Need some EBay selling advice?

jbacunn

4 minutes ago, kumas said:

I used National Post service for 35$ bcs other couriers dont ship to Russia or shipping is in hundreds $. The package is fully insured against loss so that scenario would be best for me :) but I am afraid of some type of scam which I cant do anything about.

Easiest solution going forward is not to put the shipping cost as an automatic option for intnl buyers and have the buyer request a price before buying  - then you can vet them first. If one looks dodgy then demand payment by bank transfer.

Edited by Val-E

2 hours ago, kumas said:

I used National Post service for 35$ bcs other couriers dont ship to Russia or shipping is in hundreds $. The package is fully insured against loss so that scenario would be best for me :) but I am afraid of some type of scam which I cant do anything about.

Found one reseller in Peter who sells it for less than 400 euros, http://sankt-peterburg.topbricks.ru/product/324/lego-7994-city-harbour

if you sold it for the same money or more it should be a scam

Edited by Pet-Brick-er

• 4 weeks later...

I'm stuck on a sale,  I have a buyer using an address starting like so:

4PX Transrush Unit 5 Trident way
DNVYAG

Straight I thought to myself this is getting cancelled. However looking at their feedback they have bought from several familiar names that are on this forum.

I assume this is a forwarder, however what does DNVYAG mean?

It's an expensive item (QAR), that has been sold previously to 2 fraudulent buyers so far this year, Have i got the hat-trick on 1 set?

3 hours ago, John82 said:

I'm stuck on a sale,  I have a buyer using an address starting like so:

4PX Transrush Unit 5 Trident way
DNVYAG

Straight I thought to myself this is getting cancelled. However looking at their feedback they have bought from several familiar names that are on this forum.

I assume this is a forwarder, however what does DNVYAG mean?

It's an expensive item (QAR), that has been sold previously to 2 fraudulent buyers so far this year, Have i got the hat-trick on 1 set?

It's the equivalent of their box number so the package gets to them. Usually will have there name and then the box code. Sometimes it will be below the address to as well as in there name.  

That one has never been an issue.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

It's the equivalent of their box number so the package gets to them. Usually will have there name and then the box code. Sometimes it will be below the address to as well as in there name.  

That one has never been an issue.  

Brilliant, thanks for clarifying that for me :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
I have a question fellas. I have a set that was missing a bag. I found the bag from another incomplete set. However the bag does not have the white shaded bar going across it. Just the number. Anything I should worry about or will all the pieces be there? Thoughts appreciated...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

Just old style bags (2011, no white bar) and new style bags (2015 onwards) mixed together is no biggie, LEGO does this themselves all the time. (Though recently less and less, I guess they are slowly running out of the older type bags)
  • Like 2

I just got an message this morning. A buyer is claiming that I sent them the wrong set. I informed them that I'd look into it and asked them to send a photo verifying the set that was sent to them.  It's highly plausible I sent them the wrong set since the box sizes are very similar as is the color of the set.

What should my next steps be? Should I tell them to re-send the set to me and I'll compensate with S&H? Should I send out the correct set, if it turns out I'm in error OR wait until get back the set I sent.  Thoughts on this?

This is the first time I've had anything approaching a return via eBay!  

5 minutes ago, TANV said:

I just got an message this morning. A buyer is claiming that I sent them the wrong set. I informed them that I'd look into it and asked them to send a photo verifying the set that was sent to them.  It's highly plausible I sent them the wrong set since the box sizes are very similar as is the color of the set.

What should my next steps be? Should I tell them to re-send the set to me and I'll compensate with S&H? Should I send out the correct set, if it turns out I'm in error OR wait until get back the set I sent.  Thoughts on this?

This is the first time I've had anything approaching a return via eBay!  

If you feel it seems likely (and it sounds like you do), I would apologize, and let the buyer know that you are open to whatever works best for them. If it were a very inexpensive item, I would let them keep it, and send out a replacement - If it has value, I would ship out the replacement one as soon as the tracking for the return showed it was picked up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, KShine said:

If you feel it seems likely (and it sounds like you do), I would apologize, and let the buyer know that you are open to whatever works best for them. If it were a very inexpensive item, I would let them keep it, and send out a replacement - If it has value, I would ship out the replacement one as soon as the tracking for the return showed it was picked up.

That sounds like a good plan. I'll verify if I sent the wrong set when I get home. If I did not, then we got ourselves a WHOLE DIFFERENT BALL GAME.

