Changes to the LEGO VIP Program

legorunner

1 hour ago, ravenb99 said:

All this talk about conversions and no one talked about the one big advantage this could bring especially if trading in points for promo stuff 

You mean the rise in value of Pharma companies on the Dow Jones now they are selling so many more headache pills? Yeah, I´m onto it.

2 hours ago, cambridge02138 said:

Spending

Old System in US: 20 VIP points = US $ 1 redeemed value

New System in US: 130 VIP points = US $ 1 redeemed value

Earning

Old System in US: Spend US $ 1 = Earn 1 VIP point

New System in US: Spend US $ 1 = Earn 6.5 VIP points

Putting Them Together

Old System in US: Buy $100 set, Get 100 VIP points, which have value of $5 

New System in US: Buy $100 set, Get 650 VIP points, which have value of $5 

That kind of validates my point that the old system was simpler.

10 hours ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Pay attention to the - stupid - fact that you actually have to order something to be able to add the CODE you get when you redeem points for a Mustang Keychain. PLUS: you can only use ONE rewards code per order. So for getting the max of 5 keychains from VIP Rewards, you do in fact have to make 5 separate orders afterwards ...

Besides this, has anyone noticed that this code actually must be used within 30 days? I noticed this little disclaimer, which I received AFTER my order for the Ford key chain. 

So now I not only must order to receive the key chain, but also within 30 days. Luckily for me I already had planned to purchase the Harley. 

I wonder what will happen to the points after this 30 days. Will they expire, or will the ‘claim’ on the key chain expire with restitution of the points?

I read on Brickset that the new VIP points system is now based on the Danish Krone, and the amount you get in $ / £ / € (etc) is based on the (current) exchange rate.

1 DKK spent = 1 VIP point, and so ...

1 US$ spent = 6.63 DKK which is ~ 6.5 VIP points

1 £ spent = 8.32 DKK which is ~ 8 VIP points

1 € spent = 7.47 DKK which is ~ 7.5 VIP points

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HandyHand said:

I read on Brickset that the new VIP points system is now based on the Danish Krone, and the amount you get in $ / £ / € (etc) is based on the (current) exchange rate.

1 DKK spent = 1 VIP point, and so ...

1 US$ spent = 6.63 DKK which is ~ 6.5 VIP points

1 £ spent = 8.32 DKK which is ~ 8 VIP points

1 € spent = 7.47 DKK which is ~ 7.5 VIP points

They should have gone with bitcoin.

14 hours ago, cambridge02138 said:

Spending

Old System in US: 20 VIP points = US $ 1 redeemed value

New System in US: 130 VIP points = US $ 1 redeemed value

Earning

Old System in US: Spend US $ 1 = Earn 1 VIP point

New System in US: Spend US $ 1 = Earn 6.5 VIP points

Putting Them Together

Old System in US: Buy $100 set, Get 100 VIP points, which have value of $5 

New System in US: Buy $100 set, Get 650 VIP points, which have value of $5 

So the sheep can "feel better" because they are getting "more" points!!!!

15 minutes ago, scatmanjack said:

Don't really care what LEGO does with future points accrual, they can modify program as they see fit...

But, reducing the value of already acquired points is just the wrong way to treat customers...

But Lego is not reducing the value of the acquired points.  If you had old points with a redemption value of $X under the old system, you should receive the new points in an amount that also has a redemption value of $X under the new system.

However, if two people had a joint account, then Lego would split the account back to the two separate original accounts, while splitting the acquired points evenly between the 2 accounts.  Nevertheless, if you could make a case that most of your prior purchases were associated with 1 of the 2 original accounts, then Lego CS may transfer some/all of the points in 1 account into the other.

Edited by cambridge02138

10 minutes ago, cambridge02138 said:

But Lego is not reducing the value of the acquired points.  If you had old points with a redemption value of $X under the old system, you should receive the new points in an amount that also has a redemption value of $X under the new system.

They did reduce it for me...

I had 700+ points worth $35 in-store credit...

I now have 2100+ points that I cannot even redeem for a $20 in-store credit...

14 minutes ago, scatmanjack said:

1) If your old account was a single-person account with 700 old points, then your new account should have 4550 new points.  If this is not the case, then contact Lego CS.  It has been reported that the transition is not yet fully complete.  However, when the dust settles, you should have the same spending power from your acquired points under the new system.

2) If your old account was a two-person-merged account with 700 old points, then your new account should have 2275 points, while your partner's account should also have 2275 points.

On a related note, Val-E is correct in that point usage is less flexible.  In the US, under the old system, if I buy 2 CMF packs for $7.98, I could redeem sufficient points to pay exactly $7.98.  Under the new system, it appears that I can't.  Also, under the new system, the next tier after $5 redemption is $20 ... and not $10.

Nevertheless, I agree with ravenb99 that the big positive is the opportunity to redeem for GWP products.  Also, don't forget the additional point-earning opportunities.  While some may think that the reward is too little for the work, others may believe that it's worthwhile, especially if your point balance is just a little short of the next redemption tier.

In sum, I believe that the positives outweigh the negatives.

Edited by cambridge02138
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, scatmanjack said:

They are still working on it. They told me give it up to 2 weeks and if it hasn't been converted properly by that time, I should contact them again and they'll reconstruct from my records. You think yours is bad. I had 18,000+ points that got reduced to 710...for now. My concern right now is whether or not purchases during this transition will screw things up even more.

• 2 weeks later...
Mine too! So, who's going to keep theirs and who is thinking of selling?

Mine shipped as well. I wouldn’t mind keeping it, but I don’t know how much the value is going to increase in the future. It’s already pretty high in my opinion, and now we have however many Lego offered through the VIP redemption unexpectedly in the market.
  • Like 1