Need some EBay selling advice?

jbacunn

Nope, Turns out I received 2 “your item sold” notifications - one saying I have 10 days to ship as per my handling time, the other saying I have 1 day to ship to the GSP facility. I’m just going to send my buyer a note to let them know this ships out on Monday, and use the handling time and the first email as ammunition should Ebay get nasty with me.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Phil B said:
7 hours ago, Migration said:
Next time just set vacation mode and avoid the issue.

No vacation mode when you dont have a store

The fees are high enough without paying through the nose for a store also. I list for 10 days at around the recent lowest price and 99% of the time, everything sells. For a turkey that HAS to go, I start an auction at £0.01 with free postage. I even remember selling a Friends Pet Salon for £0.01 and I even put a penny in the box to give away the damn thing!

I also allow 7 days grace between a listing ending and when I have to travel. Not too bothered now as eBay is <5% of my sales.

4 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

The fees are high enough without paying through the nose for a store also. I list for 10 days at around the recent lowest price and 99% of the time, everything sells. For a turkey that HAS to go, I start an auction at £0.01 with free postage. I even remember selling a Friends Pet Salon for £0.01 and I even put a penny in the box to give away the damn thing!

I also allow 7 days grace between a listing ending and when I have to travel. Not too bothered now as eBay is <5% of my sales.

Do you have inventory costs? I fail to understand burning money...

37 minutes ago, Migration said:

Isn’t a basic store like $5 a month? It’s worth it to not have to deal with a headache such as this don’t you think?

Yep. Pretty much if you sell more than a dozen items of the same product group at once, it's worth it. It's not always the cost, as the store itself allows "foot traffic", so to speak. In the description of all my items, I mention that if they're interested in this product, they can view more in my store, and frankly an impactful % of my sales are multi orders and/or returning customers.

It's often repeated in LEGO fan groups that ebay are "full" of scammers and fake stuff. So oftentimes, reputation matters, and when they experience a good transaction, they'll often browse the same seller's store first, oftentimes willing to pay the extra 5-10% more than to risk buying from another unknown seller.

In short, a store has significant intangible benefits that is not simply the + and - of profitability.

Reliability is profitable.

I find that the vacation mode can sometimes deter a buyer from making a purchase - I much prefer to change the handling times.

If the vacation is an extended one, I will contact the buyer, thanking them while also reminding them that I am away (extended handling time), and if there is any issue with the delay they could let me know (and I will cancel, if needed).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KShine said:

I find that the vacation mode can sometimes deter a buyer from making a purchase - I much prefer to change the handling times.

If the vacation is an extended one, I will contact the buyer, thanking them while also reminding them that I am away (extended handling time), and if there is any issue with the delay they could let me know (and I will cancel, if needed).

When I am on vacation I do not want to think about work.  And this whole selling stuffs on eBay is work for me

• Like 2

Just now, Darth_Raichu said:

I know what you meant, I've worked as a contractor with no paid vacation.  But I have a more European view on this.  Vacation is where I disengage from my daily grind (including work). 

A few emails isn't that big a deal - The work is when I return, and (hopefully) have a bunch of sales needing to be shipped out.

5 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I know what you meant, I've worked as a contractor with no paid vacation.  But I have a more European view on this.  Vacation is where I disengage from my daily grind (including work). 

Yes, Europeans actually live life to live.

It amazed me while vacationing years ago how everyone would take the month off, with no one interested in taking advantage of working while everyone else was away. Same thing with the afternoon closings/siestas.

Items can and do sell during vacation mode, you just don’t have to ship until you get back.

I think it's more of a personality thing. If you can't enjoy vacation because something in your mind (a pending sale) is eating at you, vacation mode is the way to go.
Sellers that aren't imaging a buyer stewing and refreshing tracking every 10 secs, cursor hovering over negative feedback before it's even shipped...well you might be fine with delayed handling.

I didn't realize there was a newer Starter plan. I know it got to a point where the monthly listing fees exceeded the store fee, so it just made sense. Having store-like categories & vacation mode (+$25 for quarterly shipping supplies) are nice pluses.