7 hours ago, KShine said:

So, I just double checked my inventory lists and my sales receipts of various purchases.  The buyer sent me a photo of a 40197 Wedding Favor 2018.  I sold them a 40237 Easter Egg Hunt and I just combed through my boxes to make sure. 

I think I'm being scammed.  In fact, I'm 100% certain since I with my record keeping, I know for a fact I only purchased 40197 three months back and used its pieces to make a LEGO ring box. But that's a different topic.

So, I haven't apologized or promised anything. I said I'd look into it and asked for photo verification.  The set was confirmed delivered with the tracking information.

What's a good course of action, if any?

So, I just double checked my inventory lists and my sales receipts of various purchases.  The buyer sent me a photo of a 40197 Wedding Favor 2018.  I sold them a 40237 Easter Egg Hunt and I just combed through my boxes to make sure. 
I think I'm being scammed.  In fact, I'm 100% certain since I with my record keeping, I know for a fact I only purchased 40197 three months back and used its pieces to make a LEGO ring box. But that's a different topic.
So, I haven't apologized or promised anything. I said I'd look into it and asked for photo verification.  The set was confirmed delivered with the tracking information.
What's a good course of action, if any?

Since these are low value sets, either a) send him the correct set, B) refund him and let him keep it, c) refund and have him ship it back on your cost or d) pay for his return shipping and look into sourcing him the correct set. I doubt someone would scam you over a $10 retail set, and even if they did, the hassle is not worth it for me.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Since these are low value sets, either a) send him the correct set, B) refund him and let him keep it, c) refund and have him ship it back on your cost or d) pay for his return shipping and look into sourcing him the correct set. I doubt someone would scam you over a $10 retail set, and even if they did, the hassle is not worth it for me.

Eh, it's a low value set but it's the principle of the thing. I'll ask her to ship it back to me and then I'll refund them for the cost of the S&H plus the set itself.  I mean that seems to be prudent and likely to gain a response.

I know I sent out the correct set but this is really weird that I'm being scammed over a $10 set.

• 3 weeks later...

A zero feedback buyer purchased a $100 set from me late Friday. I have a 2 business day handling time. I printed the shipping label Sunday night and then realized that the buyer had zero feedback. I sent her a message Sunday to confirm the purchase and have yet to receive a reply. Should I just ship the item since the transaction is eligible under the PayPal Seller Protection? Never sold to a zero feedback buyer before, but I guess buyers have to start somewhere. I just wish she would've replied by now.

3 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

A zero feedback buyer purchased a $100 set from me late Friday. I have a 2 business day handling time. I printed the shipping label Sunday night and then realized that the buyer had zero feedback. I sent her a message Sunday to confirm the purchase and have yet to receive a reply. Should I just ship the item since the transaction is eligible under the PayPal Seller Protection? Never sold to a zero feedback buyer before, but I guess buyers have to start somewhere. I just wish she would've replied by now.

I it's been pointed out that often this is an EBay Guest purchase.  It could have been a zero feedback buyer.  I personally have never (or very rarely) had an issue with this.

• Thanks 1

I have a question for those experienced eBay sellers.  Does Paypal send 1099 to IRS and me if I sell 80 items but total is over $50,000?  My guess is no because my understanding is that the condition has to be both 200 transactions AND over $20,000 in any calendar year.  Just want to confirm if anyone has actual experience in this.  Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, kenchu2000 said:

I have a question for those experienced eBay sellers.  Does Paypal send 1099 to IRS and me if I sell 80 items but total is over $50,000?  My guess is no because my understanding is that the condition has to be both 200 transactions AND over $20,000 in any calendar year.  Just want to confirm if anyone has actual experience in this.  Thanks in advance.

Do you live in MA or VT? If you live in MA, if you rake in over $600 in transactions as a seller, you get issued a 1099K from Paypal.  That threshold is significantly lower than what the IRS requires.

MA State FAQ about 1099K

VT State FAQ about 1099K

4 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Just for clarity: even if Ebay submits no forms to the IRS, if you buy and sell LEGO for profit purposes (i.e. not your own personal used sets that you are slowly selling off) you should report it.

we haven't been down this yellow brick road in ages....:popcorn:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kenchu2000 said:

Here are a couple proper threads.

Noticed something interesting on my ebay bill this month, 

All the FedEx shipping rates for my assembly squares where 30-50% less then the estimates given by ebay.   

is this normal? its been a couple years since I have shipped anything large from ebay, but I dont recall ever seeing that significant a difference.