71044 - Disney Train and Station

brickvoyeur

5 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

also note that these were at 30% discount BF LEGO Shop at Home in the year they first came out...and I would suspect something similar as they near retirement...but there's a good chance LEGO opts to keep these around to pair w/ the "ageless" (read, never gonna retire) Cinderella Castle set.

just saying 30% off is nice, but I, personally wouldn't make a trip just for that as it's not that great in the greater scheme of things

Haha yeah you are probably right that they will never retire. I got them both for my own build so the discount is good for me. Definitely can't give advice for investors as I have no clue what I'm doing I that respect! 

2 minutes ago, jdr159 said:

Haha yeah you are probably right that they will never retire. I got them both for my own build so the discount is good for me. Definitely can't give advice for investors as I have no clue what I'm doing I that respect! 

IF it retires like a normal set; then it will likely hold value and appreciate well (not readily hoarded due to high RRP and also not particularly popular) mainly for the key Disney MFs and trains always do better than avg...but there is the downside of a long hold.

33 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

also note that these were at 30% discount BF LEGO Shop at Home in the year they first came out...and I would suspect something similar as they near retirement...but there's a good chance LEGO opts to keep these around to pair w/ the "ageless" (read, never gonna retire) Cinderella Castle set.

just saying 30% off is nice, but I, personally wouldn't make a trip just for that as it's not that great in the greater scheme of things

That was the BF sale we were mentioning earlier.

I think it depends.  They have a WDW Castle, and a Disneyland Train.  Question will be whether they want 3 D2C sets on the market, or if they come up with another big D2C set for a different park (Shanghai Disneyland to appeal to the Chinese market?) or if they want to start rotating between WDW and Disneyland.

I think they should do Architecture style of each of the Castles in the theme parks. Something rather detailed, but desktop/display worthy. The rumor Ive seen is a Disney Ice Castle, but I have no idea what one that would be and if its even going to pan out.

Edited by CosmicSpeed
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Fcbarcelona101 said:

Nice. Not really sure what to think about this one for reselling, but may need to get my personal copy soon…

Just ordered to put one on back order. Added to get sailboat and helicopter to ship.

Edited by melting
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

I should've picked up more when it was 20% off soon after release. I thought this was going to hang around like the Disney Castle...which is still hanging around. 

Castle was going to retire in the summer of 2019. Until someone realized how bad it'd be to retire their Disney flagship set.

1 hour ago, oneknightr said:

I should've picked up more when it was 20% off soon after release. I thought this was going to hang around like the Disney Castle...which is still hanging around. 

I bought a bunch on that same deal and considered it a bonehead move afterwards...Maybe this overpriced set will payoff in the end after all. 

• Like 1

Only 18 sold in the last 90 days on eBay but I know wait for the FOMO. 

#305,451 in Toys & Games 

The Train Station is a very weak build it would have been better to have 2 sets a proper station and train. But then again Cloud City was a horrible build only second to AoH. 

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

so when it gets even more expensive post retirement THEN it will sell better? 🤨

Possibly. Right now it is readily available, but in the future it has the chance to become someones white whale.

I also don't think it will sell better post retirement, just for more money.

3 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Only 18 sold in the last 90 days on eBay but I know wait for the FOMO. 

#305,451 in Toys & Games 

The Train Station is a very weak build it would have been better to have 2 sets a proper station and train. But then again Cloud City was a horrible build only second to AoH. 

so are you saying it is a good investment ? 

sounds like your undecided on if it is or isn’t 

Edited by starwarsxpress

19 minutes ago, starwarsxpress said:

so are you saying it is a good investment ? 

sounds like your undecided on if it is or isn’t 

other than the standard high price, big set/storage/shipping issues; whether this set does well post-retirement will come down to fear/risk of a re-release and lasting appeal. It's already a given that it's "lightly hoarded".

After about 3-5 years; a lot of the flack about this set's quality will be in the rearview.  If it stays retired, the target buyer (Disney enthusiast) sees this set and loves it then it's a $600+ set.  I read back at the first few pages of comments and the set was REALLY well taken by folks here... the first impressions based on pics was a consensus homerun....even the price was acceptable given motor functions.  I actually think discounting it 30% almost off the bat by LEGO did a huge dis-service to the set as it gave it a negative impression and basically quelled any chance at FOMO.

If I am weighing its potential; My greatest fear is re-release territory because that will tie up a ton of capital and space for years.

I think if one was looking to invest $300+ on this round of retirees; it's probably a safer bet to get 3 Chinese New Years sets, or corner garage, or even the batmobile...all likely hits x2 w/ less downside risk than The Disney Train.

The Disney Train is in the same boat as Barracuda Bay...a big set with lots of good stuff...but susceptible for retirement extension and/or re-release. 

• Like 2