Ahhh... still remember buying SSD 10221 at 300e/p... 6 months after retirement at 450e...

anyhow...

It will be interesting to see how high investors will stock the set. 

The snow speeder UCS has enough inventory to remain flattish for 4 years AT LEAST before the price should pick up... ceteris paribus. That seems too long for such big space-mongering sets.

Based on the bearish comments in this section, I guess we should see some disinterest showing sooner than later?

But then there are more big online players now with huge depots full of sets - maybe only a recession can flush them out?

it's difficult indeed. I never saw our dearest moderator so bluntly negative either. Even more a bear than MR negative himself (ValE ?)

I'm watching and waiting for that window of improvement...

• Alpinemaps changed the title to 75252 - UCS: Imperial Star Destroyer (2019)