Minifig investing?

cflannagan

I've only looked at LEGO investing in terms of sets, not minifigs, until recently. I noticed that the shirtless Darth Maul fig I got for free with a TRU order some time ago goes for as much as $20 in recent ebay auctions. I'm beginning to open my eyes more about the minifigs that comes with LEGO sets in general. I am curious about whether or not there is money potential in Series 1 thru 9 (or higher) minifigs - should I, if I have the cash and the interest, try to obtain the earlier Series (1 thru 8), for investment purposes? Or has the ship sailed and is mainly for collectors meaning no money in investing/selling?

I've only looked at LEGO investing in terms of sets, not minifigs, until recently. I noticed that the shirtless Darth Maul fig I got for free with a TRU order some time ago goes for as much as $20 in recent ebay auctions. I'm beginning to open my eyes more about the minifigs that comes with LEGO sets in general.

I am curious about whether or not there is money potential in Series 1 thru 9 (or higher) minifigs - should I, if I have the cash and the interest, try to obtain the earlier Series (1 thru 8), for investment purposes? Or has the ship sailed and is mainly for collectors meaning no money in investing/selling?

Series 1-5 have been gaining in a fairly short amount of time, as they have gone EOL. I believe that they represent an investment, but since they cost $2 at regular retail, it is hard to imagine them selling for more than around $10 after EOL, and even then, you have to have a good/rare minifig for sale.

There is some potential in the earlier series of MINIFIGURES. People that missed out on those and need them to complete their collection will want them badly. It is true that to purchase the earlier ones now will cost more than if you had originally, but there could be an increase in what collectors will pay just for that one Series 1 "Zombie" or Series 6 "Highland Battler" they must have as the numbers available on the secondary market dwindles. The same applies to the current series as time goes by.

I've only looked at LEGO investing in terms of sets, not minifigs, until recently. I noticed that the shirtless Darth Maul fig I got for free with a TRU order some time ago goes for as much as $20 in recent ebay auctions. I'm beginning to open my eyes more about the minifigs that comes with LEGO sets in general.

I am curious about whether or not there is money potential in Series 1 thru 9 (or higher) minifigs - should I, if I have the cash and the interest, try to obtain the earlier Series (1 thru 8), for investment purposes? Or has the ship sailed and is mainly for collectors meaning no money in investing/selling?

There's a big difference in the shirtless Darth Maul minifig compared to the regular minifigs that some with each Lego CMF series. It was much much much more limited in quantity and availability.

There's a big difference in the shirtless Darth Maul minifig compared to the regular minifigs that some with each Lego CMF series. It was much much much more limited in quantity and availability.

Right - I'm not saying I expect shirtless Darth Maul numbers for the other minifigs.. I'm only saying it've increased my awareness into minifigs as a distinct focus separate from typical collection of bricks in LEGO sets.

I am starting to become a big minifig collector now. I do see some potential for all the series. I could see certain figs doing better than others and the less popular ones still making a modest profit. Maybe not on the level as polybags but still something. I was thinking of going over each series and identifying the most valuable ones from each series. Obviously, you have the zombie from series 1 and the spartan from series 2. What else seems to demand the most?

Obviously, you have the zombie from series 1 and the spartan from series 2. What else seems to demand the most?

How about the "Roswell Alien" from Series 6? I don't know about current demand for him (or it?), but he is a very unique and classic character. He has a completely original headpiece, plus the gun parts in those colors are exclusive. One of my favorites.