10189 - Taj Mahal

stackables

I've considered bricklinking this set.  I've done it with the UCS MF, and it was actually a lot of fun to acquire the pieces over time.  And I know this will be a lot easier just for the fact that every single piece is common and relatively cheap.  It's just the sheer volume of 5900 pieces that's crazy.

Has anyone done this recently in the last 6 months or so and if possible, how much did it cost?  I'm trying to gauge if I should bricklink it, or save the money and try to find a used copy.

I've considered bricklinking this set.  I've done it with the UCS MF, and it was actually a lot of fun to acquire the pieces over time.  And I know this will be a lot easier just for the fact that every single piece is common and relatively cheap.  It's just the sheer volume of 5900 pieces that's crazy.

I wouldn't say that all the pieces are common, but most are fairly common that they are not expensive. There are only a few pieces that are expensive for this set.

I'll let you know w/in 3 months.   i'll be doing a build review of 10189 and 10196 GC. 

It does look awesome.  if it displays as nice as of the 10181 ET, it's a winner.

So this set used is worth over 1k...as is the UCS Falcon, Statue of Liberty, and Grand Carousel.  Am I missing any from that list?  Big exclusives worth over a grand used?

I wouldn't say that all the pieces are common, but most are fairly common that they are not expensive. There are only a few pieces that are expensive for this set.

right.  additionally, shipping will increase costs just trying to find buyers with the correct # of elements.  limiting the # of diff purchases is key.  i wonder if one would be saving much instead of buying a complete used one .

Has anyone done this recently in the last 6 months or so and if possible, how much did it cost?  I'm trying to gauge if I should bricklink it, or save the money and try to find a used copy.

I did it last year with all new pieces for $800.  There really aren't that many rare pieces, but like you said, it's the shear volume of 6000 pieces.  With it being almost all white, I didn't want mine to look like crap so I went with new.  I have not yet procured instructions either, that's another $100+.  I purchased quite a bit from LEGO Shop at Home since they have the quantities you need in many of the pieces.  The yellow technic ell goes in and out of stock, don't give up on it if it's gone for the time being, and don't pay the crazy bricklink prices.  Definitely price out different pieces at the different sites.  Some are cheaper on Bricklink, and vice versa.  Now that Bricks and Pieces on LEGO Shop at Home shows pricing up front, that will save you some time since you used to have to wait for their invoice to see what the parts cost. 

• Like 2

Oh that's awesome Huskers.  I didn't realize that the bricks and pieces started doing that.  That was a pain when I was piecing the MF.  Waiting for these long lists of invoices to come back only to find that some of the parts weren't worth buying from them.

With the yellow technic pieces, that's where I got mine from was from Lego B&P.  It was significantly cheaper than $4 a piece from bricklink.

But luckily, with some pieces, I know Bricks and Pieces has them in stock and it wouldn't be hard to get the proper quantity.  So overall I'm not terribly concerned.

And I wouldn't mind spending the 100+ on the instruction book.  It's not like there's anything super fancy about the packaging or pieces.  Unlike the MF...$400+ box, $400+ instructions, $200 sticker, etc.

If you can get them or have already purchased them at a discount, some of the Architecture sets have a lot of the needed pieces in quantity, specifically the 21015 Leaning Tower of Pisa (66% match, get 2), 21004 Guggenheim Museum (68% match) and 21050 Architecture Studio (56% match). Those 4 sets alone have about 1260 (21%) of the pieces you need.

Rebrickable also has a feature (now sort of hidden) where you can enter set #'s and it will tell you how many pieces of those sets can be used.

Here is an example with the 4 sets I mentioned:

http://rebrickable.com/build_set_parts?s=10189-1&setlist=1&partlist=1&s1=21004-1&s2=21015-1&s3=21050-1&s4=21015-1&c=2&ignore_print=1&ignore_mold=1&ignore_alt=1&ignore_minifig=1&ignore_nonlego=1

Edited by grackleflint
  • Like 1

This set in my opinion is not worth the effort of bl'ing it. It is large, but boring in its repiditive build. The dome is cool.

The Tower Bridge is entirely repetitive, but I still had fun building that.  And honestly, it's not the building that I'm interested in.  It's the entire model itself.  I build and display all my Legos, and I already have the SOH, and TB, and really want to build this set.

The Eiffel Tower is more repetitive than both of these models, but it's still awesome to watch it go up and up. 

• Like 1

yes, just a tad repetitive. ha

i actually enjoyed it more than building 10179.  when it comes together (the lower 3rd), you will be like "wow" (if you're anything like me) :)   

the design is awesome (and fragile) and it amazed me how the 4 base supports come together.   that is why i started my build top to bottom.

The Eiffel Tower is more repetitive than both of these models, but it's still awesome to watch it go up and up. 

yes, just a tad repetitive. ha

i actually enjoyed it more than building 10179.  when it comes together (the lower 3rd), you will be like "wow" (if you're anything like me) :)   

the design is awesome (and fragile) and it amazed me how the 4 base supports come together.   that is why i started my build top to bottom.

The set is an absolute work of art (10181), extremely fragile until each section comes together.  The time it must have taken to figure that one out must be mind blowing.  Taj Mahal is a bit more straightforward, though the dome is very impressive to put together.  Thanks again, JA, for getting me one.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest TabbyBoy
3 hours ago, Bold-Arrow said:

So now Lego is into Resurrection? I thought was reserved for Lord Voldemort and religion. Must be the new craze . Gotta try to bring my granny back once I’m done with my fba shipments  

I had a feeling that resurrection would be rife one day since the Winter Village Market and Technic Race Truck returned. Since “investing” isn’t what it was, a lot of us have moved into retail arbitrage. The question is... Which bombshells will LEGO drop next, Green Grocer & Cafe Corner?

This will probably cause HUGE damage to the LEGO company.

Any company that fails to adapt or come up with new ideas eventually gets removed from the marketplace.

I had a feeling that resurrection would be rife one day since the Winter Village Market and Technic Race Truck returned. Since “investing” isn’t what it was, a lot of us have moved into retail arbitrage. The question is... Which bombshells will LEGO drop next, Green Grocer & Cafe Corner?
Any company that fails to adapt or come up with new ideas eventually gets removed from the marketplace.

At least with GG and CC they can do some rework, like giving them full interiors and such.

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

Is this catering to the market of people wanting expensive sets? Or is it Lego running out of ideas?  It's money to be made for people that wanted sets like these and missed out.  Look at the Falcon.  Overwhelming demand according to them, rumors that they produced initially a 6 month supply and that was burnt out in pre orders.  I see this as them trying to capitalize the market for newer fans seeing older sets.  Untapped potential for popular high value sets.  Who wants to pay $3000-4000 for a Lego set.  This is afterall a toy company, not a company that's meant to cater towards investors.  If a set was originally $280, and it resells for $3000.  That's money lost for Lego.  I see Lego Group seeing the success with the Falcon and just putting two and two together on older sets that could bank more money for them.  They haven't changed the production schedule for the Falcon, they are just making more sets.  I doubt this would be much of a hit to them to make more.

If anything what this could hurt is the reseller market which is a huge market for Lego.  People might not feel as safe piling up the more expensive sets or keeping a stock pile in fear of longer shelf life and rehashes. 

Edited by Klownicle
  • Like 1