71044 - Disney Train and Station

brickvoyeur

I quick flipped the two I purchased during the 30% BF sale...even though I sold them at a fair discount, they took a while to sell.  The inclusion of the power functions components makes this set $100 that it should be.

I was going to keep and build one for my collection, but something about the set just doesn't jive....

Just now, exciter1 said:

Did you not read about the sticker issue with the initial runs?

My only issue with stickers was 1) the 3 carpet tiles had the printing shifted, so when one gets turned around for the end of the carpet, it doesn't like up; and 2) ONE sticker for the train station was on the sheet of stickers for the train! ALL other stickers were separated so you could split and sell separately the building and the train, except that one sticker... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

To be honest, no, I hadn't read about that.  This set doesn't do a whole lot for me, so I'd not been paying attention until the BF deal.  That said, I don't for a second believe that TLG took $100 off the price to move out some sets with wonky stickers.  They didn't blow out the early Wall-E sets for 30% off, and that damn thing couldn't keep his head up.  This set is not moving - bad price, bad stickers, bad concept, bad whatever - take your pick of reasons why.  I would absolutely believe an early retirement for this guy while the castle keeps chugging along.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, exciter1 said:

I had quality control issues with mine having broken pieces (which Lego did replace).  May have been a one-off issue but it doesn't add well to this set's resume from my experience. 

I wonder how this would sell if offered as two separate sets with minifigs split across them.  Example - Goofy and Minnie with the station for $169.99; Mickey and the chipmunks with the train/tracks and power functions for $159.99 (assuming the combined MSRP of $329.99 needed to remain the same).

On 1/2/2020 at 11:58 PM, LegoMan1212 said:

I just checked my VIP account and I received the double bonus VIP pts back from November (the glitch thing if you know what I'm talking about).  In total got over 8,500 pts for it.  Wasn't expecting it, but I'll take it. :) 

I verified the additional 4,290 were added to my account on 12/23

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

so my kid is building this thing and after the train is built, she found there are 2 x 6148307 locomotive wheels not being used. I went through the rest of manual and didn't see those two are used anywhere.

So are those two spares? It just feels weird as lego normally only gives small parts as spares, not big part like that. And we got 6 of those wheels straight out of the bag, matched with the numbers in the part list on the back of the manual.

17 minutes ago, SLL said:

so my kid is building this thing and after the train is built, she found there are 2 x 6148307 locomotive wheels not being used. I went through the rest of manual and didn't see those two are used anywhere.

So are those two spares? It just feels weird as lego normally only gives small parts as spares, not big part like that. And we got 6 of those wheels straight out of the bag, matched with the numbers in the part list on the back of the manual.

I think it's the process of how they package those wheels, in fours or sixes, I forget.  It's apparently cheaper to send you all four/six in one bag with current process and take a loss on two wheels than the cost of injecting a new bagging process just for this set.  Similar to the Lego minifigure tools you sometimes get or the Lego Friends cookware, you get like 10 pieces and the instructions may only call for use of two or three.  The cost benefit must be similar on those wheels for this set.

Edit: aren't they three to a bag like the image and you just don't use the middle one?  Two bags would yield you a two extra wheels. 

85489.png

Edited by MusiKyle
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, MusiKyle said:

I think it's the process of how they package those wheels, in fours or sixes, I forget.  It's apparently cheaper to send you all four/six in one bag with current process and take a loss on two wheels than the cost of injecting a new bagging process just for this set.  Similar to the Lego minifigure tools you sometimes get or the Lego Friends cookware, you get like 10 pieces and the instructions may only call for use of two or three.  The cost benefit must be similar on those wheels for this set.

Edit: aren't they three to a bag like the image and you just don't use the middle one?  Two bags would yield you a two extra wheels. 

85489.png

yes, the middle one didn't get used.

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

https://www.shopdisney.com/disney-train-and-station-playset-by-lego-400909513708.html

hard to buy at RRP when they went to what, 20-30% off right before christmas two years ago?

Black Friday 2019.  I paid $211 for it (36% off).  I may have thrown some points into the transaction, not sure.  But I think it was 30% off.

5 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Black Friday 2019.  I paid $211 for it (36% off).  I may have thrown some points into the transaction, not sure.  But I think it was 30% off.

It was 30% off, I bought one at that time too. They were giving the black friday minifigure at that time as a GWP.

2 hours ago, jdr159 said:

Not sure if it helps anyone but if you live near Disneyland and had an Annual Pass you can use the discount for the train in World of Disney shop there. They had a lot of them a couple of weeks back. 

also note that these were at 30% discount BF LEGO Shop at Home in the year they first came out...and I would suspect something similar as they near retirement...but there's a good chance LEGO opts to keep these around to pair w/ the "ageless" (read, never gonna retire) Cinderella Castle set.

just saying 30% off is nice, but I, personally wouldn't make a trip just for that as it's not that great in the greater scheme of things

• Like 1