10189 - Taj Mahal

stackables

• 8 months later...

Any suggestions or tips on buying an already built Taj Mahal from a local?

They claim that there is only one missing piece.

Do I break it down and start counting?   :heat:

Or should I visually inspect every nook and cranny?

This set has all the manuals but missing the box.

Will that effect the value when I sell?

Guest davewager78

The more expensive the set, generally, the bigger the drop in price for not having the box. However, if you're buying it first, then you'll also save at that end of the deal. Buying an expensive set used, then selling used, shouldn't lose you any money.

As to how to check it's all there, is it still built? If so, familiarise yourself with precisely what it should look like, then have a look over it. If it's just missing a few pieces, make sure what you pay reflects that. If not still built, can you have a look over it, then check the weight? If there are no obvious megablocks or duplo in the pile, then you should be ok

From when I BL'd mine, I don't remember any real rare pieces outside of the black technic parts that are on the interior.  It's just the shear magnitude of the piece count.  I would think if it was displayed and they are worried about a possible missing piece, it will be from one of the spires or the tip of the dome.  It's a pretty structurally sound building.

• Like 1

From when I BL'd mine, I don't remember any real rare pieces outside of the black technic parts that are on the interior.  It's just the shear magnitude of the piece count.  I would think if it was displayed and they are worried about a possible missing piece, it will be from one of the spires or the tip of the dome.  It's a pretty structurally sound building.

Do you mind me asking how much that cost?  I know the manuals can go for 80+

• Like 1

Good to know there aren't any real rare pieces!

Good guess!  Missing yellow bar/dome tip ($0.06 at Brick Owl)...

$600... (Transferring account money as we speak...)   :victory:

Thanks for the replies!

I BL'd mine for a shade over $800.  This was all new parts, no used.  I did not want off white parts included in my TM.  I did make a large order with LEGO Shop at Home on parts that were in large quantity such as the turnstyle base in white and also the yellow technic parts since they go for a ton on BL because of being in 10179. 

I do not have manuals at this time but am always looking for a set to complete my TM.  I missed a set on ebay a while ago and a crappy set went for over $100 on BL.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great call on those who said to avoid the set. The post turned out to be his only negative feedback. Item wasn't delivered.

Anyway, has anyone seen this set's box with a black sticker over the parts info? I did a Google but didn't find anything.

I have seen such things - Most likely it is a European box that was updated with info for selling in the US.

We need that extra info here (too many people doing things they shouldn't - like drying their pets in the microwave, etc.).

• 4 weeks later...

So this set used is worth over 1k...as is the UCS Falcon, Statue of Liberty, and Grand Carousel.  Am I missing any from that list?  Big exclusives worth over a grand used?

Also this one....852293 LEGO Castle Giant Chess Set.  Had one years ago, got stolen, found another at a yard sale...it's an amazing set.

• Like 1